Used 2000 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Bmw 3-series - Consumer Reviews

2000 BMW 3 Series Sedan

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Great car until it needs maintenance
By LtBill

2000 BMW 3 Series Sedan 323i 4dr Sedan

I am the original owner. It is garage kept and only has 71,000 miles. I have really enjoyed it - it still looks almost new. However, like other reviewers, I have had maintenance issues - all 4 window regulators broke early on (was told they are made by a vendor of BMW), both headlights and three turn signal bulbs replaced, windshield wiper fluid reservoir leaked and was replaced. Also have creaking and thumping of frame which my mechanic could not diagnose. Now I may need the bushings replaced and the ABS may also need to be replaced - over $5,000 for both in addition to normal maintenance. If it comes to that I will be looking for another car. I do not trust it long term.

Favorite Features

power, performance, styling, safety

Suggested Improvements

Components should last as long as their Japanese counterparts.

Impressed
By Lance

2000 BMW 3 Series Sedan 323i 4dr Sedan

This fun little gas sipper has changed my mind about BMW. I always thought of them as an overpriced equivalent to Volkswagen. First, The power to weight ratio is great. Secondly, the ride and handling is sporty enough to zip around country roads in but not so stiff you can't enjoy a long haul on the interstates. Lastly, the fuel economy is astounding. I get 33-35 MPG highway and an overall average of 25.7. I don't baby it or drive it like it's stolen, I just drive it the way one should. Maintenance has not been horrible. A new set of tires (touring 4 season) $600 with line up, window regulators $200 each installed, oil changes are $80 for BMW filter and full synthetic oil (15,000 mi).

Favorite Features

Excellent daily driver for anyone looking for a smaller sedan with a good build quality and resale value. This has been a fun car to own and drive.

Suggested Improvements

The auto climate control is just less than perfect. The back seat passengers do not have vents. Also, you must select a/c even in 'auto' mode. The oem window regulators use plastic pulleys that wear out. Prepare to spend $200-250 per window when they go out. I lost 3 in two weeks!

Buy a ford Instead
By WEA in TEXAS

2000 BMW 3 Series Sedan 323i 4dr Sedan

This is my first BMW. It has been a reliability and maintenance nightmare I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. And it has been properly maintained. The car hasn't gone four weeks in a row without requiring major work. To date all four window regulator have had to be replaced, all six ignition coils, both cam sensors, the MAS, both front control arm assemblies, the transmission had to be replaced, the o2 sensors, and the list goes on and on and the damn engine light is still on. Average cost for repair and maintenance per year $3,000.00. My Ford F150 has 200K on it and it has only required one O2 sensor, tires, a battery, and oil changes.

Favorite Features

Driving it when it runs which is rarely.

Suggested Improvements

Scrap the design, fire the union workers, start from scratch.

Stay away from this model year
By Mark

2000 BMW 3 Series Sedan 323i 4dr Sedan

First, I will say that this car is one that is fun to drive. And I have not driven a car that performs better (steering, engine performance). People have written about the high cost of fixing all of the little things that DO go wrong with this car. However, once the car has been returned to me I fall in love with the car again and again. My major problem with the car is that this car has serious reliability problems. I have experienced two problems that show up many times with other drivers of same vehicle. One problem is that this car has a weak subframe that has a tendency to CRACK (BMW fixed for free - see class action lawsuit). Also, see issues with transmission.

Favorite Features

Drives like no other car. Love the exterior and interior quality.

Suggested Improvements

Improve reliability.

Good Looking Lemon
By Kim

2000 BMW 3 Series Sedan 323i 4dr Sedan

Had owned 2 previous BMWs. After the warranty expired, within a couple of years it cost me $12,000 in repairs. Had to replace transmission, control arm, and power steering. This all from someone who drives once a week with a max. of 5000 kms a year. Wished I would have read all the driver reviews before buying it almost brand new from a distant cousin. Low mileage, looks brand new inside and out but do not trust driving it on the highway. Give your money to a panhandler instead. Sits handsomely in the garage. Looking for a new car.

Favorite Features

Appearance of exterior and interior.

Suggested Improvements

Build a car with a return on value for the cost.