2000 BMW 3 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
Be smart, avoid the dealer.
By NeverGoingAmerican on 03/20/08 10:51 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for 5 years and if I can have things my way, I'll never buy anything BUT a BMW. It's a joy to drive, styling is sporty without being gaudy, and after a car wash, I could swear I was looking at a brand new Beemer. Maintenance costs are high after the warranty has run out. Be smart, and DON'T go to the dealer to fix every little thing. I recently had my brakes repaired (new rotors, pads and sensors) for $700, the dealer wanted $1900. Do yourself a favor and hunt around your city to find a reliable BMW certified mechanic. If you do this, long maintenance will be much more managable.

First Car
By David on 03/15/08 20:25 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series Sedan 323i 4dr Sedan

I had wanted a BMW since I was little and I got a 323i for my 16th birthday. I love this car! It has everything you could want. Handle like a dream. Has all the speed you need, with very good gas mileage. After owning it for about 3 months though things started to go wrong, and the repair can be VERY costly! The car is very safe too. I was in a rear end collision and the other car was total but hardly any damage was done it my car. I would recommend this car to everyone, but have it inspected FIRST!

Not a Long term Car
By S Alllen on 12/16/07 10:31 AM (PST)

2000 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

Bought this vehicle for travel. It looks great, but wow, for a high rated vehicle, i wouldn't buy another BMW. The windows fall into the doors (BMW dealer says thats normal) and cost to fix $$$$. Heater doesn't work well, air doesn't work well. The heated seats they work. Wouldn't recommend a used BMW or keep one past 3 years. Not worth the extra money!

7 years and counting
By Bryncerdd on 06/24/07 11:44 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car on the basis of promised road-handling and prior experience with an earlier BMW. Some minor issues which should not have occurred (malfunctioning sun roof, malfunctioning ignition switch) have been the only problems. The car handles delightfully, has a shorter turning radius than any four-door car I have encountered, looks good inside and out. This is not an economy car, and may be overrated by some enthusiasts, but it is still a safe and enjoyable means of transportation. I could, and do, recommend it to any potential purchaser.

Long term keepsake.
By Julio M. on 06/18/07 21:47 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

It is expensive to maintain after the honeymoon (warranty), i.e. inspection #1, #2 and #3 and tires, oil change. Some dealers use the "access by dealer only" to sell unneeded part, plus outrageous hourly fees. I bought mine new but I would recommend to someone with a good income after 100,000 miles. Very reliable, powerful and fast on the Autobahn. Stateside a Mustang in a barn.

Too expensive to maintain after warranty
By Calzone on 05/02/07 13:31 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series Sedan 323i 4dr Sedan

Nice sports sedan, lots of fun to drive in dry weather. Poor handling in snow, and very costly in repairs once the warranty expired. Several issues with AC unit, latest $1,200 for an evaporator. Real wheel spring broke after 60K miles. I am selling and getting a Honda.

First Ultimate driving machine - Wow!
By Anthony Greenidge on 11/25/06 01:32 AM (PST)

2000 BMW 3 Series Sedan 323i 4dr Sedan

Now I see what all the hoopla is about. I was warned once you drive a BMW you can never go back to anything else. Well they were absolutely correct, excellent driving car. Put 20,000 miles on it already in just 7 months. Any excuse to drive this car. Love the handling after coming from an 95 SHO Taurus. Car looks and drives just as good as my neighbors 2005 325 for $10,000 less. Can`t wait to get my 3 series convertible next summer.

Truly the ultimate driving machine
By Weldon L Kuretsch on 09/20/06 20:16 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series Sedan 323i 4dr Sedan

This is the third 3 Series BMW I have owned and each car has gotten better than the the previous one. On my first BMW maintenance was rather often and expensive. It is totally different now. Oil changes are at 15,000 mile intervals and I have had no major repairs on the car at 75,000 miles. It truly is the ultimate driving machine and I will continue to own them as long as it is possible for me to do so.

Phantom Electrical Problem
By SusanU on 08/29/06 15:25 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series Sedan 323i 4dr Sedan

This car has been fine, but many things were fixed under warranty. I would have hated to pay for that and I was not happy with service at BMW (not the dealer at which I purchased my car), but that's another rating. Right now, there is a phantom electrical problem that causes the windshield wipers sometimes to stop working. I also noticed the door locks malfunctioned a couple of times. I have a good mechanic (ex-BMW tech from the dealer) but he said he can't locate the problem unless it stops working long enough for him to put it on the computer. So far, by the time we get there, it's started working again.

Automatic Windows are Poor
By Joe NY on 07/18/06 18:54 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series Sedan 323i 4dr Sedan

Drive train wise the car is fantastic. Plenty of get up and go with the slighest touch of the gas peddle. Aesthetically it is still the most attractive on the road. Still get looks for a nearly 7 year old car. In winter I use 4 snows and have no problems even got home in an ice storm. I have a standard shift and its so fun to drive on the curves in the Adirondacks.