Used 2000 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

BEWARE FRAME Issue on all E46 models BEFORE You Buy
By stockman77

2000 BMW 3 Series 323Ci 2dr Coupe

I've owned 7 BMW's, 3-E46s and have only learned recently that all E46s had a Class Action law suit for a defective frame build. I just bought my 323ci 6 months ago & after an inspection was told my frame is cracked and in need of repair. BMW initially told me they weren't going to offer any assistance until I mentioned litigation and now they are "determining" what they'll do if anything beyond what I was told thus far. I bought this car because I know the 3-series very well and have come to depend on BMW's brand but NEVER would've bought the car, without a detailed frame inspection at least, had I known about this immense problem. The Repair is about DOUBLE what the car is worth.

Favorite Features

Style, build, reliability (except for frame care), driving experience.

Suggested Improvements

Better Customer Care & Disclosure about the problem to any prospective buyers. The Frame issue is a known issue at this point although there's little on the internet about it unless you know what to look for. All VINs should be associated with a frame warning which should be reflected on Carfaxs etc.

Once you own one, you'll be hooked
By followasign

2000 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

This is hands down one of the best driving experiences you'll ever have. Words really can not describe the "emotions" you feel when driving a BMW, you really should just drive one. I own 3 BMWs (one 5 Series and two 3 Series) and have had no major problems with them. My 323i is my project car and has been nothing but a pleasure to work on. Actually BMW's are the easiest car I have ever worked on. I completely rebuilt the front end, including struts, on my 323i for less than $400 and about 4 hrs. I replaced all 4 brake rotors, pads and sensors for less than $200 and a COMPLETE brake job took less than an hour!!! NEVER take the car to the Stealership, you will [violative content deleted] in parts & labor cost.

Favorite Features

Handling, styling and the stock sound system is great.

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of any when compaired to previous cars I have owned. My 323i has over 190,000 miles on it and it still runs like new, so there is not much to complain about.

Broke My Wallet
By Broke My Wallet

2000 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

A maintenance nightmare. I have spent thousands fixing this car, one thing after another. I now have it working great and intend to sell it before something else goes wrong. However, it handles great on the road and is a very cool car. The looks sold me, but I should have looked beyond the outside appearance. Now I am paying for it. I should have known that BMW stands for Broke My Wallet

Favorite Features

Styling, handling on curvy mountain roads-no need to slow down on curves

Suggested Improvements

Fix the mechanical. The coolness is not worth the high cost of maintaining. I will never buy another BMW.

Not as bad as everyone says it is!
By Ken B.

2000 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

Most everyone here complaints about the car being unreliable. Most of them also claims that they have replaced major things on their 10 yr old cars. I have been a BMW owner since 1994 and have driven nothing but BMW's ever since. Here's the real deal: Yes they have their quirks (window regulators, etc.) but most of the complaints I've read here involves just basic maintenance. Yes the cooling system are not 100% but with a little TLC one can update all the issues and drive a Bimmer for 600,000+km for a lot less than a Civic! Don't be taken in by the hype, these cars are great and don't cost a lot to maintain! Stick with a manual transmission, the autos WILL fail if not maintained properly!

Favorite Features

The performance package! The seats are more comfy than the regular seats and looks very racy! The 3 spoke steering is great too!

They don't come better at this price
By Beak

2000 BMW 3 Series 328Ci 2dr Coupe

I am coming up on 11 years (145K miles) with this vehicle. I am still impressed every time I get in (shared with the wife). This car is fun to drive, is spirited enough and gets nearly 30 MPG around town. Never have had any reliability issues (still has the original plugs and clutch). I still like the way it looks and I'll drive it until ...

Favorite Features

Classic styling, sporty handling, 30 MPG, solid reliability,

Suggested Improvements

Some minor improvements but too technical to describe here.