2000 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
DO NOT BUY THIS CAR
By broken hearted on 01/14/10 00:35 AM (PST)

2000 BMW 3 Series 323Ci 2dr Coupe

Love the car. This car has way too many repairs. Transmission problems 5000, windows 350 cooling system 1600 sensors 300+ cracked head 4000 and on and on. This car is so unreliable? The reviews are either great car or terrible car. What is their problem? They just can't make the car 100% ??

Happy owner
By Happy on 12/23/09 10:51 AM (PST)

2000 BMW 3 Series 323Ci 2dr Convertible

I must say that the reliability is not as bad as some reviewers are saying. I bought my 2000 convertible in 2006 with 45000 miles. I now have 137000 miles and have only changed the oil regularly and just did the rear brake pads. I commute 100 miles a day for work and feel confidant this will get me there and home again in style. The car is fun to drive! Take care of it, and it should take care of you.

I got the lemon
By Rich on 10/11/09 17:49 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series 323iT 4dr Wagon

I initially bought the 2000 BMW Sport Wagon used with just 20,000 miles. It ran great with no problems until it went past 60,000 miles. After 60,000 miles I've had frequent phantom problems with the check engine light (and yes, I've checked the fuel cap every time...it was fine). I've had plastic bits breaking in all 4 windows regulators (one of them twice) and the sunroof clips (I hardly use the sunroof too). I've had electrical problems with the air conditioner, anti-lock brakes/traction/stability control, rear view mirrors and door locks. But, that's not all. I've always taken it to the BMW Dealer for repairs and maintenance to make sure it was done right. I think I got the lemon!

Stay away from this model year
By Mark on 08/14/09 23:57 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

First, I will say that this car is one that is fun to drive. And I have not driven a car that performs better (steering, engine performance). People have written about the high cost of fixing all of the little things that DO go wrong with this car. However, once the car has been returned to me I fall in love with the car again and again. My major problem with the car is that this car has serious reliability problems. I have experienced two problems that show up many times with other drivers of same vehicle. One problem is that this car has a weak subframe that has a tendency to CRACK (BMW fixed for free - see class action lawsuit). Also, see issues with transmission.

Good Looking Lemon
By Kim on 07/16/09 15:15 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

Had owned 2 previous BMWs. After the warranty expired, within a couple of years it cost me $12,000 in repairs. Had to replace transmission, control arm, and power steering. This all from someone who drives once a week with a max. of 5000 kms a year. Wished I would have read all the driver reviews before buying it almost brand new from a distant cousin. Low mileage, looks brand new inside and out but do not trust driving it on the highway. Give your money to a panhandler instead. Sits handsomely in the garage. Looking for a new car.

Excellent Car
By AKP on 06/17/09 20:29 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

Over 140,000 and still drives great! I have been diligent about maintenance and have spent around 1000/yr after warranty expired. Biggest disappointment: Replaced transmission at 120,000 miles.($4500). The handling is excellent. A car wash makes it look new. Purchased a 2006 convertible and I prefer to drive the 2000 Beemer. The car has not left me stranded. It has had minor repairs every year. I expect to drive it another 100,000.

Into my 9th year now
By Jack on 05/11/09 01:39 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series 328Ci 2dr Coupe

I originally owned this car. With Sport Package. I gave it Michelin Pilot sport tires. Do oil change every 7k miles and had the engine opened up to seal a leak, the repair man said it is darn clean engine at 130k miles now. Learn to fix and replace some parts yourself and the car is reliably solid.

I love my 328ci
By Tony Lau on 12/31/08 14:11 PM (PST)

2000 BMW 3 Series 328Ci 2dr Coupe

We all have our priorities and I like to spend my money on cars. You won't find another car which has this level of luxury & handling combined. The resale value is low which is why people like me can afford it. M52 engines have one big problem, around 100k kms you will need to replace all the parts used by the cooling system. Otherwise you'll be making lots of trips over the next year or 10k kms. If you love BMWs' combination of luxury & handling then you wouldn't mind spending money on cars.

great car
By Mike on 12/02/08 15:26 PM (PST)

2000 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

When you look at all around build quality, style, and joy in driving the 3 series is king. 15 gallons of gas got me 400 miles, not bad for a quick car!

Wow!!!
By jelani on 11/06/08 15:21 PM (PST)

2000 BMW 3 Series 328Ci 2dr Coupe

I have owned a 2000 328ci for about a year & have put about 12,000 miles on it (120k on vehicle total). This car is a dream. Have not had any problems & get people inquiring about it almost daily. The styling is so wonderful that people always ask if it's new and it's 8 years old! I think I'm hooked. BMW all the way from here on out. Also found that parts on the vehicle are no more expensive than your average Chevy or Ford. NOW THE LABOR AT A BMW DEALER, that's a different story but there are several repair shops in my area that specialize in foreign repairs. Only thing I had replaced is the cam positioning sensor which was 75 bucks & 1 hr labor ($65) to install at a local service shop.