Used 2000 BMW 3 Series 323Ci Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR
By broken hearted

2000 BMW 3 Series Coupe 323Ci 2dr Coupe

Love the car. This car has way too many repairs. Transmission problems 5000, windows 350 cooling system 1600 sensors 300+ cracked head 4000 and on and on. This car is so unreliable? The reviews are either great car or terrible car. What is their problem? They just can't make the car 100% ??

Expensive to Own
By Ron

2000 BMW 3 Series Coupe 323Ci 2dr Coupe

I bought my 2000 coupe with very low mileage (33k) from the dealer. It previously had one owner. I love the drive, the comfort, and the feel of a BMW. But, beware! In one year I've been back to the dealer for a failed alternator, rotors, brakes, tires, a/c failure, moldings are loose etc. I've spent close to 3k in one year just on upkeep and I've heard it only gets worse. If you really want a BMW, just lease it so everything is covered, otherwise, you will be incurring lots of debt. If you doubt, ask mechanics at different body shops and they will share their experiences.

Favorite Features

The drive and feeling of safety and control

Fun but flawed
By parmijo

2000 BMW 3 Series Coupe 323Ci 2dr Coupe

I bought this new and I only have 31K on the car now. I have the 5 speed and it is fun to drive, brakes well, handles excellent with the sport package. Gas Mileage is quite good at 25 city/hwy mix and 31 hwy. It still looks nice too. The problem is reliability. Some problems fixed under warranty but others I had to pay out of pocket. Also strange failure of the intake cam sensor which causes the car to stall at a stop. That was $300. Now the interior trim around the passenger door is falling downward. I guess I have to glue it back or something. None of the problems I had were atypical or surprising to the mechanics. If you buy one, expect extra maintenance cost as part of the deal

Favorite Features

Good power, acceleration, braking, handling, solid feeling.

Suggested Improvements

Needs better electrical system and engineering of the accessories. I'm switching to an infiniti or lexus. I've had japanese cars before and only standard routine maintenance was needed. The german engineering is more myth than reality.

Fun sporty car
By Elizabeth Morrow

2000 BMW 3 Series Coupe 323Ci 2dr Coupe

This car is a lot of fun to drive. It has great power and control, nice features as well. It is somewhat expensive to maintain, but that's true for most European cars.

Favorite Features

Leather seats, power moonroof

My Take on early E46 productions
By sheggaw

2000 BMW 3 Series Coupe 323Ci 2dr Coupe

We bought this car used at 30K on it. Very good condition at the time. Several warranty works were done to it even before we had got it. Did not get that info until I took it for another warranty work. Now, transmission is out at only 64.5K on it, 2 Years after we had it. We are BMW devotees and do own other BMWs classic to modern. But this one has pushed us to the limit. To boot to that, BMW N.A is not a help at all. That 800 number is a joke, the staff is untrained & unqualified. Bottom lin is that BMW is not what it was used ot be. A car company with great reputation and great cars is in demise. No customer support, no reliable production. I will probably end up not buying another one.

Favorite Features

Comfort features (seats), leg space, cargo space, performance (steering response, braking, stock suspension system).

Suggested Improvements

RELIABILITY! Make them like they used to be in the 90's. Electrical system (very erratic) unnecessary complication of remote control and other aux equipments. Climate Control should be able to be turned off permanently and turned on only when needed