2000 BMW 3 Series Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
Expensive to Own
By Ron on 09/12/08 12:22 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series Coupe 323Ci 2dr Coupe

I bought my 2000 coupe with very low mileage (33k) from the dealer. It previously had one owner. I love the drive, the comfort, and the feel of a BMW. But, beware! In one year I've been back to the dealer for a failed alternator, rotors, brakes, tires, a/c failure, moldings are loose etc. I've spent close to 3k in one year just on upkeep and I've heard it only gets worse. If you really want a BMW, just lease it so everything is covered, otherwise, you will be incurring lots of debt. If you doubt, ask mechanics at different body shops and they will share their experiences.

Loving my 328Ci
By adrian on 02/14/07 00:30 AM (PST)

2000 BMW 3 Series Coupe 328Ci 2dr Coupe

After owning a 95 318ti that had 220k miles on it and ran flawlessly, I knew i had to buy another BMW. I got a helrot red one with black leather interior and a 5 speed manual trans. I absolutely love this car. It's got good power for daily driving and sports driving too.

Buyer beware
By john samson on 11/03/06 06:38 AM (PST)

2000 BMW 3 Series Coupe 328Ci 2dr Coupe

I would recommend this car to no one, I bought mine last year with 40,000 miles. It was like it was brand new, then I heard a banging noise under the car. The frame of the car had come apart itÂ’s a little known design flaw. I ended up paying $4700 to get it fixed. The car has always run great, handles great, but you would expect more from BMW then for it to fall a apart at 50000 miles. So buyer beware.

Fun but flawed
By parmijo on 11/23/05 16:48 PM (PST)

2000 BMW 3 Series Coupe 323Ci 2dr Coupe

I bought this new and I only have 31K on the car now. I have the 5 speed and it is fun to drive, brakes well, handles excellent with the sport package. Gas Mileage is quite good at 25 city/hwy mix and 31 hwy. It still looks nice too. The problem is reliability. Some problems fixed under warranty but others I had to pay out of pocket. Also strange failure of the intake cam sensor which causes the car to stall at a stop. That was $300. Now the interior trim around the passenger door is falling downward. I guess I have to glue it back or something. None of the problems I had were atypical or surprising to the mechanics. If you buy one, expect extra maintenance cost as part of the deal

Back in a 3 series coupe
By Marc on 10/27/05 16:58 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series Coupe 328Ci 2dr Coupe

My first BMW was a 325is. Now I am back in a 328ci and I love this car. I have all the bells and whistles except Nav. Bought it with 80k miles on it and it now has 98k. No problems as I am meticulous with maintaining the car. Great to drive hwy or in the twistys. Engine could use some more juice but the new cars have addressed this. BMW should drop HK as a vendor and call Bose. Love the car plan on keeping it another 100k miles. No problems and I do much of the work myself so I know when things are going wrong. Dealer is great while under warranty but find a quality local shop that you can depend on to keep cost down on maintenance.

Fun sporty car
By Elizabeth Morrow on 09/07/05 11:32 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series Coupe 323Ci 2dr Coupe

This car is a lot of fun to drive. It has great power and control, nice features as well. It is somewhat expensive to maintain, but that's true for most European cars.

My Take on early E46 productions
By sheggaw on 07/08/05 11:52 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series Coupe 323Ci 2dr Coupe

We bought this car used at 30K on it. Very good condition at the time. Several warranty works were done to it even before we had got it. Did not get that info until I took it for another warranty work. Now, transmission is out at only 64.5K on it, 2 Years after we had it. We are BMW devotees and do own other BMWs classic to modern. But this one has pushed us to the limit. To boot to that, BMW N.A is not a help at all. That 800 number is a joke, the staff is untrained & unqualified. Bottom lin is that BMW is not what it was used ot be. A car company with great reputation and great cars is in demise. No customer support, no reliable production. I will probably end up not buying another one.

Pay the Piper
By cookieman on 01/25/05 08:26 AM (PST)

2000 BMW 3 Series Coupe 328Ci 2dr Coupe

BMW sure has their act together in terms of building a car that performs flawlessly, is a gas to drive and is comfortable on any length trip. I've driven up to 12 hours at a pop in my 328 and get out feeling great. The engine is increadbly responsive and the handling is impeccable. I've driven it for nearly 37,000 miles and the driving experience has been excellent.Unfortunately, BMW doens't seem to know how to build a reliable car. I've had problems with door lock mechanisms (couldn't get in the car), the throttle body (car quit on the interstate at 80 mph), the door trim and now it needs $1000 worth of front end work (control arms, control arm bushings and front stabilizer link).

Love My 3-series Coupe..Glitches and All
By ghillier on 11/24/04 15:30 PM (PST)

2000 BMW 3 Series Coupe 323Ci 2dr Coupe

I bought my 2000 # series coupe in Feb 2003 with 28,000 miles on it. In general, I love the car. It looks great, has comfy front seats, handles well on dry pavement, and gets awesome gas mileage. My complaints include lousy brakes - I've had them replaced once and they still pull the car to right and severe hydroplaning in rainy conditions.

Wow, the whole package!
By bmwlover21 on 11/15/04 22:36 PM (PST)

2000 BMW 3 Series Coupe 328Ci 2dr Coupe

This car is, in a nutshell, the best all around package you can get for the money. It has great handling, steering, acceleration, and surprisingly good gas mileage. The coupe is especially fun considering it's standard sport suspension and lower vehicle height.