2000 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
Long term keepsake.
By Julio M. on 06/18/07 21:47 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

It is expensive to maintain after the honeymoon (warranty), i.e. inspection #1, #2 and #3 and tires, oil change. Some dealers use the "access by dealer only" to sell unneeded part, plus outrageous hourly fees. I bought mine new but I would recommend to someone with a good income after 100,000 miles. Very reliable, powerful and fast on the Autobahn. Stateside a Mustang in a barn.

Can't go wrong with a BMW
By lovemybmw on 07/09/06 18:26 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

This is my third BMW and my favorite yet, before this car I had a 1999 M3 coupe. I was a little worried about losing power but the 2.8 makes plenty of power and really gets up and scoots. The handling of this car feels just as good as my M3, the ride is firm but comfortable, and the manual trans shifts smooth and precise.

BMW Does Not Equal Quality
By BMW = Quality??? on 01/13/06 16:35 PM (PST)

2000 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

I'm a 32 year old financial planner. Owned a Honda and two Toyota's before deciding to buy THE car. I bought a used 2000 328i with 45k miles on it two years ago. It now has a little over 100k on it. It still runs great, feels great, looks great, it's a real joy to drive. BUT the maintenance costs on this car are crazy. Sensors, computers, brakes, thermostat. I've probably spent an additional $3,000 in the last 12 months on maintenance issues. I finally found a local shop that works on them rather than getting robbed at the dealership for every little thing. Fun car to drive, expensive to own.

Unreliable
By UnhappyBMWowner on 10/14/05 14:41 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

Purchased used with 33,000 miles. This is my second, and how disappointed I am. Way too many problems, with everything from the windows to the braking system, to the engine and etc. 14 trips to the dealer for repairs since 10/2003. I would never buy another, and am looking into an Audi or Mercedes. I do have to admit the the MPG is awesome, at times I have clocked 40+. BMW is not what it used to be!! BMW really needs to work on the reliability. This car is way too expensive to maintain!

Great car but high maintenance
By Kman on 08/18/05 08:14 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

I do like my BMW but after 5.5 years and 70K miles the car is not what it was 3 years ago. Everything is breaking down and am having the worse time with the car. After the first 3 years it’s been in the shop many times to fix all kinds of stuff. I agree that its fun to drive but with all the troubles I have been having it’s not worth buying the car. If you have lots of money to waist then go ahead and buy the car else do not purchase this car.

5 month review
By Hootie361 on 02/17/05 13:02 PM (PST)

2000 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

Time for the 5 month review. Highly recommend buying the service manual and an error-code reader ($250 total for both). My car had little things, such as bulbs, sensors, filters degrade and required replacing. These cars are CAKE to work on so long as you have the service manual. Most repairs require very basic tools and a couple hours of patience. My first winter encountered no driving problems, even on snow-covered roads. The DSC kicks in as needed to keep the vehicle from slipping, even with all- season tires. I still can't get enough of this auto...

Slack-jawed
By Hootie361 on 09/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

I finally understand why people take "joy rides" in their cars. The performance of this sedan is superb on the twisting, dipping, back-country roads near my residence. The engine power is impressive, the transmission shifts are smooth, the tires hug the road, the breaks stop on a dime...the car lives up to the title of "ultimate driving machine". For high speed driving, I recommend a high-end set of tires...my all season's transmit vibrations starting at 85mph (but disappear around 100mph). The car is absolutely convenient, only had 2 minor (<$20 fix) problems so far.

expensive to maintain
By bagua on 09/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

Overall a decent car but once it's over warranty it's not worth having due to extremely high repair costs. Could use more power at times. One major complaint is the driver's seat has no support, become's very uncomfortable quickly and I only have 50000 miles on the car so the seats should have held out longer than that I would have thought. The brakes are very high maitenance and don't have a very long life. If I ever buy another BMW I would only buy or lease new.

One great Three!
By ctyson on 08/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

This car is a blast to drive! Do youself a favor a put on a set of Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's. Premium rubber will take your 3 to the next level - it's well worth the cost. I recently took a trip up to CT where I blew the doors off my brother-in-law's new S-Type Jaguar with a 4.2 V8! When I hit 140mph my 328i still felt rock solid going around highway bends as he disappeared in my rear-view mirror.

Buy the warranty
By All Jazz on 07/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

I purchased my BMW 328 with 44,000 miles on it. It is beautiful and drives like a dream. The problem is that many little things keep breaking. I don't even drive it everyday. I have only put 5,000 miles on it in one year. It has been in the shop 3 X. Currently, the emergency light is not working. That's bad. Great cars but make sure that you buy the warranty.Also, when you call to get it fixed the wait is 2 weeks. Good thing I have a backup car. My dependable Jeep Grand Cherokee! (for real) Husband drives a 1991 BMW and has had no trouble with it. Purchased it with 65,000 miles on it. Again, make sure you get the warranty!