Used 2000 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

My first lemon
By riverwork

2000 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

This is my second BMW. I have also owned several new Japanese cars. This has been in the shop about eight times for major repairs. The brakes, suspension and several electrical components have been replaced numerous times. The dealer has been terrific about fixing the car - even when it went past warranty. Apparently, the problems are typical of this series. However, the time and general hassle really diminished the BMW "driving experience"and I will never buy one again (hate the new styling, anyway).

Favorite Features

Styling, handling, great breaking,smooth acceleration. The controls are well laid out, the climate controls are excellent. Too bad all this is marred by general reliability, brake and suspension problems.

Suggested Improvements

fix all the ills once and for all and have the dealers do the fixes in one recall - not half a dozen over a period of three years.

Love My 3-series Coupe..Glitches and All
By ghillier

2000 BMW 3 Series 323Ci 2dr Coupe

I bought my 2000 # series coupe in Feb 2003 with 28,000 miles on it. In general, I love the car. It looks great, has comfy front seats, handles well on dry pavement, and gets awesome gas mileage. My complaints include lousy brakes - I've had them replaced once and they still pull the car to right and severe hydroplaning in rainy conditions.

Favorite Features

Smooth engine, comfortable front seats, great gas mileage, killer styling.

Suggested Improvements

Braking performace, brake dust, hydroplaning, mediocre climate control.

Wow, the whole package!
By bmwlover21

2000 BMW 3 Series 328Ci 2dr Coupe

This car is, in a nutshell, the best all around package you can get for the money. It has great handling, steering, acceleration, and surprisingly good gas mileage. The coupe is especially fun considering it's standard sport suspension and lower vehicle height.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, handling around twists and turns is phenomenal, ultra quiet and refined engine, the only way to know when to shift is by looking at the tach the engine is so quiet!

Suggested Improvements

This is a great car. If I had to recommend one improvement, it would be the automatic climate control; it is not very reliable; it seems to do whatever it wants sometimes

Solid Ride
By Noreaster

2000 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

Second owner, first BMW and like it very much thus far. 67K Mi. Sharp looking, nicely appointed interior, smooth ride and adequate power. One unexpected repair was cracking of rear coil spring, ended up having to replace both costing about $500. Also, the small radio antenna off the back antenna base broke off probably in car wash, resulting in poorer radio reception. Other than those, usual maitenance. Love it and hope that it continues to serve me well.

Favorite Features

Steptronic for downshifting off hwy exits/approaching stop lghts/traffic - smooth transition, saves on brakes. Drvr's seat helps posture and gives exclnt support for long rides/sitting in traffic. Psngr side rear vw mirror tilt when in reverse is great for paralell parking.

Suggested Improvements

More hidden storage space. Brakes produce lots of dust and have to clean wheels a lot. Bigger entry into trunk. Rear vw mirror has common problem from glass manufacuter, brown tinge that starts at bottom. Rear whl drive sucks in snow, but knew that going in.

One of the best cars ever!!
By Fender58

2000 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for about four weeks; I bought used 2000 model with 57,700 mls. on it. I wanted a 540i, but, couldn't really afford one (without robbing Peter to pay Paul). Car is extremely responsive, smooth, handles superb; basically, everything I expected it to be and more. There is something to all the hype about BMWs. It has been a dream of mine since I was a teenager to own a BMW. I will definately get another one when the time comes.

Favorite Features

Handling, step-tronic shifting, quality of interior, acceleration (I drove the 328; not sure it justifies the price), the fact I can throw it into a turn without second guessing myself.

Suggested Improvements

Since it's an entry level model, the only option I would have made standard is heated seats. We don't buy these cars for the cup-holders, people!! If you want cup-holders, buy an SUV.