2000 BMW 3 Series 323iT Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Bmw 3-series - Consumer Reviews

2000 3 Series Consumer Reviews

323iT 2.5L 6-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (18 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

Fantastic Car
By tom mcguire

2000 BMW 3 Series Wagon 323iT 4dr Wagon

I have put all 160,000 miles on this car and except for items that go on any car, like brakes, belts, etc it has not had any serious problem except that the sports shift mode hasn't worked in 2 years. Never uses a drop of oil, gets 31 mpg at a steady 75 and I always feel rested after driving it. While it has not been garaged it still looks brand new as I wax and seal each year. Great car and in 40+ years of driving I have driven the best cars available and some dogs along the way. BMW's have become too complex, but I am buying a new 3 series soon and giving this car to my daughter. Buy one and you'll see.

Favorite Features

Handling, fuel mileage and snarl when I put my foot into it.

Suggested Improvements

More carrying room in back of station wagon - pretty puny with seats up.

I got the lemon
By Rich

2000 BMW 3 Series Wagon 323iT 4dr Wagon

I initially bought the 2000 BMW Sport Wagon used with just 20,000 miles. It ran great with no problems until it went past 60,000 miles. After 60,000 miles I've had frequent phantom problems with the check engine light (and yes, I've checked the fuel cap every time...it was fine). I've had plastic bits breaking in all 4 windows regulators (one of them twice) and the sunroof clips (I hardly use the sunroof too). I've had electrical problems with the air conditioner, anti-lock brakes/traction/stability control, rear view mirrors and door locks. But, that's not all. I've always taken it to the BMW Dealer for repairs and maintenance to make sure it was done right. I think I got the lemon!

Favorite Features

Drives great when there are no problems. Love the driving dynamics and solid feel of the wagon.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability. I may have gotten the lemon though.

Beware of Early Transmission Failure!!
By Dissapointed in CA

2000 BMW 3 Series Wagon 323iT 4dr Wagon

I was in love with this car. It corners like a dream and you can park it anywhere. Unfortunately, the steptronic transmission has a MAJOR design flaw (some say it was an engineering compromise made to meet EPA mileage requirements, but I don't know this to be fact). The reverse clutch drum has a C clip that holds the gears down under pressure. After 50-75k miles the clip breaks off and you suddenly lose reverse. It can't be repaired - you have to completely rebuild the transmission. It cost us $4700. So, if you MUST buy, I would either get one w/ an already rebuilt transmission or invest in an extended warranty.

Time to trade
By Jill

2000 BMW 3 Series Wagon 323iT 4dr Wagon

While my 3-series wagon was under warranty, all was well. I didn't mind the repeated trips to the dealership to replace every motor in each of my power windows, or my power steering leak, or a regulator in my AC. However, once the warranty expires the out of pocket cost to replace a transmission, along with lengthy list of repairs that accompanies each regular check up becomes quite irritating. The door panel inserts became dislodged and even the BMW logo on the hood came off. . . TWICE. Too headache and expense for "the ultimate driving machine."

Favorite Features

Sporty look, performance, luxury, ability to stay in style

Suggested Improvements

More reliable parts, less expensive labor, fewer trips to the shop

00 BMW 323 Wagon
By R. Kataoka

2000 BMW 3 Series Wagon 323iT 4dr Wagon

Pretty steady car, Great for small families, good performance, interior engineered well and is holding up fine. Real good on tires. First set went about 55K. The cons are not real bad but gas mileage - the auto transmission tank vents and dirt accumulated in the engine compartment. Lots of brake dust and get used to cleaning it - all the time. I would buy another. Repairs are a bit pricey.

Favorite Features

Comfortable on long drives and roomy for a mini-wagon. Interior layout is effective and good turning radius

Suggested Improvements

ATF filler cap.

Good-looking & fun, breaks a lot
By averykc

2000 BMW 3 Series Wagon 323iT 4dr Wagon

Overall, I enjoy this car. I like the wagon's look, that it feels solid, & that it isn't too common. My complaints are that it doesn't have much power for accelerating, I'm replacing brakes every 20k miles, all 4 windows have broken, and the lower control arms have been replaced twice (in 57k miles). Oh yeah, the sunroof is toast, too. It makes me miss my Honda, but I like the feel of the BMW so much that I'm not sure I can go back. I've spent $.04-.08/mile maintaining Hondas & Nissans; this BMW is costing me $.16/mile.

Favorite Features

Looks, interior wears well, not a common car to see, key-controlled memory seats, fun to drive, good handling, quiet

Suggested Improvements

More horsepower! Longer-lasting brakes, windows, control arms & overall better reliability.

323iT Sports Wagon
By TalkingBodies

2000 BMW 3 Series Wagon 323iT 4dr Wagon

This is a great car. It drives, handles, and feels like a unique, solid performance sedan should, yet it is smooth and quiet and gets respectable gas mileage. When considering a BMW, please remember that it is not a Japanese car; it won't be as reliable and as simple to drive, nor as cheap. Conversely, you'll be reminded it isn't Japanese every time you drive it -- it's that enjoyable. Maintenance is also more costly: air filters cost $20, it takes synthetic oil, and even special windshield wipers. You should be aware of this before you test drive. My wagon has had only minor problems: door latches and a sunroof drain issue. I love this car -- I won’t buy another brand.

Favorite Features

The overall atmosphere of the interior; the cornering; the smile-producing acceleration; the heated seats; the BMW rechargeable flashlight; the Central Locking System; the Freeze Warning; the airplane-like panoramic view of the road; the steering feel; the solid "thump" when a door is closed.

Suggested Improvements

More horsepower would be nice. Also, some more storage up front.

One year later
By luvmysunz

2000 BMW 3 Series Wagon 323iT 4dr Wagon

Bought my 323it a year ago and I love it more than the day I drove it off the lot! Best car I have ever owned..hands down. The handling in city driving can't be beat - smooth acceleration, precision steering. The ride is still quiet and in no way feels like there are 52,000 miles under its wheels. Weekend getaways are a joy. With the roof rack system we purchased for luggage carrying, it is actually more roomy inside on these trips than my 4Runner was. And the drop down separator in the back seat has been a lifesaver with two boys under 13! Love it, love it, love it.

Favorite Features

Handling, back seat separator, cargo net, just a blast to drive.

Suggested Improvements

more storage in front seat for CDs, etc., otherwise, it's perfect

Stylish but over-rated
By surfman

2000 BMW 3 Series Wagon 323iT 4dr Wagon

Purchased used with 32,000 miles for less than half the MSRP. Even with the sport suspension this is not the ultimate driving machine. The 2.5 six is underpowered and the ride can be harsh. I like the look of the wagon body, but the styling is a bit fussy. The interior is comfortable but uninspired. Would never buy an overpriced new one. I still have my 94 Honda Accord wagon which continues to impress me.

Favorite Features

Heated sport seats, nice hunkered down look, smooth braking power.

Suggested Improvements

Better interior styling and packaging, More powerful engine, longer lasting brakes, power windows that don't break, less plastic trim at door sills and hatch, more back seat leg room.

What a Car!
By Gilesjewels

2000 BMW 3 Series Wagon 323iT 4dr Wagon

Always loved Saabs for the way they handled curves and cornering but this first time Bmw owner is convinced that this is the best car I have ever driven.It is powerful,luxurious, and drives smooth.

Favorite Features

Leather seats, cd player, wood trim, dimming rear-view mirror, and great road handling.

Suggested Improvements

More storage for cd's ,better side view mirrors perhaps add small convex mirrors for better view of the road