2000 BMW 3 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
Nice car but too many minor problems
By meodabeo on 09/03/14 01:21 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

Nice car to drive and have fun with but it has had too many minor problems with electrical system.

Not Cheap to Own, But a Ton of Fun
By tsb7 on 07/27/13 20:15 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series Sedan 323i 4dr Sedan

I have owned 5 BMW's and currently own 2 and a Porsche. Not one is cheap to own or drive, but boy do they drive! The comments and smiles you get are nice. How many people are excited about seeing another Honda? I have owned plenty of those too and the answer is none! My father passed down my love for cars and drove some of the coolest cars ever built! He told me owning an expensive car was like marrying a beautiful women, they are beautiful to look at, expensive to keep up and everyone will be jealous of you! He was right, my wife is as beautiful as my cars and not cheap to keep! But man, do I love all four, and HOW!

Why are there so many bad reviews?
By oscarn on 01/17/13 14:09 PM (PST)

2000 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used for $5,700. When I bought the car it had 165 thousand miles and I take care of it very well. Most people complain about the car and that it keeps breaking down constantly. I only had two problems with my car. 1. The front light bulbs died out... Yeup. 2. I need a new head gasket. It's a great car if you can't take care of it. If you can't, well buy a Honda.

Fun, until 100k
By subarudavis on 07/25/12 00:45 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from my mom when it had 98,000 or so miles on it, I just drove to school and around with it. I will miss its power and handling. I will not miss bringing it to my mechanic every two weeks for a major problem. I rolled my window down in the summer and it would not go back up while I was far from a BMW dealer. The car stalled a few times on the freeway and I needed help from truckers to push it off to the side. Its reliability is horrid, I put more money into the car than I made at work. I liked the heated seats and comfort of the seats. I got about 20.5 MPG which is okay for a straight six but not great. Sunroof got stuck twice, rear window leaked water until duct taped.

Windows and everything else
By jcutie323i on 07/23/12 19:54 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series Sedan 323i 4dr Sedan

I bought my 323i about 4 months ago. It's an automatic with the option to drive manually. I love driving it, but I have had to replace two window regulators and the battery so far. The sunroof cover has come all to pieces and I need to replace my windshield fluid container. I have taken it to a couple of different people to figure out why my abs, brake, and traction control lights stay on and they can't figure it out. Other than that I really do like my car.

Fun with Opportunities to Repair
By briodo on 11/02/11 20:40 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

This is my first BMW, bought used at 80k miles, now has 134K miles and it's falling apart. While the car is a blast to drive, it has cost me more over the last 2 years than the car is worth. And it now needs the CVC valve replaced, quoted at $900, far from the amount in the reliability section. If the car starts honking, you know this valve is gone. C'est la vie; fast cars, pretty women, and good wine. It somehow will not be as much fun in a Toyota. Just cheaper.

Once you own one, you'll be hooked
By followasign on 06/30/11 08:21 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series Sedan 323i 4dr Sedan

This is hands down one of the best driving experiences you'll ever have. Words really can not describe the "emotions" you feel when driving a BMW, you really should just drive one. I own 3 BMWs (one 5 Series and two 3 Series) and have had no major problems with them. My 323i is my project car and has been nothing but a pleasure to work on. Actually BMW's are the easiest car I have ever worked on. I completely rebuilt the front end, including struts, on my 323i for less than $400 and about 4 hrs. I replaced all 4 brake rotors, pads and sensors for less than $200 and a COMPLETE brake job took less than an hour!!! NEVER take the car to the Stealership, you will [violative content deleted] in parts & labor cost.

Broke My Wallet
By Broke My Wallet on 09/10/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

A maintenance nightmare. I have spent thousands fixing this car, one thing after another. I now have it working great and intend to sell it before something else goes wrong. However, it handles great on the road and is a very cool car. The looks sold me, but I should have looked beyond the outside appearance. Now I am paying for it. I should have known that BMW stands for Broke My Wallet

Not as bad as everyone says it is!
By Ken B. on 08/21/10 21:42 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series Sedan 323i 4dr Sedan

Most everyone here complaints about the car being unreliable. Most of them also claims that they have replaced major things on their 10 yr old cars. I have been a BMW owner since 1994 and have driven nothing but BMW's ever since. Here's the real deal: Yes they have their quirks (window regulators, etc.) but most of the complaints I've read here involves just basic maintenance. Yes the cooling system are not 100% but with a little TLC one can update all the issues and drive a Bimmer for 600,000+km for a lot less than a Civic! Don't be taken in by the hype, these cars are great and don't cost a lot to maintain! Stick with a manual transmission, the autos WILL fail if not maintained properly!

Performance, Luxury, Well thought out
By George on 06/19/10 09:49 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series Sedan 323i 4dr Sedan

Picked up with European Delivery Program (still frustrates me everyday that American drivers do not have the competence and courtesy of the Germans on the road). As with any car, maintenance will be required. Due to volume production of the e46, parts are very reasonable and you can save $$ if you have some mechanical inclination. Everything on the car is easy to work with and finely engineered. Now with 150k miles since new, the car still feels tight and solid, even after front end collision caused by erroneous driver. Airbag deployed, very little damage. The larger Ford excursion SUV didn't fare as well. I still trust the car to protect my family--no other make will suffice for me.