2000 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
Not Cheap to Own, But a Ton of Fun
By tsb7 on 07/27/13 20:15 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

I have owned 5 BMW's and currently own 2 and a Porsche. Not one is cheap to own or drive, but boy do they drive! The comments and smiles you get are nice. How many people are excited about seeing another Honda? I have owned plenty of those too and the answer is none! My father passed down my love for cars and drove some of the coolest cars ever built! He told me owning an expensive car was like marrying a beautiful women, they are beautiful to look at, expensive to keep up and everyone will be jealous of you! He was right, my wife is as beautiful as my cars and not cheap to keep! But man, do I love all four, and HOW!

Windows and everything else
By jcutie323i on 07/23/12 19:54 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

I bought my 323i about 4 months ago. It's an automatic with the option to drive manually. I love driving it, but I have had to replace two window regulators and the battery so far. The sunroof cover has come all to pieces and I need to replace my windshield fluid container. I have taken it to a couple of different people to figure out why my abs, brake, and traction control lights stay on and they can't figure it out. Other than that I really do like my car.

Once you own one, you'll be hooked
By followasign on 06/30/11 08:21 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

This is hands down one of the best driving experiences you'll ever have. Words really can not describe the "emotions" you feel when driving a BMW, you really should just drive one. I own 3 BMWs (one 5 Series and two 3 Series) and have had no major problems with them. My 323i is my project car and has been nothing but a pleasure to work on. Actually BMW's are the easiest car I have ever worked on. I completely rebuilt the front end, including struts, on my 323i for less than $400 and about 4 hrs. I replaced all 4 brake rotors, pads and sensors for less than $200 and a COMPLETE brake job took less than an hour!!! NEVER take the car to the Stealership, you will [violative content deleted] in parts & labor cost.

Not as bad as everyone says it is!
By Ken B. on 08/21/10 21:42 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

Most everyone here complaints about the car being unreliable. Most of them also claims that they have replaced major things on their 10 yr old cars. I have been a BMW owner since 1994 and have driven nothing but BMW's ever since. Here's the real deal: Yes they have their quirks (window regulators, etc.) but most of the complaints I've read here involves just basic maintenance. Yes the cooling system are not 100% but with a little TLC one can update all the issues and drive a Bimmer for 600,000+km for a lot less than a Civic! Don't be taken in by the hype, these cars are great and don't cost a lot to maintain! Stick with a manual transmission, the autos WILL fail if not maintained properly!

Performance, Luxury, Well thought out
By George on 06/19/10 09:49 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

Picked up with European Delivery Program (still frustrates me everyday that American drivers do not have the competence and courtesy of the Germans on the road). As with any car, maintenance will be required. Due to volume production of the e46, parts are very reasonable and you can save $$ if you have some mechanical inclination. Everything on the car is easy to work with and finely engineered. Now with 150k miles since new, the car still feels tight and solid, even after front end collision caused by erroneous driver. Airbag deployed, very little damage. The larger Ford excursion SUV didn't fare as well. I still trust the car to protect my family--no other make will suffice for me.

Great car until it needs maintenance
By LtBill on 06/18/10 12:01 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

I am the original owner. It is garage kept and only has 71,000 miles. I have really enjoyed it - it still looks almost new. However, like other reviewers, I have had maintenance issues - all 4 window regulators broke early on (was told they are made by a vendor of BMW), both headlights and three turn signal bulbs replaced, windshield wiper fluid reservoir leaked and was replaced. Also have creaking and thumping of frame which my mechanic could not diagnose. Now I may need the bushings replaced and the ABS may also need to be replaced - over $5,000 for both in addition to normal maintenance. If it comes to that I will be looking for another car. I do not trust it long term.

Impressed
By Lance on 04/29/10 11:45 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

This fun little gas sipper has changed my mind about BMW. I always thought of them as an overpriced equivalent to Volkswagen. First, The power to weight ratio is great. Secondly, the ride and handling is sporty enough to zip around country roads in but not so stiff you can't enjoy a long haul on the interstates. Lastly, the fuel economy is astounding. I get 33-35 MPG highway and an overall average of 25.7. I don't baby it or drive it like it's stolen, I just drive it the way one should. Maintenance has not been horrible. A new set of tires (touring 4 season) $600 with line up, window regulators $200 each installed, oil changes are $80 for BMW filter and full synthetic oil (15,000 mi).

Buy a ford Instead
By WEA in TEXAS on 02/19/10 14:13 PM (PST)

2000 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

This is my first BMW. It has been a reliability and maintenance nightmare I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. And it has been properly maintained. The car hasn't gone four weeks in a row without requiring major work. To date all four window regulator have had to be replaced, all six ignition coils, both cam sensors, the MAS, both front control arm assemblies, the transmission had to be replaced, the o2 sensors, and the list goes on and on and the damn engine light is still on. Average cost for repair and maintenance per year $3,000.00. My Ford F150 has 200K on it and it has only required one O2 sensor, tires, a battery, and oil changes.

Stay away from this model year
By Mark on 08/14/09 23:57 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

First, I will say that this car is one that is fun to drive. And I have not driven a car that performs better (steering, engine performance). People have written about the high cost of fixing all of the little things that DO go wrong with this car. However, once the car has been returned to me I fall in love with the car again and again. My major problem with the car is that this car has serious reliability problems. I have experienced two problems that show up many times with other drivers of same vehicle. One problem is that this car has a weak subframe that has a tendency to CRACK (BMW fixed for free - see class action lawsuit). Also, see issues with transmission.

Good Looking Lemon
By Kim on 07/16/09 15:15 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

Had owned 2 previous BMWs. After the warranty expired, within a couple of years it cost me $12,000 in repairs. Had to replace transmission, control arm, and power steering. This all from someone who drives once a week with a max. of 5000 kms a year. Wished I would have read all the driver reviews before buying it almost brand new from a distant cousin. Low mileage, looks brand new inside and out but do not trust driving it on the highway. Give your money to a panhandler instead. Sits handsomely in the garage. Looking for a new car.