2000 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
Nice car but too many minor problems
By meodabeo on 09/03/14 01:21 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

Nice car to drive and have fun with but it has had too many minor problems with electrical system.

Why are there so many bad reviews?
By oscarn on 01/17/13 14:09 PM (PST)

2000 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used for $5,700. When I bought the car it had 165 thousand miles and I take care of it very well. Most people complain about the car and that it keeps breaking down constantly. I only had two problems with my car. 1. The front light bulbs died out... Yeup. 2. I need a new head gasket. It's a great car if you can't take care of it. If you can't, well buy a Honda.

Fun, until 100k
By subarudavis on 07/25/12 00:45 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from my mom when it had 98,000 or so miles on it, I just drove to school and around with it. I will miss its power and handling. I will not miss bringing it to my mechanic every two weeks for a major problem. I rolled my window down in the summer and it would not go back up while I was far from a BMW dealer. The car stalled a few times on the freeway and I needed help from truckers to push it off to the side. Its reliability is horrid, I put more money into the car than I made at work. I liked the heated seats and comfort of the seats. I got about 20.5 MPG which is okay for a straight six but not great. Sunroof got stuck twice, rear window leaked water until duct taped.

Fun with Opportunities to Repair
By briodo on 11/02/11 20:40 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

This is my first BMW, bought used at 80k miles, now has 134K miles and it's falling apart. While the car is a blast to drive, it has cost me more over the last 2 years than the car is worth. And it now needs the CVC valve replaced, quoted at $900, far from the amount in the reliability section. If the car starts honking, you know this valve is gone. C'est la vie; fast cars, pretty women, and good wine. It somehow will not be as much fun in a Toyota. Just cheaper.

Broke My Wallet
By Broke My Wallet on 09/10/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

A maintenance nightmare. I have spent thousands fixing this car, one thing after another. I now have it working great and intend to sell it before something else goes wrong. However, it handles great on the road and is a very cool car. The looks sold me, but I should have looked beyond the outside appearance. Now I am paying for it. I should have known that BMW stands for Broke My Wallet

Respect your Bimmer
By marcopolio on 09/25/08 17:17 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2000 328i just over a year ago and it is my 3rd BMW. I am not a wealthy man, and I wouldn't spend over $13,000 on a used car that I didn't believe in. This sexy car demands love, respect and maintenance. Have it checked out before you buy it. Do regular oil changes and have it inspected on time and you will be fine. Do yourself a favor and learn to work on this car yourself.

HEADACHE!
By Frustrated Driver on 06/14/08 21:29 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for about 5 years now. It stinks! Since we bought it (used) we have had so many electrical problems and there is constantly something breaking or squeaking. It is a nice looking car, but I will never purchase another BMW. It empties your wallet to fix!

Problems Galore
By Buyer Beware on 05/19/08 13:59 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

I bought my 328i used and thought that I should be able to get 200k out of it. I have had more than $6000 in repairs in two years and I am finding out that there are several problems with a lot of these cars, power steering pump replaced at 90k with OEM and the new one broke at 125k, window regulators have been replaced at least one each, A/C modules replaced, cracked head at 119k due to overheating problem with these cars, no warnings at all, break pads every 20k, replaced water pump, etc etc etc. I would not recommend this year to anyone.

Be smart, avoid the dealer.
By NeverGoingAmerican on 03/20/08 10:51 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for 5 years and if I can have things my way, I'll never buy anything BUT a BMW. It's a joy to drive, styling is sporty without being gaudy, and after a car wash, I could swear I was looking at a brand new Beemer. Maintenance costs are high after the warranty has run out. Be smart, and DON'T go to the dealer to fix every little thing. I recently had my brakes repaired (new rotors, pads and sensors) for $700, the dealer wanted $1900. Do yourself a favor and hunt around your city to find a reliable BMW certified mechanic. If you do this, long maintenance will be much more managable.

Not a Long term Car
By S Alllen on 12/16/07 10:31 AM (PST)

2000 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

Bought this vehicle for travel. It looks great, but wow, for a high rated vehicle, i wouldn't buy another BMW. The windows fall into the doors (BMW dealer says thats normal) and cost to fix $$$$. Heater doesn't work well, air doesn't work well. The heated seats they work. Wouldn't recommend a used BMW or keep one past 3 years. Not worth the extra money!