1999 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
Best BMW for the buck
By nxtc on 06/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 BMW 3 Series 318ti 2dr Hatchback

Bought my 318ti used w/20k warranty remaining. Even with a/t, really a pleasure to drive. Wide stance offers great cornering with excellent brakes. A smooth but solid ride with the speedometer pointing straight up. A Its a shame that BMW doesn't offer this powerplant in the US market any more. Dealer warranty service has been exceptional.

Best for the money, most value
By Jamie Randazzo on 04/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

This car is a workhorse/tank. It offers the most performance, stability and safety unlike any other car. Acceleration is a dream while gas mileage is at 28mpg. And I shift at 5,000 rpm. I have only been serviced for oil changes.There is little back-end maintenance.

Perfect except for reliablity
By davidsmith on 04/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

Bit on the pricy side with only 170hp, since most japanese competition now offer 200 or more. But it doesn't feel slow by any means. Design and materials used in the cabin are top notch. Too bad they rattle like nissan sentra. Lots of minor problems, like airbag light being on constantly,(fixed 4 times already) but probably more fun to drive than lot of sport cars. Minor body roll without sport package.

1999 328iA
By benmchilds on 03/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1999 328ia, steel blue from Century BMW in Greenville, SC. I traded in my 97 318ia for a newer model. I drive approximately 40,000 miles a year and have put over 65,000 miles on this car since I got it. Even with close to 85,000 miles on it, it still out performs everything that I come across and have test drove. I looked at everything including Jags, Acura, Lexus, you name and I test drove it and nothing can close to BMW. Great gas mileage and extremely comfortable seats for those long trips. Only thing that could be improved is more trunk storage since I travel so much, I could use a little extra space. Looking at an X-5 4.4 next.

Best of the bunch
By pmichaelis on 02/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

This is the fourth BMW owned. One 6 series, remainder 3 series. All cars have met expectations, particularly the 1999 328ia. This car has all the attributes expected in a high priced small car. It handles well, is comfortable on a long trip..1400+ miles, and has been utterly reliable. The only negative has been the brake pads wearing out at 24,000 miles. Excellent mileage, 32+ mpg on a trip, nonexistent oil consumption during service interval. My basis of comparison is a 1997 Porsche 993 C2S.

This is a great sports car!
By hollybuttitta on 02/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 BMW 3 Series 323is 2dr Coupe

This car is incredibly reliable and a complete workhorse. It's hauls up hills, passes at the slightest touch of the gas, it wants to run! The engine purrs and it's ride is really smooth. I can't say anything bad about this car. BMW makes cars that are strong, reliable, and fun to drive. If you have to enjoy driving you need a car like this- it's worth the extra money.

Excellent car!!!!!
By sal sheik on 02/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

I got my 99 4 dr 323 from a dealership and have been nothing but pleased. I put some 17" m3 wheels on it! If the engine light comes on it is usually only a loose gas cap.

my 323i 4dr 5spd
By x13atma16x on 09/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

I just got this car last month with 42K miles. I got it for $21,000.00 at a Mercedes-benz dealer here in Los Angeles. Put in a 19" ACS wheel wraped in a Perelli tires, Starge III H&R Springs, Clear Corners and Red/Clear Taillamps. So far the car is running great, love that 5spd!! Only problem was the engine light went on one week after i bought the car. took it to a BMW Dealership and got it done free of charge..the problem has something to do with some sensor at the engine.

Good entry level BMW
By tkb on 08/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

Good overall car, look great, beautiful interior. Save money on the Harmom/Kardon Systems its not worth it. The hesitant while the car is hot almost got me hit couple time.

near perfect, but not quite
By 328 w/ SP, PP, Xe,CD on 07/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

Certified inspection must've been forgotten, is in dealership for the third time getting worked on. Nothing major - speaker, seatbelt noise, alignment, rain-sensor, two-freak- electrical-events, some suspension squeaks, missing rear-view mirror trim. Other than all than, it is truly an incredible car. 5-speed and Sports Package are a must! Have driven w/o and not worth the dough. But with them the car is simply an extension of you as you fly on down the road.