1999 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
The best, but not perfect
By Patrick Santana on 11/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

Near flawless execution of style, comfort, and performance... and it's just plain fun to drive. If you have never owned a BMW, it's better in just about every way. The imperfection came when my wife hit a curb with the left front wheel at a slow speed and 3 airbags went off and $3500.00 later I had my car back. It took the dealer several tries to get the airbag light to stay off

BMW the cost of Luxury and repairs
By Jimbo1999 on 11/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

The car now has 98K miles. I had a few problems with the car since I've owned it. My Air bag light came on around 80K miles. Diagnosis is a faulty Air bag computer, cost is $500. North American BMW will not assist in any way since warranty is not valid. Sunroof acts up by not closing as it should. I have found that this car needs alot of pampering to make it run problematic free. I have a toyota and no problems. Not sure if I would recommend one. I'll probably buy a Porsche or Mercedes next time.

Disappointed
By MikeD1 on 10/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

I'm disappointed with the number of problems that I have experienced since buying the BMW 323i. I was expecting more based upon the reputation. I like the car, it's fun to drive, but I'm in the dealership for repairs every few months....broken window glides, defective interior light, body molding coming off the exterior, battery failure. Beware.

This much fun should be illegal
By Ian Clark on 10/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

5 spd, sports pkg. Still as much fun to drive as when new. I am 6'4" and with the sports seats set low it was the only 5 speed I could actually fit in comfortably. (what a shame) It really feels like you're wearing it, a sublime extention of your body. Speed and handling continue to impress (even scare at times) and never get tired of looking at it. The extended warranty is a good idea, so far front shocks, brakes, a/c, speakers, fuel pump, etc. Some how it is all still worth it.

Pretty Sad!!!! Better off Buying a Ford!
By 2L8-IWON on 10/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

I have to say I am thourghly dissapointed!! I have had two BMs and will never get another BMW Canada and their Dealers are most unhelpfull and inconsiderate, I have had to replace so far over $3,000 and BMW says I do not care sir even if you are only 3,500 miles out of your warranty, and then they say sorry you are not even the original owner so we will do nothing for you!!

Not Happy!
By Tarek on 09/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

After my 3Yr warranty expired, the reliablity problems are gaining momentum. Got a $CDN 5000 repair bill to replace/fix belts, valves, shock mounts, brakes, trailing arm bushing and the list goes on. Aufwiedersehen BMW, I am buying the 04 Acura TL3.2

1999 323i with sports package
By mark flinn on 08/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car via the Euro Delivery program. I saved about 4k off the typical selling price, and had a wonderful time driving for a couple of weeks in Germany. It is the best car I have ever owned. It is still fun, 4 years after I bought it, to drive to the store to pick up milk or whatever. It gets excellent gas mileage, is rock solid at 50k miles, with no repairs, and my three sons fit in the back seat with no problem. It is extremely safe; I have avoided several accidents because of the combination of excellent visibility and manuverability. The sports package is excellent and a bargain. Great car!

BMW in Kauai
By kalapakipaul on 08/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

This is the everyday commuter/shopper/beach car on the North Shore. Very reliable with only small problems (seat belt retractor, windshield washer nozzle). Excellent mileage with only routine service.

Fun Car if you afford it!
By rickn on 08/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 BMW 3 Series 323is 2dr Coupe

After owning the 323 for three years, I can tell you it has been a joy to drive. The handling and overall feel of the vehicle is better than anything I’ve ever driven. The only reason I would caution potential buyers is the reliability has proven to be poor. I have had interior trim fall off, many sensors blown and strange electrical/ computer malfunctions. Fortunately, the very expensive repairs were covered under an excellent warranty program. But, with the warranty ending, the annual repair costs will be high. Check with many on line forums discussing the BMW H46 and Consumer Reports, which recently removed the 3 series from their recommended list.

Less is Better
By haj on 07/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

One great vehicle. Handling is awesome, with plenty of pick up and performance in this little package of a 323i. Were a family of two and this car is perfect for a smaller family. The engineering is well defined and noted in this one.