1999 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
Ultimate Commuting Machine
By Thomas+ on 05/30/05 19:43 PM (PDT)

1999 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

One fun car! Brake dust keeps you busy cleaning every weekend. Covered maintenance was awesome. Uncovered maintenance a bit expensive. Brake job quoted as $1200 by dealer, did it myself for $220 worth of rotors. Main mechanical problem was the typical control arm bushings @$600. In dash CD has problems ejecting. Adding CD changer in trunk solved that. Stereo is weak on Bass end. Haven't had window regulator problems others describe. Maintenance still a lot cheaper than my wife's Taurus. Overall, very happy.

Wow
By Greg on 05/27/05 20:26 PM (PDT)

1999 BMW 3 Series 323is 2dr Coupe

This is my first BMW and I love this car. Handling is 2nd to none. I tend to tire of vehicles very easily and this one is a joy to drive. This one has the DINAN upgrades which make it even more fun.

I pay with a smile
By N LeBert on 03/25/05 15:43 PM (PST)

1999 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

I enjoy this car so much. I actually enjoy sending in my loan payment. It has the best of so many things that make it luxurious and fun to drive. After all these years, it drives like new and there is not any squeaks to let you know it's tired. The service at the dealer is unbelievably fantastic. I can't imagine driving any make other than BMW.

There's only one...
By Matt on 02/21/05 18:38 PM (PST)

1999 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car used a little over 2 years ago. I've had the "usual" repairs reported by most drivers - window motors, control arms and bushings - but this seems to be a standard problem that all owners have to deal with. If you're willing to put up with a high(er) maintenance car you won't ever want to drive anything else. It handles like a dream and holds the road like no other car I've driven.

Fun car but has durability issues
By Vroom2 on 02/03/05 16:55 PM (PST)

1999 BMW 3 Series 323is 2dr Coupe

This is a fun car to drive just about anywhere. Great on-road grip, handling, breaking and steering. Could use a few more horses but around town it's plenty fast enough. The main drawbacks are durability of the trim and reliability. When mine was 5 years old it started becoming expensive with radiator, gearbox and other issues. The rubber seals around the windows also started to wear at which point I sold it. Great car but needs some $$$ and TLC to maintain.

The thrill of the corners
By Lindsay on 01/17/05 21:07 PM (PST)

1999 BMW 3 Series 323is 2dr Coupe

This car is so much fun to drive. For a small six cylinder, it really moves. There have been a few minor problems, but if you are handy enough, most can befixed without going to the dealership. There are a number of online forums that you can join and ask questions of other owners that are more than willing to help. You'll find there is almost always someone who has experienced your problem or something like it and they will go out of their way to help you because BMW owners love their cars and people who drive the same ones! The car's handling is legendary and doesn't really need to be elaborated on. Truly the ultimate driving machine.

Open your wallet
By vikast on 12/27/04 10:38 AM (PST)

1999 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in 1999 and have averaged 15000 miles per year. The car is great to drive, but has had numerous reliability issues - air conditioner replaced, all four power window motors / actuators replaced (2 replaced twice), minor fluid leaks, front suspension components replaced, thermostat replaced twice, four sets of headlights, etc. In addition to reliabilty issues - maintenance is exorbitant. The dealer wanted $1,200 for brakes, $250 for a new battery, $600 for inspections, etc. Parts are special, so you can't just go out and buy them at Pep Boys. As a car, the BMW is only marginally better than the G35 and TL, but the ownership experience is worse than the Japanese.

Great car spoiled by Reliability Issues
By vikas on 11/29/04 19:28 PM (PST)

1999 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

I bought the BMW 3 series new in 1999. The car drives incredibly well; however, the reliability is far below competing japanese makes and maintenance costs border on the obscene. In the 84k I've had the car, I've replaced all of the window motors, changed the AC compressor (twice), replaced parts of the front suspension, repaired several fluid leaks and replaced the thermostat (twice). In addition, a new battery was $250, since you can't go to WalMart and buy a battery. The dealer wanted $1,200 for a normal brake service and over $1,000 to change the belts (I went elsewhere, but still expensive).

54k miles
By I500X on 11/13/04 01:46 AM (PST)

1999 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

I've been driving this thing for 3 years now and I don't plan to switch! It's easy to take this car for granted until you've driven something else. BMW's handling is amazing.. it gives me so much confidence on the road. You get an excellent feel for the road and the steering is firm. Handles great in the dry but I've had some problems in the wet. Then again, my tires were old. Although this car is pretty quick, it doesn't have as much power as I'd like. Next car will be more performance oriented (Probably an M3). It's almost 2005 and this car is still better than most cars on the streets. Excellent ballance of performance, comfort, and functionaly

2.25 year update
By noflash on 10/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

Last 22k miles have been great. Only issues have been expensive dealer maintenance. I solved that with an independant shop who does the work for half the price. Also, have had all four window regulators replaced under CPO warranty ($50 ded.). Car still drives like a dream. Fast, fun, near flawless, stellar gas mileage. Great handling in snow with Blizzacks. Hope to keep it 300k miles!