Used 1999 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
Perfect except for reliablity
By davidsmith

1999 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

Bit on the pricy side with only 170hp, since most japanese competition now offer 200 or more. But it doesn't feel slow by any means. Design and materials used in the cabin are top notch. Too bad they rattle like nissan sentra. Lots of minor problems, like airbag light being on constantly,(fixed 4 times already) but probably more fun to drive than lot of sport cars. Minor body roll without sport package.

Favorite Features

Almost Turbo sounding I6, crisp shifter.

Suggested Improvements

BMW needs to concentrate on making electrical parts reliable. still not up to par with japanese competition

Pretty Sad!!!! Better off Buying a Ford!
By 2L8-IWON

1999 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

I have to say I am thourghly dissapointed!! I have had two BMs and will never get another BMW Canada and their Dealers are most unhelpfull and inconsiderate, I have had to replace so far over $3,000 and BMW says I do not care sir even if you are only 3,500 miles out of your warranty, and then they say sorry you are not even the original owner so we will do nothing for you!!

Favorite Features

Nothing, I will trade in both my 325I and the 328I and getting a Ford or a Acura

Suggested Improvements

Make the car as reliable... And PS BMW Germany if you want to fix this let me know email me.

The Ultimate TRASHY Screaming Machine
By RS

1999 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

I always had very good impression of BMWs, but everything changed since I actually bought one. On an unfortunate day I bought a used 99 BMW 323i with 70K miles, got it inspected by a BMW dealer who said "This car is really good, buy it". Then it started costing me almost $1000/- every month on some trashy problems keep on occurring. Worst part is it has no warranty on it. It started running sluggish, CHECK ENGINE light keep coming and dealer has been fixing some thing or other every time it comes on and still it comes almost every 2 weeks with a new problem. Now I'm going to trade it in that for a much more reliable car.

Favorite Features

Just BMW name.

Suggested Improvements

Long term quality and reliability MUST be improved. Anyway I am not going buy another BMW in my life. And I will tell the same thing to anyone who asks about a BMW.

Open your wallet
By vikast

1999 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in 1999 and have averaged 15000 miles per year. The car is great to drive, but has had numerous reliability issues - air conditioner replaced, all four power window motors / actuators replaced (2 replaced twice), minor fluid leaks, front suspension components replaced, thermostat replaced twice, four sets of headlights, etc. In addition to reliabilty issues - maintenance is exorbitant. The dealer wanted $1,200 for brakes, $250 for a new battery, $600 for inspections, etc. Parts are special, so you can't just go out and buy them at Pep Boys. As a car, the BMW is only marginally better than the G35 and TL, but the ownership experience is worse than the Japanese.

Favorite Features

Ride and handling, interior material quality

Suggested Improvements

Reliability and maintenance

BMW the cost of Luxury and repairs
By Jimbo1999

1999 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

The car now has 98K miles. I had a few problems with the car since I've owned it. My Air bag light came on around 80K miles. Diagnosis is a faulty Air bag computer, cost is $500. North American BMW will not assist in any way since warranty is not valid. Sunroof acts up by not closing as it should. I have found that this car needs alot of pampering to make it run problematic free. I have a toyota and no problems. Not sure if I would recommend one. I'll probably buy a Porsche or Mercedes next time.

Favorite Features

I do admire the looks and style, especially the new M3 and M5's. Nice transmission and engine.

Suggested Improvements

Improvements on electrical aspects of these cars are needed. Improve customer service is also recommended.