Used 1999 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Good ride but caution
By bucklaobmr

1999 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

First BMW, got another one (06 330i) even with the minor issues I had with this one. Caution on getting the first year of a new generation (1999 E46 in this case). Should have waited for the bug fixes. Good handling, styling. Had to replace 4 window regulators, 2 cooling fans and 1 control arm. Broken sunroof shade. BMW owner should know that these cars are high performance = high maintenance. Tires will wear out in 20k miles.

Favorite Features

Metallic paint still shines, handling, fuel economy (30mpg hwy), styling, reliable engine.

Suggested Improvements

More power, improve minor components reliability, nav system.

New car
By jeramie alward

1999 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

I have always enjoyed BMWs, I drove my first one back in 04 when my mom gave me a hand-me-down 325i 94. It was a great car for a just out of high school kid to have. I now drive an E46 99 and this is by far an excellent vehicle. The fact that these cars are very electronically sophisticated makes it almost imperative that they be taken to an authorized BMW tech for service every time the engine light comes on and for all tune ups. These cars are very fragile and not as durable as others.

Favorite Features

The engine sound interior and exterior are my favorite parts about this vehicle.

Fun to drive, but...
By photown

1999 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

Feels as solid as a tank. Could be quicker but fun nonetheless. Handles as if on rails. The controls are in all of the right places. Looks to kill. Perfect car, but it's an absolute money pit to own. Spent $6000 on repair bills including water pump, computer ($2000), rear-end bushings, 3 window actuators ($375/each) and other misc. parts. Dealer wanted to do even more repairs totaling $4000 (replacing radiator and expansion tank was $2500!). Walk away uless it comes with a very good extended warranty.

Favorite Features

Handling, power, styling, interior controls, seat comfort and fuel economy (26.5 mpg mixed).

Suggested Improvements

Reliability past 60,000 miles is horrible.

A Dream
By lucky wolf

1999 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

Bought this vehicle for myself with 97000 miles and fully loaded with no apparent deficits (one owner vehicle). Body, engine, paint, interior, exterior in immaculate condition. Have driven it on long and short trips and it continues to elicit stares from lexus and benz owners. This vehicle is made for driving!!

Favorite Features

Body style and performance.

BMW Owner No More
By JUAN B

1999 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

I always wanted a BMW, this was my first and maybe my last. I have not driven the car one day without a light coming on. Either the turning lights (I haven't figured out the problem) or the check engine light, or the ABS and the list goes on. There is a lot of noise coming into the cabin from the suspension. The moonroof was always a problem. It is not a family friendly car, my baby's stroller barely fits in the trunk, and with the driver's seat in the driving position, not even my 6 year old would fit. I had to service the A/C because a low pressure hose broke. I hate sounding so negative, but it is true. I ended up buying another car, not a bimmer.

Favorite Features

It is truly a nice car to drive.

Suggested Improvements

I guess the slogan of the ultimate driving machine is true, but it comes with a high price in terms of peace of mind. I would trade less sex appeal for a little bit more reliability.