1999 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
Good Until...
By A.V. on 08/29/06 13:52 PM (PDT)

1999 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

I have to say I was pleased with all aspects of my 1999 323i untill recently and coincidently when the balance of the warranty ran out. That was when the "fun" began or around 50K. So far I have had the air conditioner repaired twice, brakes done a couple of times and now the transmission is slipping at 80K, which according to the dealer costs $3500 to start, which I will not repair. However, until recently, I really had no problems to speak of that were truly serious. The sunroof was a major area of difficulty and had to be repaired twice. Overall I love the car, but I do not think I would buy another one due to the high costs of frequent repairs. Great if you have the $$$ to fix.

Unbelievable Ride
By Kyle F on 05/02/06 19:33 PM (PDT)

1999 BMW 3 Series 323is 2dr Coupe

This is my first BMW and far from my last. I will never get rid of it but sure to get another. It is the smoothest ride with great handling. Great for just cruising around town and can handle its own when wanting to get somewhere quick. I have had a few little problems when I first bought it like an alignment but thats really it. The brake pads keep you busy with the dust but I replaced those by choice. The exterior is very sleek and sporty and the interior is pretty classy. The engine could use a little more power but I have done a few mods and gotten plenty of power. I have absolutely no complaints about this car and do not plan on having any Just do regular maint. and it will run forever

Great Santa Cruz Mountain Commuter
By Jon C on 03/10/06 15:33 PM (PST)

1999 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

I just bought this car as my wife's 1st car. She is arriving soon from Thailand and has never driven a car. I wanted something fun but safe & reliable. I bought the car for $7,500, 83K miles and put about $500 more into new bushings, hoses, belts, and fluid changes etc. The car is a lot of fun and quite a bit of fun to drive. The body and interior are flawless, mechanically it is very sound. My regular mechanics ordered the dealer parts and made the repairs I needed cheaply. This is a fun and cheap little car. I have read all the crying and hand wringing on this site but I have been lucky. It needed an alignment and bushings as stated but nothing else major. I'll follow up if it implodes...

Never Again!
By T Gillespie on 01/12/06 06:24 AM (PST)

1999 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

After owning this car for over 5 years I can honestly say it is the most unreliable & expensive to repair vehicle I've ever had. Everything that could go wrong has and at a huge cost to repair. Anyone thinking of buying one of these cars should think again! I've endured complete brake replacements every 15K miles, had to replace almost the entire front suspension (worn ball joints can not be replaced by themselves), the mass air flow sensor, all 6 ignition coils, cam shaft sensor and a whole host of other "should be reliable" electronic components have failed. If someone gives you one of these cars - sell it!

1999 BMW 323I
By John doe on 12/30/05 22:08 PM (PST)

1999 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Convertible

This car is the best car I have ever owned in reliability, fun to drive, and utility. It has only been in the shop a few times for routine maintenance and performs nicely to this day.

The Ultimate TRASHY Screaming Machine
By RS on 09/03/05 18:04 PM (PDT)

1999 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

I always had very good impression of BMWs, but everything changed since I actually bought one. On an unfortunate day I bought a used 99 BMW 323i with 70K miles, got it inspected by a BMW dealer who said "This car is really good, buy it". Then it started costing me almost $1000/- every month on some trashy problems keep on occurring. Worst part is it has no warranty on it. It started running sluggish, CHECK ENGINE light keep coming and dealer has been fixing some thing or other every time it comes on and still it comes almost every 2 weeks with a new problem. Now I'm going to trade it in that for a much more reliable car.

Smooooooth
By bmr girl on 08/17/05 00:17 AM (PDT)

1999 BMW 3 Series 323i 2dr Convertible

Fun and easy. This is the most fun I've ever had outside. I'll have to move south to get more months of enjoyment. Just enough power.

'99 BMW - Great Car In Indy
By SEIndyBMW on 08/11/05 15:30 PM (PDT)

1999 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

I purchased my used '99 BMW 323i (32,000 miles)in Indianapolis, Indiana in the Spring of 2005. Very sharp looking car - titanium gray / black leather interior. Excellent handling and performance. This entry-level sports car hugs the road and drives fantastic. No major issues ...

The Ultimate Driving Machine!
By Jeff Taylor on 07/05/05 12:52 PM (PDT)

1999 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Convertible

I get so many coments about my dark green '99 328ic convertible. "Nice car!" It gets a personal hand detail about twice a month. A four hour labor of love. Many ask: How do you like your BMW? The best way for me to sum it up is to honestly say: I could win the lottery Saturday night, and that would change a lot of things about my life. However, I would NOT change my car. Perhaps buy others, but this BMW is a keeper.

We need more hatchbacks like this
By Dave on 06/19/05 16:27 PM (PDT)

1999 BMW 3 Series 318ti 2dr Hatchback

Americans would like hatchbacks more if there were more hatchbacks like this. A great mix of practicality and luxury. And it packs a lot of interior room into a not very long car. Very easy to park at only 166 inches in length, yet it's cargo capacity can carry a full sized dresser, fully assembled.