Used 1999 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

99 Convertibles Rock
By sanderson14

1999 BMW 3 Series 323i 2dr Convertible

So far have logged 190k miles. I run 10k miles between oil changes with full synthetic and drive hard and fast. This dream car has held up perfectly. I can get just under 30mpg if I keep the speed below 70. No leaks, doesn't burn oil and still looks like a new car. Repair history: replaced radiator (185k miles); brakes once (front at 90k and rears at 110k - nearly 90% of my driving is highway. Control arms at 100k, HVAC unit at 90K and one tune up at 100k. Advice - DIY for repairs (great websites out there for "how-to" advice and it is pretty easy to work on); buy parts from a reputable aftermarket company. Buy a wind deflector and put the top down!!

Favorite Features

Top down. Handling. Top end speed. Styling.

Suggested Improvements

Stronger hinges for glove box

First & Last BMW
By gl36

1999 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

BMW=Bring Money With You. This car was junk from day one. All 4 electric window motors & relays replaced. Ac condenser electric fan-replaced 4 times. Belt broke did $1100.00 damage. Radiator split, $1300.00 front end, list goes on & on. Best day of my life when it was gone.

Suggested Improvements

BMW needs to use quality parts.

Convertibles Rock
By Hammer

1999 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Convertible

BMW must have made the convertibles much better because they seem to get much better reviews! I (and the previous owner) experienced NO problems other than routine maintenance (and I just passed 108,000 miles with no problems). Great vehicle - sure, it it stiff and tight, but its a sports car that rides and drives like a race car and get excellent gas mileage (average 24 mpg if I can keep my foot out of the fuel tank!). At 8 years old, the only thing I really need to upgrade is the stereo speakers. I did install a new top, but that's a given at the 6 to 8 year mark. Keep it clean and tuned up and the convertible's run fast, hard, and forever!

Favorite Features

Cruising with the top down, stereo blasting, and the looks from all the Lexus, Mercedes, and other foreign drives that wish they had purchased a BMW!

Suggested Improvements

I would say a CD player (in dash), but mine came with a factory installed changer in the trunk that works great!

Okay... I guess...
By js

1999 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

I drove an '06 330 w/ sport pkg for a year, which is the greatest car I've ever driven outside of a Ferrari. I thought I'd ditch the new one for a used to avoid payments. Dumb. The 99 falls very short of my expectations. Sure, it drives great, when I'm not under the hood. 125k miles, and I've had to do "normal" wear and tear maintenance (control arm bushings, shocks, rotors, brakes, tires, battery, alternator, ac compressor, alignment, fluid flush, tune up, and a secondary air pump). Seems a bit excessive for "normal" wear and tear ($5300). My only fear is what's next?! Oh, and the stereo stinks! 8 speakers, none of which put out any bass! New stereo a must.

Favorite Features

Overall driving experience is great, outside of maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

Cost of maintenance. These cars have a rep of lasting 250k+ miles, but the maintenance is very costly. Also, stereo stinks, and sunroof has problems. Electronics aren't great either. Buy a newer BMW!

Still Going Great
By Zack

1999 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in 99 and have had only minor problems since (brakes at 50, shocks and suspension at 80) but otherwise this car is a tank. No major problems and best of all I am still getting almost 27 mpg. One complaint is the dealership maintenance. Don't go there if you can help it, they charge 2x what a good local mechanic who knows BMWs does. If you have a late model BMW do yourself a favor and find a reputable local mechanic whom you can trust to fix your car.

Favorite Features

Miles per gallon, almost 27! Front seat comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Needs more storage space in front.