1999 BMW 3 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
Great old second car
By tssutton on 05/24/13 01:21 AM (PDT)

1999 BMW 3 Series Sedan 323i 4dr Sedan

Bought my 99 323i in September of 2012 with around 150k miles on it. I have the automatic base model which doesn't include power seats or fog lamps. But has every other option such as leather and sunroof. Got it for around $5,200 with a 1yr unlimited mile warranty. Bought as a second car to keep the miles down on my 2011 VW Passat. Starter began to stick when weather turned really cold and was replaced at local BMW dealer under warranty ($750 bill) also had an issue with the left turn signal blinking continuously even when it wasn't engaged ($350 parts and labor). Overall not bad for a car bought cheap and is 14yrs old. Drives like a dream. A little thirsty on gas for a 6 cyl engine.

Ultimate driving machine
By ec1024 on 05/04/11 15:38 PM (PDT)

1999 BMW 3 Series Sedan 323i 4dr Sedan

Best first car I've ever owned! Always reliable! People complain of the price to maintain BMW's sometimes. Yes, it is just a little bit more, but I'd rather pay that extra bit to have a vehicle that drives and looks great. Of course it's not a higher end BMW, but it is a BMW and a great starter BMW to have!

Still Great
By SW on 03/31/10 14:11 PM (PDT)

1999 BMW 3 Series Sedan 323i 4dr Sedan

99 323i with premium and cold weather. 113k miles and still handles and runs strong. You have to get comfortable with maint - these cars need lots of love. Always check the maint records and get to know a good mechanic. Great cars!!

Good Car If You Can Afford It
By Jen on 02/03/10 23:28 PM (PST)

1999 BMW 3 Series Sedan 323i 4dr Sedan

My dad purchased this car for me in May. I had it inspected and they said it was in above average condition. Since I bought it I've had to replace the expansion tank for $300, Power Steering Pump and Hoses $1000, oil change for $160 and other hoses for $500. This is come to be expected of an 11 year old car. The brakes and brake pads have been fixed but constantly squeak and my lighter and car door lock button are broken. I've had the car inspected and the tires aligned but my car ALWAYS pulls! Other than those issues the car is good to drive, although it is TERRIBLE on gas. I am quite fond of the car but if I have a repair over $500 again, I'm selling it!

Reliable
By Mike on 09/24/09 12:58 PM (PDT)

1999 BMW 3 Series Sedan 323i 4dr Sedan

We bought this the first year out and besides the window regulator not working and being replace a few time it has been a great car. I have looked to replace it and unless I spend over 30k is performs and gets better gas MPG then the new cars of it size. I get 20 around town and 30 on the hwy. I will drive it until it dies.

Okay... I guess...
By js on 12/08/07 19:08 PM (PST)

1999 BMW 3 Series Sedan 323i 4dr Sedan

I drove an '06 330 w/ sport pkg for a year, which is the greatest car I've ever driven outside of a Ferrari. I thought I'd ditch the new one for a used to avoid payments. Dumb. The 99 falls very short of my expectations. Sure, it drives great, when I'm not under the hood. 125k miles, and I've had to do "normal" wear and tear maintenance (control arm bushings, shocks, rotors, brakes, tires, battery, alternator, ac compressor, alignment, fluid flush, tune up, and a secondary air pump). Seems a bit excessive for "normal" wear and tear ($5300). My only fear is what's next?! Oh, and the stereo stinks! 8 speakers, none of which put out any bass! New stereo a must.

Still Going Great
By Zack on 10/12/07 08:01 AM (PDT)

1999 BMW 3 Series Sedan 323i 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in 99 and have had only minor problems since (brakes at 50, shocks and suspension at 80) but otherwise this car is a tank. No major problems and best of all I am still getting almost 27 mpg. One complaint is the dealership maintenance. Don't go there if you can help it, they charge 2x what a good local mechanic who knows BMWs does. If you have a late model BMW do yourself a favor and find a reputable local mechanic whom you can trust to fix your car.

A Dream
By lucky wolf on 02/17/07 22:30 PM (PST)

1999 BMW 3 Series Sedan 323i 4dr Sedan

Bought this vehicle for myself with 97000 miles and fully loaded with no apparent deficits (one owner vehicle). Body, engine, paint, interior, exterior in immaculate condition. Have driven it on long and short trips and it continues to elicit stares from lexus and benz owners. This vehicle is made for driving!!

BMW Owner No More
By JUAN B on 12/01/06 13:04 PM (PST)

1999 BMW 3 Series Sedan 323i 4dr Sedan

I always wanted a BMW, this was my first and maybe my last. I have not driven the car one day without a light coming on. Either the turning lights (I haven't figured out the problem) or the check engine light, or the ABS and the list goes on. There is a lot of noise coming into the cabin from the suspension. The moonroof was always a problem. It is not a family friendly car, my baby's stroller barely fits in the trunk, and with the driver's seat in the driving position, not even my 6 year old would fit. I had to service the A/C because a low pressure hose broke. I hate sounding so negative, but it is true. I ended up buying another car, not a bimmer.

Good Until...
By A.V. on 08/29/06 13:52 PM (PDT)

1999 BMW 3 Series Sedan 323i 4dr Sedan

I have to say I was pleased with all aspects of my 1999 323i untill recently and coincidently when the balance of the warranty ran out. That was when the "fun" began or around 50K. So far I have had the air conditioner repaired twice, brakes done a couple of times and now the transmission is slipping at 80K, which according to the dealer costs $3500 to start, which I will not repair. However, until recently, I really had no problems to speak of that were truly serious. The sunroof was a major area of difficulty and had to be repaired twice. Overall I love the car, but I do not think I would buy another one due to the high costs of frequent repairs. Great if you have the $$$ to fix.

1 2 3 4 5 next »