Used 1998 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Bmw 3-series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Drive a BMW and you'll see why!
By GearHeadPeter

1998 BMW 3 Series 318i 4dr Sedan

I am a car guy as I have 60' & 70's muscle cars. I bought this car in Sept. of 2003 with only 35K on it. This is the best car to have fun in. It has great power for I6, the HK stereo and CD changer are awesome. The only problems I had was the taillight warning light telling me I had a burned out bulb. I found out by using Google that it is related to a faulty Stop light switch, which I replaced for under $20 and never had a problem since. I like one or two others have had a auto transmission problem when serviced but it was covered under the extended warranty, 4 years unlimited mileage, and only cost me $75 for a new transmission. Too Cool!

Favorite Features

Being able to put the auto in manual mode, take off the traction control and shift the car. The HK stereo is fantastic, and since I have made some performance upgrades the car is even more fun to drive, if that is possible.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders are bad, but the Germans believe that driving a BMW should not be distracted by drinking coffee or soda.

Truly the Ultimate Driving Machine
By Dell Sanders

1998 BMW 3 Series 323is 2dr Coupe

This car had about 40,000 miles on it when I bought it under the Certified Pre-Owned program - that has turned out to be the best car-buying decision I ever made. I LOVE THIS CAR !! It now has over 104,000 miles on it - I've driven it back and forth across the entire country several times and there was never a problem. BMW really has a way of making you feel at one with the car like no other carmaker seems to be able to duplicate. Maintenance costs have been average with no expensive surprises. Everyone is amazed at how clean the engine always stays, and at how shiny the original paint still is, although I've lived both in dry desert areas and very cold climates. Again - I love this car!

Favorite Features

Great styling - sporty yet elegant inside and out. I love the acceleration and throaty exhaust sound. The steering is absolutely perfect - praises to BMW !! The seats are very comfortable for a smaller car and do not hurt your back on long trips like sooooo many other cars it's size.

Suggested Improvements

The cupholders are absolutely ridiculous - but if I were a carmaker and the only complaint was the cupholders, well then I guess I'd be pretty content, as BMW should be!! And besides, drinking a beverage is the last thing on your mind when you're racing around a hair-pin turn....

Amazing
By gabe dietz

1998 BMW 3 Series 328is 2dr Coupe

Black on black with tinted windows and a sun roof... ohhhh yea! This car drives amazing. I bought it with 59k on it a year and a half ago and now it has 72k. It feels like it will be good for another 100k. The only problem I have had with it was a failed catalytic converter, which was still under warranty. You will not find a better car for the money. Great performance and good gas mileage...I get just over 30 mpg on the highway and 25 in the city and the car takes regular 89 octane gas! If you want a sports car that is still somewhat practical, this car is perfect.

Favorite Features

Definitely get the Harmon Kardon sound system and the trip computer. This is the smoothest manual transmission I have ever driven.

Suggested Improvements

What's up with the cup holders!? Germans apparently have never heard of soda cans or coffee cups.

Great Car
By Jeff

1998 BMW 3 Series 323is 2dr Coupe

This has been a great car. I have 103,000 miles and never a problem. I plan on keeping it another 100,000,

Favorite Features

Style, performance

Suggested Improvements

Better cup holder, Tires don't last long - other than that it is great.

Best Series 3 Ever
By Fonfed

1998 BMW 3 Series 328is 2dr Coupe

The 328 IS is probably one of the best series 3 ever built by BMW. The engine is very responsive, powerful and yet quiet. Gas consumption is outstanding. I actually make 32 m/g on highway and 26 on city traffic. The interior is very confortable and luxurious. Needless to say the 328 is very well built with lots of attention to details. Mechanically the 328 is as good as it gets.

Favorite Features

Powerful engine, gas mileage, elegant exterior and interior design. The trip-computer is a plus.

Suggested Improvements

None.