1998 BMW 3 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
6 years so far!
By jasbudd on 04/23/05 22:09 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1998 328i in January 1999. It had 14,000 miles on the odometer. It currently has 64,000. It has never broken down or stranded me. It is a 5 speed stick with premium package (no sport which means I can rotate the tires). The car is awsome and I am a car nut. The acceleration and handling are the tops. The HK sound system is excellent. My ave. fuel economy is 25 miles to the gallon. Yes you become one with the car, it's a BMW. I have only performed the routine scheduled maintenance since owning(the countdown lights). Nothing has broken so far. I did just replace the battery 2 weeks ago (original, it's in the trunk!). I hope to keep this car till either it or I expire!

Bavarian Cream
By Colin on 03/01/05 13:47 PM (PST)

1998 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

After years of BMW hating, my girlfriend finally convinced me to take one for a test drive. I drove an E46 325i (which I loved but did not find the price very inviting) and then my now E36 328i. Never have I experienced a car that is so connected to the driver and is able to "read" what I am doing next. For roughly $13k for a nice, low mileage example, there is simply no better car to buy than an e36 BMW. What a car! Much like an old Z, this is a car that I am kicking myself over for not discovering earlier. I bought mine from the dealership for an excellent price (With a 100k mile warranty included!) as a one owner, full history car. For those of you without one, you are truly missing out!

Fun car but watch out for maintenance
By B-Man68 on 01/06/05 14:13 PM (PST)

1998 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

A lot of fun to drive but maintenance costs are very high. When my transmission went out I learned that BMW claims the earlier 328's have a "lifetime transmission" with a "lifetime fill" of fluid and do not recommend a tranny service. I followed the recommended maintenance to a T and never had the tranny serviced. Replacing it cost me over $4k. Had I had it serviced it would not have failed when it did. BMW now recommends a tranny service on newer models but still not on the older ones. Even the fluid mfg's recommend changing the fluid. Where BMW came up with the "lifetime" claim is beyond me. I ended up getting the money I spent on the new tranny back through small claims court.

I love that car!!!
By HL1981 on 10/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 3 Series Sedan 318i 4dr Sedan

This car is so fun to drive!

The Finest in German Engineering
By Trin->Starr on 08/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

I bought my BM used in 2002, and this car is AMAZING. There are few quirks that seem to happen with all BMWs but they are not life threatening, or highly irritating. I would definitely recommend this car to anyone. Dealership fees are a bit exorbitant, but look around where you live, you will find some that specialize in BMWs and other german cars. The internet also has a great repository of information on how to fix/repair, and troubleshoot. Most of them can be done by yourself

Great Car
By DPoon on 07/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

I had no intention of buying a BMW when I bought this car. It had been traded in 2 days before and was in perfect condition. It only had 48k on it. I did the test drive and there was no question about buying it. Surprisingly, the price was excellent. Much lower than I though a BMW should be.

A longtime dream come true...
By Trish Arnold on 06/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

I have wanted a BMW 3 series since the mid 90's. I finally bought a '98 328i this year and I LOVE it!!! I have owned brand new cars that weren't as tight as this car! It's beautiful, handles fantastic, and is SO much fun to drive, I find myself making excuses to drive it!

!998 328ia sedan
By Hotdog2020 on 04/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

Owned car for 2.5 years and still have a huge smile on my face! This is the car that keeps on giving. My wife (not a car nut like me)after driving the car for a short errand will enter the room and still comments "nice car". Excellent handling and power. Some cars may do better in other areas, however, when you take the sum of all the parts,handling,power,fuel economy,safety and resale value, nobody beats BMW. I could have bought a brand new Taurus and after 5 years what would you have.

Love-hate relationship with my E36
By Andy S on 07/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

I love driving my 328i. The steering, throttle response, pedal placement, driving position, etc. were very well done. The down side is the know list of "common E36 problems" that I keep having to fix. Expect to replace front ball joints and rear shock mounts. Also, it's just a matter of time before some component of the cooling system will fail.

Ridiculous Cost of Repairs
By mjsaad on 04/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

I have loved this car for the past 5 years UNTIL I have had two repairs totalling $1,000.00 already and the issue is in the high cost of the parts. The fuel pump costed $250, which can be argued as my fault, BUT the $900 bill for fixing a leaking air condensor and drier was ridiculous. What is next? Maybe the $5,000 + engine? I am now concerned and am ready to trade in this car for another brand.