Used 1998 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

1998 BMW 3 Series
By THE "G"

1998 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

Bought my Black 328i in 2000. 2nd owner it was a lease vehicle. I have been a naughty owner and have only changed the oil, rotors, brake pads, brake sensors & tires for the most part. I put TVs in the head rests, Chrome 18" rims w/z-rate tires and a kicking stereo system in addition to the HK system that included a tv in the radio as well. I've driven this car through out Germany, Belgium, Luxemburg, the Netherlands, and from coast to coast (in the US. The tint came in handy) plenty of times and never has it stranded me. I had a problem with the acceleration in auto and would have to drop down to manual but it still never starnded me and continued to out perform other vehicles.

The high rate of speed that it is able to handle for long periods of time. The Steptronic feature is a life saver in my case.

BMW, I think needs to make these cars more owner maint friendly. They need more leg room and truck space.

Always wanted one
By hueston69

1998 BMW 3 Series Sedan 318i 4dr Sedan

Always wanted a 5 series wagon, but when this came available I couldn't help myself. Other than being very slow off the line this is the best driving vehicle I have ever owned. This car is so smooth at highway speeds (and faster!!), that I can't wait to take long road trips. Have only had it for a few months, so can't say much about reliability other than I am not afraid to drive this car long distances.

Harmon Kardon stereo.

Wish I had an armrest, only thing wrong with this vehicle.

My first bmw
By victorrrq

1998 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

The car is fantastic...when its fixed. When I first bought the car it was all right, but when the warrantee ended, I was forced to go fix the car. Cooling problems, electrical problems, I probably spent over 10g's of repairs and upgrades to the car. I love the car but the repairs for it are a...you know what. And the car is awful in winter, but that could be fixed with newer winter tires.

I love the power of the inline 6. the engine will push if you need it to. And the stability on the car is amazing, weaving through traffic never been so much fun. I have total control of the car.

Improvements? Not much to say but I'm a young adult and I'd rather not have the wood looking interior. I'd rather have carbon fiber haha.

Drive a BMW and you'll see why!
By GearHeadPeter

1998 BMW 3 Series Sedan 318i 4dr Sedan

I am a car guy as I have 60' & 70's muscle cars. I bought this car in Sept. of 2003 with only 35K on it. This is the best car to have fun in. It has great power for I6, the HK stereo and CD changer are awesome. The only problems I had was the taillight warning light telling me I had a burned out bulb. I found out by using Google that it is related to a faulty Stop light switch, which I replaced for under $20 and never had a problem since. I like one or two others have had a auto transmission problem when serviced but it was covered under the extended warranty, 4 years unlimited mileage, and only cost me $75 for a new transmission. Too Cool!

Being able to put the auto in manual mode, take off the traction control and shift the car. The HK stereo is fantastic, and since I have made some performance upgrades the car is even more fun to drive, if that is possible.

The cup holders are bad, but the Germans believe that driving a BMW should not be distracted by drinking coffee or soda.

1st BMW but not last!
By MarkT

1998 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

1st BMW but not last! Got a great deal on a great car. Have had it over 2 years and have enjoyed every minute. Only 1 minor problem, a leaky valve, $200, and not a bump since. Best driving car, the Japanese cannot compete with the Germans! Have had Honda, Toyota, Nissan, but nothing like a BMW!!! I am about to buy my 2nd, a 5 series, since having a baby. Would recommend a 98 328 to anyone condsidering an entry Beemer...

Handling, nice interior, great fuel economy 30 mpgs on hwy!

None for a 98 model