Used 1998 BMW 3 Series 328i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

1st BMW but not last!
By MarkT

1998 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

1st BMW but not last! Got a great deal on a great car. Have had it over 2 years and have enjoyed every minute. Only 1 minor problem, a leaky valve, $200, and not a bump since. Best driving car, the Japanese cannot compete with the Germans! Have had Honda, Toyota, Nissan, but nothing like a BMW!!! I am about to buy my 2nd, a 5 series, since having a baby. Would recommend a 98 328 to anyone condsidering an entry Beemer...

Handling, nice interior, great fuel economy 30 mpgs on hwy!

None for a 98 model

6 years so far!
By jasbudd

1998 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1998 328i in January 1999. It had 14,000 miles on the odometer. It currently has 64,000. It has never broken down or stranded me. It is a 5 speed stick with premium package (no sport which means I can rotate the tires). The car is awsome and I am a car nut. The acceleration and handling are the tops. The HK sound system is excellent. My ave. fuel economy is 25 miles to the gallon. Yes you become one with the car, it's a BMW. I have only performed the routine scheduled maintenance since owning(the countdown lights). Nothing has broken so far. I did just replace the battery 2 weeks ago (original, it's in the trunk!). I hope to keep this car till either it or I expire!

The performance, handling and good looks. Gas mileage, solidity of construction. HK sound, great brakes (good to have on performance vehicle), one touch up and down windows, throaty acceleration sound, 4 doors (3 kids),split fold down rear seat(comes in handy). BMW cruise control (real simple)

It's a 1998!. The improvements if there are really any are on the newer ones. let's see I have 4 wheel ABS, traction control, front and side airbags, HK sound a sunroof, remote keyless entry with alarm great acceleration and brakes, 4 doors with one touch windows and nothing has broken! I'm Good!!

Bavarian Cream
By Colin

1998 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

After years of BMW hating, my girlfriend finally convinced me to take one for a test drive. I drove an E46 325i (which I loved but did not find the price very inviting) and then my now E36 328i. Never have I experienced a car that is so connected to the driver and is able to "read" what I am doing next. For roughly $13k for a nice, low mileage example, there is simply no better car to buy than an e36 BMW. What a car! Much like an old Z, this is a car that I am kicking myself over for not discovering earlier. I bought mine from the dealership for an excellent price (With a 100k mile warranty included!) as a one owner, full history car. For those of you without one, you are truly missing out!

This car handles and is extremely fun to drive. Despite what one reads, maintenance is not too costly and if done as required, the car will run forever. Close the door on one and you will "feel" what BMW is made of. Solid, solid, solid! Gas mileage is excellent and the car is HANDSOME.

The cupholders are awful. The disc changer does not have a fast forward feature.

Fun car but watch out for maintenance
By B-Man68

1998 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

A lot of fun to drive but maintenance costs are very high. When my transmission went out I learned that BMW claims the earlier 328's have a "lifetime transmission" with a "lifetime fill" of fluid and do not recommend a tranny service. I followed the recommended maintenance to a T and never had the tranny serviced. Replacing it cost me over $4k. Had I had it serviced it would not have failed when it did. BMW now recommends a tranny service on newer models but still not on the older ones. Even the fluid mfg's recommend changing the fluid. Where BMW came up with the "lifetime" claim is beyond me. I ended up getting the money I spent on the new tranny back through small claims court.

The get up and go especially from around 40 or 50 mph to higher speeds; a fun car to drive

Maintenance costs are ridiculously high; BMW has limited maintenance guidelines and following them may lead to premature failures of various components, especially the tranny - I have talked with several people with the same problem; BMW customer service is about as arrogant as they come.

The Finest in German Engineering
By Trin->Starr

1998 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

I bought my BM used in 2002, and this car is AMAZING. There are few quirks that seem to happen with all BMWs but they are not life threatening, or highly irritating. I would definitely recommend this car to anyone. Dealership fees are a bit exorbitant, but look around where you live, you will find some that specialize in BMWs and other german cars. The internet also has a great repository of information on how to fix/repair, and troubleshoot. Most of them can be done by yourself

Beautiful aerodynamic shape. Powerful I6 engine. Huge trunk space. Quiet interior

More legroom for backseat passengers. Tail Light Failure warning although everything is in working order.