1998 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
Great Car
By DPoon on 07/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

I had no intention of buying a BMW when I bought this car. It had been traded in 2 days before and was in perfect condition. It only had 48k on it. I did the test drive and there was no question about buying it. Surprisingly, the price was excellent. Much lower than I though a BMW should be.

A longtime dream come true...
By Trish Arnold on 06/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

I have wanted a BMW 3 series since the mid 90's. I finally bought a '98 328i this year and I LOVE it!!! I have owned brand new cars that weren't as tight as this car! It's beautiful, handles fantastic, and is SO much fun to drive, I find myself making excuses to drive it!

!998 328ia sedan
By Hotdog2020 on 04/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

Owned car for 2.5 years and still have a huge smile on my face! This is the car that keeps on giving. My wife (not a car nut like me)after driving the car for a short errand will enter the room and still comments "nice car". Excellent handling and power. Some cars may do better in other areas, however, when you take the sum of all the parts,handling,power,fuel economy,safety and resale value, nobody beats BMW. I could have bought a brand new Taurus and after 5 years what would you have.

Love-hate relationship with my E36
By Andy S on 07/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

I love driving my 328i. The steering, throttle response, pedal placement, driving position, etc. were very well done. The down side is the know list of "common E36 problems" that I keep having to fix. Expect to replace front ball joints and rear shock mounts. Also, it's just a matter of time before some component of the cooling system will fail.

Ridiculous Cost of Repairs
By mjsaad on 04/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

I have loved this car for the past 5 years UNTIL I have had two repairs totalling $1,000.00 already and the issue is in the high cost of the parts. The fuel pump costed $250, which can be argued as my fault, BUT the $900 bill for fixing a leaking air condensor and drier was ridiculous. What is next? Maybe the $5,000 + engine? I am now concerned and am ready to trade in this car for another brand.

Great car, maintenance nightmare
By cats-rule on 04/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

I love this car, but hate the maintenance. I did not want to have this close a relationship with a service department. The service department is great and they treat you well, but they charge you tons of money and your car is there a lot.

I love my beemer!
By cats_rule_texas on 02/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

This car is fun to drive and comfortable. My car does not look like it is 5 years old. It handles well and is fun to drive.

Best car in the universe?
By joynerr on 09/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

I started on a six-month long car hunt and drove the new Sentra, Maxima, used GS400s and LS400s, Jettas and many other fine cars. I stumbled upon a used BMW 325 and took it for a drive. It immediately impressed me and I later drove some 328s. I bought a 1998 328i with the Harmon Kardon sound system, sport suspension, and silver metallic paint and am extremely pleased with the car. The car transforms from family sedan to sports car by just flicking it into a few tight turns and down shifting. For around 20k it seems like a steal parked next to the new +20k Taurus in the parking lot.

my 328i
By Turner on 02/26/02 18:33 PM (PST)

1998 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

great performance/comfort/appearance value! Fun to drive, reliable, and definitely worth it.