Used 1998 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Simple Joy
By goblue2010

1998 BMW 3 Series 318ti 2dr Hatchback

After long period, finally found my dream combination, which is M-sport package and Cal roof option. This one is equipped with fun-to-drive stick shift as well. My favourite features are too many to list. The best part is, of course, Cal roof then M-suspension/M-interior. The M44 engine always returns 31-32MPG with my driving, yet, it accelerates the ti quickly. The suspension sticks the road with minimum roll. It is not harsh either because BMW engineering tuned stiffness on the seats to match suspension characteristics. In my opinion, E36 is the best 3-series platform ever. As long as it is taken care of, it will drive for many years to come. Will keep it with my 98 M3 sedan.

Favorite Features

Powered Cal roof, M-sport package, and snappy 5-speed stick shift. Reliability has been spotless even after 13 years.

Suggested Improvements

The window regulator seems to be a regular maintenance item but other positive features outweigh the drawback.

Beware of the convertible top!
By domermom

1998 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Convertible

I just bought this car a couple of months ago. The previous owner spent over one thousand dollars at a BMW dealer attempting to fix the convertible-after all-that is why you buy this model. Although it does go up and down, it doesn't do it anywhere near as smooth as you would expect from a BMW. I am still going back and forth with the dealer I bought it from to get it right. Don't get me wrong-I LOVE the car_but I bought it for the convertible aspect and it is a very expensive and difficult thing to deal with.

Favorite Features

Driving with the top down and the way it hugs the road! And I have always loved a stick shift and this car should only be made that way-too much fun!

Suggested Improvements

The computer display on my car doesn't completely work - the LED display itself is burned out in several places. The convertible top mechanism could be less difficult to fix. And last-the airbag light on the passenger side is always on and is somehow connected to a very expensive part of the front passenger seat-so just to fix the light you need to replace a huge section of the seat.

One of the Best Cars Ever Made!!!
By average_dude

1998 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

I have had this car a long time now, and I am still amazed at how great it feels to be in it. I love the feel of the road and the sound of the sweet audio from the premium sound system in the car. It is super quick when I need it to be. And it is great on gas. I have only changed the alternator and done the regular mantinence since it was new. The space in the back seat is a little light. But, If I were a parent of 3 kids and needed a great second car, this would be it. I think the car looks so classy and screems traditional BMW style. It is the benchmark by which I will measure all future cars. It looks especially good in Alpine White. It's one to drive before you die. Own one if you can.

Favorite Features

Styling, performance and great fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Larger back seat capacity

Fun and Economical
By Knoxville

1998 BMW 3 Series 318i 4dr Sedan

I bought this used four years ago when it had 84k. It was my first 'upscale' car and I am totally spoiled. The 4cyl feels like a 6 and it can really move the car. The handling is solid and smooth. I believe that the ASC even kept me out of a major accident. Mine is MT and I average about 28mpg around town (although I'm a very efficient driver). I put about $1300 into fixing an emissions problem when I first got it, but nothing has gone wrong since - other than taillight problems. Still feels like a new car.

Favorite Features

MPG. The way the car coasts forever in neutral. The solid, quality feel. Very reliable engine.

Suggested Improvements

Cheap vinyl material on the seats cracks too easily. BMW might also want to look into cup holders that actually hold cups.

Bloddy Mangled Wreck
By DPhill

1998 BMW 3 Series 323is 2dr Coupe

i always like the E36 since i was a kid so i bought one with 98,000 miles on the clock. it seemed that as soon as the odometer turned over 100,000 miles, it no longer wanted to do anything correctly. it needed fixing and the parts are expensive. i have spent $6k-$8k on this car in parts alone this past year. the check engine light always comes on; as soon as one problem is fixed another thing is wrong. i drive conservatively and i can not get more than 15mpg and it goes through back tires very quickly. the engine is very noisy and vibrates a lot. the power windows can not go up without help and the headliner is falling off. all in all: i can not wait to buy another car.

Favorite Features

fun to drive, nice exterior, transmission and clutch feel very nice. handles well and the radio sounds good.

Suggested Improvements

reliability, the drivers seat is uncomfortable, tire life is very short, it keeps breaking and it is difficult to maintain. glove box dosent stay closed.