1998 BMW 3 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
I will keep this car for many years.
By soltnutz on 08/17/14 09:57 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

I bought the car 2 years ago from someone who had it for 11 years and never drove it in the winter. The car is near perfect condition with a few modifications ( the previous owner liked to go fast ). M3 cam, header, M50 intake, AA chip and 3 inch exhaust, full locking diff plus new adjustable suspension. The ride plus handling is tight.

Very Reliable Owner Must Have Basic Mechanic Skills
By skydog526 on 03/16/13 18:32 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 3 Series Sedan 318i 4dr Sedan

With out a doubt the BMW e36 M40 engines are a very reliable engine. These cars require routine maintenance such as oil changes with synthetic oil, oxygen sensor replacement every 30,000 - 60,000 miles for best fuel air mixture ratio and mpg performance. The cooling systems are prone to wear due to plastic BMW OEM parts however, replacing the thermostat, water pump and radiator with full metal parts is highly suggested. BMW parts for the E36 series are relatively inexpensive and can be found on the internet comparable to the price of Honda, or Toyota parts. I bought my 1998 BMW 318I in August of 2012 with 176,000 miles. I have not had any mechanical issues with it. I do my own maintainence

One of the Best Cars Ever Made!!!
By average_dude on 03/01/11 12:18 PM (PST)

1998 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

I have had this car a long time now, and I am still amazed at how great it feels to be in it. I love the feel of the road and the sound of the sweet audio from the premium sound system in the car. It is super quick when I need it to be. And it is great on gas. I have only changed the alternator and done the regular mantinence since it was new. The space in the back seat is a little light. But, If I were a parent of 3 kids and needed a great second car, this would be it. I think the car looks so classy and screems traditional BMW style. It is the benchmark by which I will measure all future cars. It looks especially good in Alpine White. It's one to drive before you die. Own one if you can.

Fun and Economical
By Knoxville on 06/23/10 08:04 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 3 Series Sedan 318i 4dr Sedan

I bought this used four years ago when it had 84k. It was my first 'upscale' car and I am totally spoiled. The 4cyl feels like a 6 and it can really move the car. The handling is solid and smooth. I believe that the ASC even kept me out of a major accident. Mine is MT and I average about 28mpg around town (although I'm a very efficient driver). I put about $1300 into fixing an emissions problem when I first got it, but nothing has gone wrong since - other than taillight problems. Still feels like a new car.

1998 BMW 328i sedan manual
By Twotone on 08/26/09 14:14 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

The BMW 3 Series is the best balance of luxury, sport, comfort, fun to drive and style. No other small sedan comes close. No other front engine, manual transmission RWD sedans are currently available. I get 21 MPG around town and two road trips of 33 MPG driving 80+ MPH. Other have mentioned reliability issues. In the 4+ years I have owned it, all I have done is oil changes, brake pads and tires. This has been the most reliable car I have owned (I've had 20+ cars). It still looks and drives like a new car after 11 years and 95k miles.

1998 BMW 3 Series
By THE "G" on 05/09/08 11:30 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

Bought my Black 328i in 2000. 2nd owner it was a lease vehicle. I have been a naughty owner and have only changed the oil, rotors, brake pads, brake sensors & tires for the most part. I put TVs in the head rests, Chrome 18" rims w/z-rate tires and a kicking stereo system in addition to the HK system that included a tv in the radio as well. I've driven this car through out Germany, Belgium, Luxemburg, the Netherlands, and from coast to coast (in the US. The tint came in handy) plenty of times and never has it stranded me. I had a problem with the acceleration in auto and would have to drop down to manual but it still never starnded me and continued to out perform other vehicles.

Always wanted one
By hueston69 on 08/16/07 12:46 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 3 Series Sedan 318i 4dr Sedan

Always wanted a 5 series wagon, but when this came available I couldn't help myself. Other than being very slow off the line this is the best driving vehicle I have ever owned. This car is so smooth at highway speeds (and faster!!), that I can't wait to take long road trips. Have only had it for a few months, so can't say much about reliability other than I am not afraid to drive this car long distances.

My first bmw
By victorrrq on 04/12/06 18:37 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

The car is fantastic...when its fixed. When I first bought the car it was all right, but when the warrantee ended, I was forced to go fix the car. Cooling problems, electrical problems, I probably spent over 10g's of repairs and upgrades to the car. I love the car but the repairs for it are a...you know what. And the car is awful in winter, but that could be fixed with newer winter tires.

Drive a BMW and you'll see why!
By GearHeadPeter on 08/19/05 13:05 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 3 Series Sedan 318i 4dr Sedan

I am a car guy as I have 60' & 70's muscle cars. I bought this car in Sept. of 2003 with only 35K on it. This is the best car to have fun in. It has great power for I6, the HK stereo and CD changer are awesome. The only problems I had was the taillight warning light telling me I had a burned out bulb. I found out by using Google that it is related to a faulty Stop light switch, which I replaced for under $20 and never had a problem since. I like one or two others have had a auto transmission problem when serviced but it was covered under the extended warranty, 4 years unlimited mileage, and only cost me $75 for a new transmission. Too Cool!

1st BMW but not last!
By MarkT on 05/27/05 21:55 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

1st BMW but not last! Got a great deal on a great car. Have had it over 2 years and have enjoyed every minute. Only 1 minor problem, a leaky valve, $200, and not a bump since. Best driving car, the Japanese cannot compete with the Germans! Have had Honda, Toyota, Nissan, but nothing like a BMW!!! I am about to buy my 2nd, a 5 series, since having a baby. Would recommend a 98 328 to anyone condsidering an entry Beemer...