1998 BMW 3 Series Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

318ti 1.9L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (10 reviews )
Simple Joy
By goblue2010 on 10/15/11 19:18 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 3 Series Hatchback 318ti 2dr Hatchback

After long period, finally found my dream combination, which is M-sport package and Cal roof option. This one is equipped with fun-to-drive stick shift as well. My favourite features are too many to list. The best part is, of course, Cal roof then M-suspension/M-interior. The M44 engine always returns 31-32MPG with my driving, yet, it accelerates the ti quickly. The suspension sticks the road with minimum roll. It is not harsh either because BMW engineering tuned stiffness on the seats to match suspension characteristics. In my opinion, E36 is the best 3-series platform ever. As long as it is taken care of, it will drive for many years to come. Will keep it with my 98 M3 sedan.

Awesome
By cj on 07/14/08 07:39 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 3 Series Hatchback 318ti 2dr Hatchback

I purchased this car to drive to and from work but I drive it all the time! Gas mileage is the best, getting 34 MPG and this car is 10 years old!

Fun
By nate on 05/24/06 19:02 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 3 Series Hatchback 318ti 2dr Hatchback

The best thing about this car is that it is fun... cornering is exceptional, handling very predictable. Truly enjoyable... california sunroof rare and makes the car even more unique.

1998 BMW 318ti Sport
By BB Fan on 10/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 3 Series Hatchback 318ti 2dr Hatchback

Exception handling and braking. Great gas mileage. Sports package is exception and car looks great. Car is fun to drive and is a real head turner.

love it
By michaelgdwn on 03/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 BMW 3 Series Hatchback 318ti 2dr Hatchback

drives great and its very fun

I love it!!
By k1llahbabe on 02/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 BMW 3 Series Hatchback 318ti 2dr Hatchback

I love my 318ti, the only thing about it that i don't like is how you can't move the steering wheel, i can never get confortable but other then that it's a pretty nice little car!!

It is what it is
By JrB on 12/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 BMW 3 Series Hatchback 318ti 2dr Hatchback

I bought used @ 36k, (60k now) I have had it for 4 years and not a problem. It is a small compact car and that is what you get...and a little more. Very fun and good gas mileage.

1998 318ti with Sport Suspension
By jobu on 10/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 3 Series Hatchback 318ti 2dr Hatchback

Handles and looks great. Has been very reliable except for some bizarre problems for considering the age of the car. Catalytic converter went at 50k mark and we also found out that it was loosely connected so there was constant rattling from early on which no one could diagnose. Driver's window assembly collapsed at 40k mark. Gas cap has been a problem since early on...doesn't seem to fit well after a while causing a check engine light to appear as a result of a poor vaccuum.

M3 wannabe
By kekle on 10/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 BMW 3 Series Hatchback 318ti 2dr Hatchback

This car gets no respect, but as far as I'm concerned it is the most balanced, lightest bmw out there. big hatch, can fit 2x4 studs. Great car.

Great Little Car
By Rick R on 03/01/02 00:11 AM (PST)

1998 BMW 3 Series Hatchback 318ti 2dr Hatchback

I won't bore you all with a long, drawn out review. Getting to the point, I love everything about the car except the small 1.8 liter engine.