1998 BMW 3 Series Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
210,000 miles on factory clutch and counting...
By bmwsiempre on 07/18/13 22:45 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 3 Series Coupe 323is 2dr Coupe

The BMW 323is (chassis code: E36) is a very reliable automobile with exceptional fuel-sipping properties. Naturally you'll have to replace some parts along the way, however they are not as expensive as most would have you believe. Most repairs can be done by even the most novice of home mechanics. The cooling system should be overhauled every 60-80k miles but even with OEM parts the whole task should cost the DIYer no more than $350-400 (radiator, thermostat, water pump, hoses, etc.). The engine is brilliant and I still see 27 MPG as my overall avg. As mentioned in the title, I am currently at 210,000 miles and still on the factory clutch! I will keep this car for at least another 100k.

First 90 days
By jkoopman on 11/24/11 19:54 PM (PST)

1998 BMW 3 Series Coupe 323is 2dr Coupe

I bought my '98 323is in September of '11 with 55,400 original miles. It has been about 90 days and the car has been a pure joy to drive and own. The M52 is the least powerful of the 2.5 I6 engines available but is still reasonably quick with a wonderful smooth character and a good amount of torque. The balanced feel and handling put a huge smile on my face in every corner. It is also comfortable and reasonably quiet on the highway inspite of its tight, sporty character. This car was well maintained by its previous two owners and it shows. I now understand why BMW calls their cars the "Ultimate Driving Machine".

Bloddy Mangled Wreck
By DPhill on 02/25/10 00:33 AM (PST)

1998 BMW 3 Series Coupe 323is 2dr Coupe

i always like the E36 since i was a kid so i bought one with 98,000 miles on the clock. it seemed that as soon as the odometer turned over 100,000 miles, it no longer wanted to do anything correctly. it needed fixing and the parts are expensive. i have spent $6k-$8k on this car in parts alone this past year. the check engine light always comes on; as soon as one problem is fixed another thing is wrong. i drive conservatively and i can not get more than 15mpg and it goes through back tires very quickly. the engine is very noisy and vibrates a lot. the power windows can not go up without help and the headliner is falling off. all in all: i can not wait to buy another car.

This Is A Real Car
By Japanese to German on 09/17/07 22:46 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 3 Series Coupe 323is 2dr Coupe

Whenever I think of a car for the rest of my life, it will be a BMW. I've had this car for one month and the ride is unbelievable. The tranny shifts so freaking smooth you'll think it's an autostick. Mine has 72,000 miles right now, and I swear it drives like brand new. It takes windy roads like it's on tracks, and I've already hit triple digits on the highway twice without noticing unitl I looked down at my speedometer! I think that shows that I've really been driving the heck out of this thing, and I'm still averaging around 25 miles to the gallon; over 30 when I'm on flat highway. I think Hondas and Toyotas and Nissans are great cars, but after a BMW, I'll never be able to drive one again.

Truly the Ultimate Driving Machine
By Dell Sanders on 08/03/05 15:40 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 3 Series Coupe 323is 2dr Coupe

This car had about 40,000 miles on it when I bought it under the Certified Pre-Owned program - that has turned out to be the best car-buying decision I ever made. I LOVE THIS CAR !! It now has over 104,000 miles on it - I've driven it back and forth across the entire country several times and there was never a problem. BMW really has a way of making you feel at one with the car like no other carmaker seems to be able to duplicate. Maintenance costs have been average with no expensive surprises. Everyone is amazed at how clean the engine always stays, and at how shiny the original paint still is, although I've lived both in dry desert areas and very cold climates. Again - I love this car!

Great Car
By Jeff on 06/20/05 12:16 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 3 Series Coupe 323is 2dr Coupe

This has been a great car. I have 103,000 miles and never a problem. I plan on keeping it another 100,000,

I have driven alot of cars.....
By falkonv7l on 10/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 3 Series Coupe 323is 2dr Coupe

And this one ROCKS!!! The most pleasant car I have ever driven. I have the sport pkg, constantly in contact with the road yet the suspension is not rough, the grip is amazing, the steering is on par with a Porsche! This is truly a drivers car. The chasis is as stif as the day it was built (now I have over 80k miles) Oh did I mention it is a very good looking car as well!

My favorite one yet
By Rob Towner on 09/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 3 Series Coupe 323is 2dr Coupe

A bad day at work quickly turns into a smile on your face when you drive away in this car. It has all the power you want and at your pedal no matter what speed you are at. Smooth suspension, tight steering, easy shifting, and the true meaning of the ultimate driving experience. This is the best car I have owned and would highly recommend to anyone wanting the best of all worlds.

Cant ask for much more
By brian323is on 08/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 3 Series Coupe 323is 2dr Coupe

Excellent! There are not many other words to describe this car. I am a performance driver and this car takes all that I give it and responds with a smile as it grips the road and asks me to push it harder. I have had no major problems with the car ever and it is still running strong. I have raced the car a few times and have been very happy with the results. I ran a 14.5 in the 1/4 mile and the car is bone stock. BMW really does build the ultimate driveing machine.

323IS
By C4Cabro on 06/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 3 Series Coupe 323is 2dr Coupe

This is a Great Car. Not is it just a BMW it is a Dream Car. I love driving Everyday. Just becuase i want to Drive it. i highly Recommend it.