1998 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
I will keep this car for many years.
By soltnutz on 08/17/14 09:57 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

I bought the car 2 years ago from someone who had it for 11 years and never drove it in the winter. The car is near perfect condition with a few modifications ( the previous owner liked to go fast ). M3 cam, header, M50 intake, AA chip and 3 inch exhaust, full locking diff plus new adjustable suspension. The ride plus handling is tight.

One of the Best Cars Ever Made!!!
By average_dude on 03/01/11 12:18 PM (PST)

1998 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

I have had this car a long time now, and I am still amazed at how great it feels to be in it. I love the feel of the road and the sound of the sweet audio from the premium sound system in the car. It is super quick when I need it to be. And it is great on gas. I have only changed the alternator and done the regular mantinence since it was new. The space in the back seat is a little light. But, If I were a parent of 3 kids and needed a great second car, this would be it. I think the car looks so classy and screems traditional BMW style. It is the benchmark by which I will measure all future cars. It looks especially good in Alpine White. It's one to drive before you die. Own one if you can.

1998 BMW 328i sedan manual
By Twotone on 08/26/09 14:14 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

The BMW 3 Series is the best balance of luxury, sport, comfort, fun to drive and style. No other small sedan comes close. No other front engine, manual transmission RWD sedans are currently available. I get 21 MPG around town and two road trips of 33 MPG driving 80+ MPH. Other have mentioned reliability issues. In the 4+ years I have owned it, all I have done is oil changes, brake pads and tires. This has been the most reliable car I have owned (I've had 20+ cars). It still looks and drives like a new car after 11 years and 95k miles.

1998 BMW 3 Series
By THE "G" on 05/09/08 11:30 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

Bought my Black 328i in 2000. 2nd owner it was a lease vehicle. I have been a naughty owner and have only changed the oil, rotors, brake pads, brake sensors & tires for the most part. I put TVs in the head rests, Chrome 18" rims w/z-rate tires and a kicking stereo system in addition to the HK system that included a tv in the radio as well. I've driven this car through out Germany, Belgium, Luxemburg, the Netherlands, and from coast to coast (in the US. The tint came in handy) plenty of times and never has it stranded me. I had a problem with the acceleration in auto and would have to drop down to manual but it still never starnded me and continued to out perform other vehicles.

My first bmw
By victorrrq on 04/12/06 18:37 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

The car is fantastic...when its fixed. When I first bought the car it was all right, but when the warrantee ended, I was forced to go fix the car. Cooling problems, electrical problems, I probably spent over 10g's of repairs and upgrades to the car. I love the car but the repairs for it are a...you know what. And the car is awful in winter, but that could be fixed with newer winter tires.

1st BMW but not last!
By MarkT on 05/27/05 21:55 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

1st BMW but not last! Got a great deal on a great car. Have had it over 2 years and have enjoyed every minute. Only 1 minor problem, a leaky valve, $200, and not a bump since. Best driving car, the Japanese cannot compete with the Germans! Have had Honda, Toyota, Nissan, but nothing like a BMW!!! I am about to buy my 2nd, a 5 series, since having a baby. Would recommend a 98 328 to anyone condsidering an entry Beemer...

6 years so far!
By jasbudd on 04/23/05 22:09 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1998 328i in January 1999. It had 14,000 miles on the odometer. It currently has 64,000. It has never broken down or stranded me. It is a 5 speed stick with premium package (no sport which means I can rotate the tires). The car is awsome and I am a car nut. The acceleration and handling are the tops. The HK sound system is excellent. My ave. fuel economy is 25 miles to the gallon. Yes you become one with the car, it's a BMW. I have only performed the routine scheduled maintenance since owning(the countdown lights). Nothing has broken so far. I did just replace the battery 2 weeks ago (original, it's in the trunk!). I hope to keep this car till either it or I expire!

Bavarian Cream
By Colin on 03/01/05 13:47 PM (PST)

1998 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

After years of BMW hating, my girlfriend finally convinced me to take one for a test drive. I drove an E46 325i (which I loved but did not find the price very inviting) and then my now E36 328i. Never have I experienced a car that is so connected to the driver and is able to "read" what I am doing next. For roughly $13k for a nice, low mileage example, there is simply no better car to buy than an e36 BMW. What a car! Much like an old Z, this is a car that I am kicking myself over for not discovering earlier. I bought mine from the dealership for an excellent price (With a 100k mile warranty included!) as a one owner, full history car. For those of you without one, you are truly missing out!

Fun car but watch out for maintenance
By B-Man68 on 01/06/05 14:13 PM (PST)

1998 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

A lot of fun to drive but maintenance costs are very high. When my transmission went out I learned that BMW claims the earlier 328's have a "lifetime transmission" with a "lifetime fill" of fluid and do not recommend a tranny service. I followed the recommended maintenance to a T and never had the tranny serviced. Replacing it cost me over $4k. Had I had it serviced it would not have failed when it did. BMW now recommends a tranny service on newer models but still not on the older ones. Even the fluid mfg's recommend changing the fluid. Where BMW came up with the "lifetime" claim is beyond me. I ended up getting the money I spent on the new tranny back through small claims court.

The Finest in German Engineering
By Trin->Starr on 08/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

I bought my BM used in 2002, and this car is AMAZING. There are few quirks that seem to happen with all BMWs but they are not life threatening, or highly irritating. I would definitely recommend this car to anyone. Dealership fees are a bit exorbitant, but look around where you live, you will find some that specialize in BMWs and other german cars. The internet also has a great repository of information on how to fix/repair, and troubleshoot. Most of them can be done by yourself