Used 1997 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews - 70 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Unreal
By Techie

1997 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

Used cars have been the routes I’ve taken over the last 12 years. I have been driving Saabs for a long time and I decided to make the change over this time to BMW. I've always wanted one so this was a nice car to add to my collection. I bought the car with 112,000 miles. Its been serviced accurate which makes all the difference. The car is still extremely tight inside and out, like it came off the show room floor. I've been dazzled how it grabs the curves asphalt. I highly recommend purchasing a used BMW as an alternate to a less reliable and not near as fun to drive new car of any kind. The power band is perfect. Shifting gears is a must for the full enjoyment of what this car can offer.

Body style, looks great with a spoiler. Handling, Quite interior, Display lighting color. The factory paint has lasted very well. Power to pass when you need it. Recognition by people that you have good taste in a car!

Still thinking!

Birthday present!
By D Sarge

1997 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

I received the 328I as a birthday gift. Now, for those of you married folks reading this, that translates into my wife letting me buy it:) I have had the vehicle just over a month. The dealer was so confident in the vehicle, he sold a 2 year, UNLIMITED MILEAGE warranty with it (just to be on the safe side, as I've heard horror stories as well). So far, the only thing I purchased was wheel locks and window tint. The vehicle has been incredible to drive, and that is on the 89 octane (note: later models require premium fuel). Gas mileage ranges 21-25, but that's likely due to always pushing the 5-speed. This will be the first of a few updates, as I own the vehicle. So far, 2 thumbs up!

Performance, 5-speed, sport suspension, burning mid-grade fuel (BIG +)

Movement of cup-holders - a man shouldn't have to choose between holding his big gulp and shifting gears. (Note: This was improved in later models). Also my glove compartment, while fully functional, is lopsided. CD changer in trunk takes some planning ahead.

70,000 trouble-fee miles
By crazy4blues

1997 BMW 3 Series 328is 2dr Coupe

I bought this car new 7 1/2 years ago, and have thoroughly enjoyed it. The handling is very neutral, and spirited driving is always fun--never "scary." I've never had any major issues with this car. Onramps are great fun, and I get about 28 mpg on the highway. 18 mpg City. It has started every morning and has never left me stranded. I have replaced the battery, the front brakes (rotors and pads), an AC module, and the water pump (as a precaution). While I have left it completely stock, this is a great platform for suspension upgrades and engine mods (CAI, Exhaust, Chip, etc.). I would definitely buy this car again.

Confidence-inspiring handling: I just don't think you can get "out of shape" on a dry road! Build quality is excellent. Sports package improves performance w/o compromising comfort. 500-miles trips are no problem. Accepts modifications very well: it's a "blank palette" for tuners.

Well, BMW has updated this platform twice (e46 and e90), but have they "improved" it? The '06 E90 is bigger and 400 pounds heavier and the styling is, at best, controversial. BUT, if I had to pick something, it would be touch more power. Also the OEM Conti's weren't that great.

Ya Gotta Love it!
By AtlantaGal

1997 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Convertible

I've now had this convertible BMW for 5 years and it's been a highlight of my driving days. I bought it used and still under warranty, which came in handy when the convertible straps needed replacing. I understand that happens at about 30K miles. If I had not grown up with two mechanic brothers working on Detroit vehicles, I would have had a chance to drive a BMW sooner. There is a reason why it's the Ultimate Driving Machine. Some folks may not like the fact that the control panel tells you when to do what, but it's a great help for me.

Much better gas mileage than expected. Superb handling on curves. Convertibles rule! Just a sexy looking car.

Sure a convertible doesn't muffle road noise as well, but you know if you were meant to have one. We've got two!

nightmare
By bob

1997 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

i bought this car because i thought bmw's were nice cars, mine on the other hand is a nightmare. i have spent over $2000 dollars repairing this car. i would have rather gone with something more reliable like a Toyota.

handling, fuel efficient, and exterior look

more durable interior, really crappy. engine reliability would also be nice.