Used 1997 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
Ya Gotta Love it!
By AtlantaGal

1997 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Convertible

I've now had this convertible BMW for 5 years and it's been a highlight of my driving days. I bought it used and still under warranty, which came in handy when the convertible straps needed replacing. I understand that happens at about 30K miles. If I had not grown up with two mechanic brothers working on Detroit vehicles, I would have had a chance to drive a BMW sooner. There is a reason why it's the Ultimate Driving Machine. Some folks may not like the fact that the control panel tells you when to do what, but it's a great help for me.

Favorite Features

Much better gas mileage than expected. Superb handling on curves. Convertibles rule! Just a sexy looking car.

Suggested Improvements

Sure a convertible doesn't muffle road noise as well, but you know if you were meant to have one. We've got two!

Practical BMW
By RHartounian

1997 BMW 3 Series 318i 4dr Sedan

I have always loved BMWs. This one is not any less of a BMW. It has good handling and good torque in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear. I wish it had a sixth gear. This car has a very tight gear ratio so in the 5th gear at 80 mph the engine is begging for another gear. Too bad! The glove compartment is really poor, though. Everything you place inside, it keeps rolling out. I love the E30 glove box much more. I hate the vinyl interior. BMW is probably one of the only luxury car manufacturers that still makes vinyl seats. In the summer months it's an oven in there. One common problem with this car that cannot be fixed is the climate control. Overall it's a good car.

Favorite Features

Handling. Fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Too late for that, but: the glove compartment doesn't hold anything. The initial pick up is very sluggish, but hey it's a four cylinder. The climate control turns on when you start the car even if you turned it off before stopping the engine and removing your keys. I hate vinyl, it gets hot.

3 series review
By Steve

1997 BMW 3 Series 328is 2dr Coupe

Always look forward to driving to and from work because of this vehicle. Great balance and tossability along with good power, brakes and fuel economy. A little pricey to service and may not have the reliabilty of a Honda. Makes me feel young again.

Favorite Features

Steering, suspension and handling, smooth as silk engine, great mid range torque, strong brakes, good fuel economy

Suggested Improvements

Larger seats, lumbar controls on seats, better radio and speakers.

nightmare
By bob

1997 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

i bought this car because i thought bmw's were nice cars, mine on the other hand is a nightmare. i have spent over $2000 dollars repairing this car. i would have rather gone with something more reliable like a Toyota.

Favorite Features

handling, fuel efficient, and exterior look

Suggested Improvements

more durable interior, really crappy. engine reliability would also be nice.

Be ware of your local BMW shop
By saltyswede

1997 BMW 3 Series 318is 2dr Coupe

Took my car to S.F. BMW for a 60k check up. I was told that the cost would be 650. They then took of new wiperblades and replaced them etc. alot of hidden costs. They told me that the radiator was leaking and said that it with the "plastic waterpump and thermostate housing" at a cost of 3800. I took the car to a independent shop who informed me that the production date of my car indicated that it would not have the plastic waterpump. If you need parts for your BMW try the Partsbin.com they sell OEM and after market parts. S.F. BMW OEM Radiator 385 The Partsbin OME with shiping 169 The radiators are both made by baher and are identical.

Suggested Improvements

Factory shops should not pray on the uneducated