1997 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
Highly Recommend This Car
By Juliet Brumlik on 06/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 3 Series 318is 2dr Coupe

This is my second 318is - both incredible. I now also own a 540i, and when I get back into my 318is I marvel that it does NOT seem dinky/underpowered next to the 540. I tend to drive the 3 faster, as it feels zippy and there's such a feeling of control over the vehicle. It has the sports suspension, which I adore - it really does make a difference. I have the manual transmission, and the clutch is silky and wonderful. Visibility is phenomenal. Great gas mileage, reliability and safety w/this car. By the way, this car has the best cup holders EVER. Put a soda can in and drive like Mario Andretti? No problem here.

Joy to own
By carski7 on 04/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Convertible

I've loved driving this car all year round sun, rain, and snow!! Biggest problem was ball joints every 20k mi seemed to be due to lack of rotating tires soon enough and abusive Detroit roads. Now all OK. Radio and Climate just stopped working--cert pre owned warranty was good!

This is one kicking car.
By John Sullivan on 04/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 3 Series 318i 4dr Sedan

Coming from a car history of teh 1980's this car is awesome. I have driven explorers,a nd Durango's but I love this car. 1985 BMW 524td (yes a Diesel) 1989 Volvo 240 GL Bow my 1997 E36 (318i) and I love it. Fun, zuppy, great mileage and its supposed to all be recyclable. Kudos BMW. Save the World.

Be ware of your local BMW shop
By saltyswede on 03/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 3 Series 318is 2dr Coupe

Took my car to S.F. BMW for a 60k check up. I was told that the cost would be 650. They then took of new wiperblades and replaced them etc. alot of hidden costs. They told me that the radiator was leaking and said that it with the "plastic waterpump and thermostate housing" at a cost of 3800. I took the car to a independent shop who informed me that the production date of my car indicated that it would not have the plastic waterpump. If you need parts for your BMW try the Partsbin.com they sell OEM and after market parts. S.F. BMW OEM Radiator 385 The Partsbin OME with shiping 169 The radiators are both made by baher and are identical.

Fun Drive Insane Maintenance
By cestrada on 03/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 3 Series 328is 2dr Coupe

Bought our 328i coupe certified 3 years ago with 49,500 miles on it. Within 1 year, "certified" didn't cover the frnt brakes ($495)or back brakes ($520). Rock marks on hood were covered with touch-up paint that washed away after 6 mos. It looked so bad that we replaced the hood for $350. On-board computer and Check Engine lights come on = $50 co-pay just to have it looked at. We have put about $2600 in maintenance into this car, not including oil changes. With $5000 down pmt and $300 per month payments, that is just too much money to spend for three years. Lease is up next week and we are not buying because I can't handle more maintenance costs.

Driving Fun Except The Repair Bills
By Ron E. on 02/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

We bought our 328i used with 44K miles after having it checked out by BMW shop. The driving experience is beautiful with all the power I think is necessary. The automatic is flawless in it smoothness. The engine begs to be driven. The greatest drawback to this car is the repair bills which seem to happen far too often. Parts are not cheap!!!!! Do not buy this model or brand of car unless you can get a warranty from BMW. $1500 worth of service each year is obscene, particularly in the days of Acuras, Passats and Lexus. I will miss the driving experiance, but my retirement will not, I'm afraid, allow another BMW in my life!

Ultimate Driving Machine
By gdevinney on 01/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 3 Series 328is 2dr Coupe

Love this car more than any I have EVER had. The only bad thing is I will never settle for less.

Best All Around Car
By jbarnstrow on 11/23/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 3 Series 328is 2dr Coupe

Auto Tranny, but still has plenty of power for the twisties. Carries four without the usual coupe cramp.

My bmw
By rjs5689 on 11/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 3 Series 328is 2dr Coupe

I bought my BMW used in 1999 from westchester BMW and ever since i have loved it. It has been a nlast to drive offereng exelent comfort and preformance. i have heated seats and the sport package.

My bimma
By Bimma on 10/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

Great car, couln't complain, used to have a gm....and a honda.....uncomparable!!!