1997 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
1997 BMW 328i
By bmsiii on 02/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

Read below for a brief summary.

Just can't get enough of it!
By BMW Boy on 02/08/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 3 Series 328is 2dr Coupe

Love this car! I did research for months and compared it to many other cars that are 'similar'. This one took the cake, and I test drove tons of other cars. Make sure you get the sports package and Harmon Kardon Sound. I've done a few engine modifications for more horses, and now I've beat plenty of Mustang GT's and others like it!

Bmw analysis after a year
By BMWExpert on 11/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

The handling of the 3 series is superb to say the least! When driving the car you feel every inch of the road! It's fantastically responsive and has great pickup and torque/horse ratio. However; parts are very expensive and will put a dent in your wallet. It's not the mechanical parts that go; it's the very unreliable electrical ones. Unfortunately, BMW's more current cars are overloaded with un-needed and extremely flimsy and unreliable, electronic components. To further dismay, most of these components are incredibly expensive to repair/replace and will put a dent in your wallet.

How Soon Is Now?
By Moz1Fan on 11/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 3 Series 318is 2dr Coupe

Though it is used, it is the best car I've ever driven. Just had it fully serviced, and to no surprise it has NO problems.It's never too late to drive "The Ultimate Driving Machine". Morrissey drives one of these, what else can I say.

1997 328i Sedan
By camenta on 11/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

I have already run over 1,500 miles on this car and it has been everything I wxpected it to be. Used to have a 1991 318i and liked everything about that. This is that and more. The car pulls hard off the line and can still turn it on in 5th gear. I don't like that I have to hunt a factory CD player down (fits using a Z3 factory unit)and the cost of the CD is very high. With that said, nothing else to complain about. Smooth, fun and full of style. A must have for the driving fan.

Better than all the vette's I have had
By New BMW Fan on 11/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Convertible

This car handles better than any car I have previously owned, including several corvettes. The car is quick, light, solid, and hugs the curves like no other car. The car has a classy look and feel while providing exceptional performance and fuel economy. This car makes me yearn for the next level BMW convert('04 M3). If this 7-year old car drives this well, I can't imagine what the latest M-3 model can do.

A hoot
By Dave Berlin on 10/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Convertible

I've enjoyed this car for 6 years. Sold a vintage jaguar, too much trouble. This car is really fun to drive and still has absolutely nothing wrong with it. (yes, we baby it a little). I look at it as a sports car that's practical. The back seat is tight but comfortable and combined with the trunk there is lots of luggage space compared to a real 2 seater. While four seats may not sound like a sports car, it doesn't matter since it looks like one and still to this day the car turns heads. 30 mpg ain't bad either.

My Dream Come True
By AndyMan on 08/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

Ever since I read the rave reviews of Car and Driver and Motor Trend, I made up my mind that the BMW 3 series was my car. I finally got a '97 328i and I absolutly love it. I havn't had it long, but so far it's been the most enjoyable car I have ever been in. The engine delivers the torque low and immediate, but the horsepower continues all the way to the red-line. The five speed sport transmission throws are a little long, but the overall smoothness of the entire package make up for it. From both performance and comfort standpoints, this car is by my favorite of any I have ever driven.

silver bullet
By shadowraven on 07/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

Great car an a blast to drive, great on gas as opposed to my dakota pickup, I get 30mpg. Electronics are very poor, check engine light, abs light alway go on, climate goes off. $261 for new one. Tip: join BMWCCA the parts discounts are worth the fee of $35 a year

Truly The Ultimate Driving Machine
By G Man on 07/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

This is an excellent overall car. The cargo capacity is excellent, while the car is well balanced and handles like a dream. Mine is equipped with the sport package, which is a must have, as well as a 5-speed manual transmission. While repairs can be costly, most are relativly simple and can be done in your own garage at a huge savings. For example, I did my own plugs for 30 bucks, and it took abut an hour.