Used 1997 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Bmw 3-series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Never want to give it up!
By Fran

1997 BMW 3 Series 318ti 2dr Hatchback

I love my baby beemer! Would not want to drive anything but a BMW since owning this car.

Favorite Features

My California roof, heated seats and on board computer to check the gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Hood paint seems to chip very easily.

Birthday present update!
By Dsarge

1997 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

A year since my last review. Have put 16,000 miles on the vehicle. During that time, I had to have the AC condenser replaced (did not lose AC, but discovered during a service). Additionally, rear bushings went out (dealer initially thought the shocks were bad; spent $300 and did not correct the problem:(. Although these were not covered by the warranty I purchased (see earlier review), it has been a very satisfying auto! I upgraded the tires to Michelin Pilot A/S (MAJOR difference on traction and control), and recently added a stabilizer bar (AA Tuning). Considering getting a 2001 330i, but the potential problems are a turn-off. Can live with the older body for the reliability factor!

Favorite Features

Performance, 5-speed, Harmon Kardon sound system, CD changer, heated seats, mid-grade fuel, engine reliability, SPORT SUSPENSION!

Suggested Improvements

Still would prefer if the 1997 model offered cupholders in front of the armrest (corrected in later models). Also, changes to the seat design (will cut through the leather over time (also corrected).

BMW 328ic, a very well made car
By Al

1997 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Convertible

I bought my 328iC back in April '03. It was still fresh looking and amazing to drive given the fact that it had 50K miles on it already. I thought I'd keep it for 3 years and just move onto another car, but I love this car! I'm going to keep it for quite some time further, repairs have been non existant other than a waterpump and fan blade. I'm nearing 100K miles so its time to replace some bushings, other than that it's a solid reliable ride.

Favorite Features

The exterior appearance, very classy. Clear and easy to read gauges. Comfortable seats. Center mounted window controls.

Suggested Improvements

Dashboard design is somewhat spartan. Design on glovebox is such that the door looks droopy even when it's closed tight.

3 series review
By Steve

1997 BMW 3 Series 328is 2dr Coupe

Always look forward to driving to and from work because of this vehicle. Great balance and tossability along with good power, brakes and fuel economy. A little pricey to service and may not have the reliabilty of a Honda. Makes me feel young again.

Favorite Features

Steering, suspension and handling, smooth as silk engine, great mid range torque, strong brakes, good fuel economy

Suggested Improvements

Larger seats, lumbar controls on seats, better radio and speakers.

Unreal
By Techie

1997 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

Used cars have been the routes Iíve taken over the last 12 years. I have been driving Saabs for a long time and I decided to make the change over this time to BMW. I've always wanted one so this was a nice car to add to my collection. I bought the car with 112,000 miles. Its been serviced accurate which makes all the difference. The car is still extremely tight inside and out, like it came off the show room floor. I've been dazzled how it grabs the curves asphalt. I highly recommend purchasing a used BMW as an alternate to a less reliable and not near as fun to drive new car of any kind. The power band is perfect. Shifting gears is a must for the full enjoyment of what this car can offer.

Favorite Features

Body style, looks great with a spoiler. Handling, Quite interior, Display lighting color. The factory paint has lasted very well. Power to pass when you need it. Recognition by people that you have good taste in a car!

Suggested Improvements

Still thinking!