1997 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
Never want to give it up!
By Fran on 04/19/06 17:03 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW 3 Series 318ti 2dr Hatchback

I love my baby beemer! Would not want to drive anything but a BMW since owning this car.

Birthday present update!
By Dsarge on 04/04/06 11:04 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

A year since my last review. Have put 16,000 miles on the vehicle. During that time, I had to have the AC condenser replaced (did not lose AC, but discovered during a service). Additionally, rear bushings went out (dealer initially thought the shocks were bad; spent $300 and did not correct the problem:(. Although these were not covered by the warranty I purchased (see earlier review), it has been a very satisfying auto! I upgraded the tires to Michelin Pilot A/S (MAJOR difference on traction and control), and recently added a stabilizer bar (AA Tuning). Considering getting a 2001 330i, but the potential problems are a turn-off. Can live with the older body for the reliability factor!

BMW 328ic, a very well made car
By Al on 03/16/06 11:56 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Convertible

I bought my 328iC back in April '03. It was still fresh looking and amazing to drive given the fact that it had 50K miles on it already. I thought I'd keep it for 3 years and just move onto another car, but I love this car! I'm going to keep it for quite some time further, repairs have been non existant other than a waterpump and fan blade. I'm nearing 100K miles so its time to replace some bushings, other than that it's a solid reliable ride.

3 series review
By Steve on 10/05/05 16:00 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW 3 Series 328is 2dr Coupe

Always look forward to driving to and from work because of this vehicle. Great balance and tossability along with good power, brakes and fuel economy. A little pricey to service and may not have the reliabilty of a Honda. Makes me feel young again.

Unreal
By Techie on 07/21/05 20:41 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

Used cars have been the routes I’ve taken over the last 12 years. I have been driving Saabs for a long time and I decided to make the change over this time to BMW. I've always wanted one so this was a nice car to add to my collection. I bought the car with 112,000 miles. Its been serviced accurate which makes all the difference. The car is still extremely tight inside and out, like it came off the show room floor. I've been dazzled how it grabs the curves asphalt. I highly recommend purchasing a used BMW as an alternate to a less reliable and not near as fun to drive new car of any kind. The power band is perfect. Shifting gears is a must for the full enjoyment of what this car can offer.

Birthday present!
By D Sarge on 04/28/05 15:29 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

I received the 328I as a birthday gift. Now, for those of you married folks reading this, that translates into my wife letting me buy it:) I have had the vehicle just over a month. The dealer was so confident in the vehicle, he sold a 2 year, UNLIMITED MILEAGE warranty with it (just to be on the safe side, as I've heard horror stories as well). So far, the only thing I purchased was wheel locks and window tint. The vehicle has been incredible to drive, and that is on the 89 octane (note: later models require premium fuel). Gas mileage ranges 21-25, but that's likely due to always pushing the 5-speed. This will be the first of a few updates, as I own the vehicle. So far, 2 thumbs up!

70,000 trouble-fee miles
By crazy4blues on 02/26/05 23:26 PM (PST)

1997 BMW 3 Series 328is 2dr Coupe

I bought this car new 7 1/2 years ago, and have thoroughly enjoyed it. The handling is very neutral, and spirited driving is always fun--never "scary." I've never had any major issues with this car. Onramps are great fun, and I get about 28 mpg on the highway. 18 mpg City. It has started every morning and has never left me stranded. I have replaced the battery, the front brakes (rotors and pads), an AC module, and the water pump (as a precaution). While I have left it completely stock, this is a great platform for suspension upgrades and engine mods (CAI, Exhaust, Chip, etc.). I would definitely buy this car again.

Ya Gotta Love it!
By AtlantaGal on 12/15/04 16:12 PM (PST)

1997 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Convertible

I've now had this convertible BMW for 5 years and it's been a highlight of my driving days. I bought it used and still under warranty, which came in handy when the convertible straps needed replacing. I understand that happens at about 30K miles. If I had not grown up with two mechanic brothers working on Detroit vehicles, I would have had a chance to drive a BMW sooner. There is a reason why it's the Ultimate Driving Machine. Some folks may not like the fact that the control panel tells you when to do what, but it's a great help for me.

nightmare
By bob on 12/02/04 21:45 PM (PST)

1997 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

i bought this car because i thought bmw's were nice cars, mine on the other hand is a nightmare. i have spent over $2000 dollars repairing this car. i would have rather gone with something more reliable like a Toyota.

After a year and 14,000 miles...
By ChuckA on 10/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

I reviewed this car a year ago, since then, I have put 14,000 miles on. The car is still a blast to drive and handles like a dream. I have put a K&N filter and the M3 cat back and fuel economy is great. I average 27 MPG. The car has 76,000 and still gets 27MPG. It is fast and comfortable in all driving situations. Add 17" wheels and tires to firm up the ride and cornering. I can only say that if you are looking for a good buy for a good car, the 328 is the answer. A great looking sedan that thinks it is a coupe.