Used 1997 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Practical BMW
By RHartounian

1997 BMW 3 Series Sedan 318i 4dr Sedan

I have always loved BMWs. This one is not any less of a BMW. It has good handling and good torque in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear. I wish it had a sixth gear. This car has a very tight gear ratio so in the 5th gear at 80 mph the engine is begging for another gear. Too bad! The glove compartment is really poor, though. Everything you place inside, it keeps rolling out. I love the E30 glove box much more. I hate the vinyl interior. BMW is probably one of the only luxury car manufacturers that still makes vinyl seats. In the summer months it's an oven in there. One common problem with this car that cannot be fixed is the climate control. Overall it's a good car.

Favorite Features

Handling. Fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Too late for that, but: the glove compartment doesn't hold anything. The initial pick up is very sluggish, but hey it's a four cylinder. The climate control turns on when you start the car even if you turned it off before stopping the engine and removing your keys. I hate vinyl, it gets hot.

Birthday present update!
By Dsarge

1997 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

A year since my last review. Have put 16,000 miles on the vehicle. During that time, I had to have the AC condenser replaced (did not lose AC, but discovered during a service). Additionally, rear bushings went out (dealer initially thought the shocks were bad; spent $300 and did not correct the problem:(. Although these were not covered by the warranty I purchased (see earlier review), it has been a very satisfying auto! I upgraded the tires to Michelin Pilot A/S (MAJOR difference on traction and control), and recently added a stabilizer bar (AA Tuning). Considering getting a 2001 330i, but the potential problems are a turn-off. Can live with the older body for the reliability factor!

Favorite Features

Performance, 5-speed, Harmon Kardon sound system, CD changer, heated seats, mid-grade fuel, engine reliability, SPORT SUSPENSION!

Suggested Improvements

Still would prefer if the 1997 model offered cupholders in front of the armrest (corrected in later models). Also, changes to the seat design (will cut through the leather over time (also corrected).

Unreal
By Techie

1997 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

Used cars have been the routes Iíve taken over the last 12 years. I have been driving Saabs for a long time and I decided to make the change over this time to BMW. I've always wanted one so this was a nice car to add to my collection. I bought the car with 112,000 miles. Its been serviced accurate which makes all the difference. The car is still extremely tight inside and out, like it came off the show room floor. I've been dazzled how it grabs the curves asphalt. I highly recommend purchasing a used BMW as an alternate to a less reliable and not near as fun to drive new car of any kind. The power band is perfect. Shifting gears is a must for the full enjoyment of what this car can offer.

Favorite Features

Body style, looks great with a spoiler. Handling, Quite interior, Display lighting color. The factory paint has lasted very well. Power to pass when you need it. Recognition by people that you have good taste in a car!

Suggested Improvements

Still thinking!

Birthday present!
By D Sarge

1997 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

I received the 328I as a birthday gift. Now, for those of you married folks reading this, that translates into my wife letting me buy it:) I have had the vehicle just over a month. The dealer was so confident in the vehicle, he sold a 2 year, UNLIMITED MILEAGE warranty with it (just to be on the safe side, as I've heard horror stories as well). So far, the only thing I purchased was wheel locks and window tint. The vehicle has been incredible to drive, and that is on the 89 octane (note: later models require premium fuel). Gas mileage ranges 21-25, but that's likely due to always pushing the 5-speed. This will be the first of a few updates, as I own the vehicle. So far, 2 thumbs up!

Favorite Features

Performance, 5-speed, sport suspension, burning mid-grade fuel (BIG +)

Suggested Improvements

Movement of cup-holders - a man shouldn't have to choose between holding his big gulp and shifting gears. (Note: This was improved in later models). Also my glove compartment, while fully functional, is lopsided. CD changer in trunk takes some planning ahead.

nightmare
By bob

1997 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

i bought this car because i thought bmw's were nice cars, mine on the other hand is a nightmare. i have spent over $2000 dollars repairing this car. i would have rather gone with something more reliable like a Toyota.

Favorite Features

handling, fuel efficient, and exterior look

Suggested Improvements

more durable interior, really crappy. engine reliability would also be nice.