1997 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
Santa got it right
By xmsbmw on 01/14/09 20:13 PM (PST)

1997 BMW 3 Series 318i 2dr Convertible

Santa brought a 1997 red BMW 5 speed convertible to our house on Christmas morning in 2006. My wife absolutely loves this car. We took a ride along the southern half of the Blue Ridge Parkway this summer with the top down and it was an incredible trip. We have had (knock on wood) no problems and no repairs since the day we got it. All we have done in two years is change the oil. Some day the top will need to be replaced but we knew that when we got it. I compare this to a 1986 Buick "T" type I bought new that was suppose to be GM's answer to the BMW. I spent $16K on the Buick, had it 9 years and put over $17K of my own money in repairs. I now know, if you want a BMW, then buy a BMW!

Through the painful part
By Bimconvert on 12/23/08 12:58 PM (PST)

1997 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Convertible

Today, I love this car. Never felt like this before; she handles so tight, races at every light. That is, after $3k in repairs; had to get new body electronics module, A/C heater module, struts, balljoints, bushings, power steering hoses and still need to get aux fan and new top. Too much for the 85000 miles it has seen. In hindsight not the brightest purchase I ever made, but now that the painful part is over, this is the most fun I've ever had on four wheels. At least while driving.

The car is older and the driver is wiser
By Laura on 12/07/08 13:48 PM (PST)

1997 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

I love my 328i, but it costs, financially and physically, to maintain it! So far I have had to replace the radiator, radiator fluid tank, fuel pump, drive and ac belts, wiper motor, and thermostat (and I am only the second owner!). My dad, who loves to and can fix anything, HATES working on my car, but he does it reluctantly. It's too low to the ground to fit a normal jack under it, you need odd-sized tools, and the lay out under the hood is way to complicated. But I guess thats the price you pay for a lasting vehicle.

Still competes with current sport sedans
By Jonathan on 08/05/08 06:12 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

I come from a Honda family, owning an unkillable (and I tried) Accord before the BMW, and so my standards for how a car should be built were set a little high. Most people "warned" me about buying a used european car claiming I'll be on the side of the road or with a monstrous repair bill in no time, but my BMW is still running strong. However, if you want this car and have low maintenance costs, be prepared to do a little work yourself. Labor is where shops will overcharge BMW owners and so doing basic jobs like brake pads or changing the oil will save you a ton of money if you do it yourself. Take care of it and it'll last longer than most cars on the road.

Fantastic car
By slk328ic on 02/07/08 22:29 PM (PST)

1997 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Convertible

I purchased my 97 328iC from a PP (1 owner w/ all records) w/ 70K miles. In first year, had to replace front pads and rotors, light bulb under clock and radiator, hoses, thermos and housing. Replaced coolant related parts (water pump was aluminum and ok). I upgraded the stock wheels to 18". Car is Alpine White w/ Ash Grey leather. BEAUTIFUL car that turns heads EVERY DAY! Performance is great for an automatic!

BMW fans unite
By Constant Car Shopper on 08/12/07 03:29 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 3 Series 328is 2dr Coupe

Even before I got my driver's license I wondered why people payed a premium for BMWs. I openly criticized, but secretly wanted one. Now that I own one there is no doubt that the BMW 3 series is a car driver's dream. I test drove my current vehicle almost as a lark and wound up buying it on the spot. Much like other reviewers this car makes me glad to get up everyday to drive this car to work. So far the maintenance on this vehicle has been no more than other cars I have owned. I bought this car with almost 100,000 miles on it and would love to put 100,000 more on it.

Dream car
By kayandbert on 06/22/07 18:49 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW 3 Series 318is 2dr Coupe

I waited a long time to own the car of my dreams. Still looks great sitting in my garage. I still get compliments on the car. Very reliable transportation whether to work or traveling the interstate to visit my granddaughters.

BMW for life
By bmwdan22 on 05/15/07 01:56 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Convertible

This car has been amazing for the entire time I have owned it. The only major problem I have had with it is that the top stopped working after being jammed. It has lasted over 170,000 miles and still drives better than most cars on the road. I will only own a BMW.

Great Drivers Car
By drpctp on 01/25/07 18:19 PM (PST)

1997 BMW 3 Series 328is 2dr Coupe

This car is awesome, there is a high attention to detail and once you gun the gas, this car begs to be driven hard. No wonder it's the ultimate driving machine.

Practical BMW
By RHartounian on 09/12/06 14:38 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW 3 Series 318i 4dr Sedan

I have always loved BMWs. This one is not any less of a BMW. It has good handling and good torque in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear. I wish it had a sixth gear. This car has a very tight gear ratio so in the 5th gear at 80 mph the engine is begging for another gear. Too bad! The glove compartment is really poor, though. Everything you place inside, it keeps rolling out. I love the E30 glove box much more. I hate the vinyl interior. BMW is probably one of the only luxury car manufacturers that still makes vinyl seats. In the summer months it's an oven in there. One common problem with this car that cannot be fixed is the climate control. Overall it's a good car.