1997 BMW 3 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
First car
By whippersnapped on 06/19/11 00:25 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

This is the first car I have ever owned, although I have driven many others. In my opinion, this is as close to a perfect car as there is (which is why I bought it. A logical progression, really). I got an excellent example of the model for 4 grand, and have since put less than a thousand into it over 8,000 miles. It is just bulletproof. I have never pushed the revs to the red because the car simply doesn't need it to do whatever you need. The interior is comfortable but you can tell it was a secondary concern after performance. The car has it where it counts, and that is what matters to me.

I'm never selling this car!
By Ken on 11/16/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

Well, I purchased this 1997 328i in 1999 as a dealer leftover that had been sitting on the lot for a very long time. I got a heck of a deal on it. I have driven it on and off for the past 11 years and when I'm not using the car, it's garaged. The black paint shines like the day I got it. The interior shows almost no signs of wear aside from the drivers floor mat. No cracking of the leather, etc. I have had NO MECHANICAL PROBLEMS whatsoever with the car in the 70,000 miles I've owned it. Aside from regular scheduled maintenance, I've replaced the brake pads and tires once and that's it. This car has proven to be the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. I will never sell this car.

Incomparable car for its time
By Johnny in NY on 06/30/09 21:49 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

The 1997 328i was my first German car and well, they've made a convert of me. My experience with this car, despite its age was extraordinary. The handling was like nothing I had experienced until then, even surpassing cars 10 years younger. Mechanically, I never once had a problem with anything, save a brake replacement, but that was due to my driving more than anything else. My praises for this car are too many to list, but it does come with a few warnings. 1. The car is very reliable, but expensive to maintain and repair. 2. The cup holders are useless. 3. The car handles very poorly in snow and ice, as is to be expected from any RWD car. Do not be mistaken though, the BMW is amazing.

The car is older and the driver is wiser
By Laura on 12/07/08 13:48 PM (PST)

1997 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

I love my 328i, but it costs, financially and physically, to maintain it! So far I have had to replace the radiator, radiator fluid tank, fuel pump, drive and ac belts, wiper motor, and thermostat (and I am only the second owner!). My dad, who loves to and can fix anything, HATES working on my car, but he does it reluctantly. It's too low to the ground to fit a normal jack under it, you need odd-sized tools, and the lay out under the hood is way to complicated. But I guess thats the price you pay for a lasting vehicle.

Still competes with current sport sedans
By Jonathan on 08/05/08 06:12 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

I come from a Honda family, owning an unkillable (and I tried) Accord before the BMW, and so my standards for how a car should be built were set a little high. Most people "warned" me about buying a used european car claiming I'll be on the side of the road or with a monstrous repair bill in no time, but my BMW is still running strong. However, if you want this car and have low maintenance costs, be prepared to do a little work yourself. Labor is where shops will overcharge BMW owners and so doing basic jobs like brake pads or changing the oil will save you a ton of money if you do it yourself. Take care of it and it'll last longer than most cars on the road.

Birthday present update!
By Dsarge on 04/04/06 11:04 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

A year since my last review. Have put 16,000 miles on the vehicle. During that time, I had to have the AC condenser replaced (did not lose AC, but discovered during a service). Additionally, rear bushings went out (dealer initially thought the shocks were bad; spent $300 and did not correct the problem:(. Although these were not covered by the warranty I purchased (see earlier review), it has been a very satisfying auto! I upgraded the tires to Michelin Pilot A/S (MAJOR difference on traction and control), and recently added a stabilizer bar (AA Tuning). Considering getting a 2001 330i, but the potential problems are a turn-off. Can live with the older body for the reliability factor!

Unreal
By Techie on 07/21/05 20:41 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

Used cars have been the routes I’ve taken over the last 12 years. I have been driving Saabs for a long time and I decided to make the change over this time to BMW. I've always wanted one so this was a nice car to add to my collection. I bought the car with 112,000 miles. Its been serviced accurate which makes all the difference. The car is still extremely tight inside and out, like it came off the show room floor. I've been dazzled how it grabs the curves asphalt. I highly recommend purchasing a used BMW as an alternate to a less reliable and not near as fun to drive new car of any kind. The power band is perfect. Shifting gears is a must for the full enjoyment of what this car can offer.

Birthday present!
By D Sarge on 04/28/05 15:29 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

I received the 328I as a birthday gift. Now, for those of you married folks reading this, that translates into my wife letting me buy it:) I have had the vehicle just over a month. The dealer was so confident in the vehicle, he sold a 2 year, UNLIMITED MILEAGE warranty with it (just to be on the safe side, as I've heard horror stories as well). So far, the only thing I purchased was wheel locks and window tint. The vehicle has been incredible to drive, and that is on the 89 octane (note: later models require premium fuel). Gas mileage ranges 21-25, but that's likely due to always pushing the 5-speed. This will be the first of a few updates, as I own the vehicle. So far, 2 thumbs up!

nightmare
By bob on 12/02/04 21:45 PM (PST)

1997 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

i bought this car because i thought bmw's were nice cars, mine on the other hand is a nightmare. i have spent over $2000 dollars repairing this car. i would have rather gone with something more reliable like a Toyota.

After a year and 14,000 miles...
By ChuckA on 10/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

I reviewed this car a year ago, since then, I have put 14,000 miles on. The car is still a blast to drive and handles like a dream. I have put a K&N filter and the M3 cat back and fuel economy is great. I average 27 MPG. The car has 76,000 and still gets 27MPG. It is fast and comfortable in all driving situations. Add 17" wheels and tires to firm up the ride and cornering. I can only say that if you are looking for a good buy for a good car, the 328 is the answer. A great looking sedan that thinks it is a coupe.