Used 1997 BMW 3 Series 318is Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 BMW 3 Series Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

A lot of car for the money
By fritz

1997 BMW 3 Series Coupe 318is 2dr Coupe

I own a 1997 BMW 318iS, it's almost identical to an M3 other than the engine which is the reliable M44 4 cyl. A solid car that is nimble and gets 38mpg highway, 24mpg in town, an average of about 30-32mpg. The S version has a lower M3 like sport suspension, wider stance, and mine was ordered with M3 rims which perfectly suit the car without being gawdy. Regular maintenance will give you a reliable smooth ride. Torquey engine redlines quickly with moderate gas but shifter seems longwinded compared to a 1980's Manual. Nice interior, mine has heated seats that warm up quickly in two modes. Multiple cabin vents. May be small for a larger person. I'm 6' tall and fit nicely. Very fun to drive.

Heated seats, sports suspension, smooth shifts, torquey engine and drivetrain. Zippy car in town or on the highway. Smooth rider for a smaller car. Easy to work on. Maintenance is vital for reliable fun ownership. Don't wait for it to break on a BMW, and have it done right if you don't know how. :)

Small trunk even the rearend seems big for the rest of the car.

Dream car
By kayandbert

1997 BMW 3 Series Coupe 318is 2dr Coupe

I waited a long time to own the car of my dreams. Still looks great sitting in my garage. I still get compliments on the car. Very reliable transportation whether to work or traveling the interstate to visit my granddaughters.

Heated seats and the body style.

Placing the coffee cup holder in a more convenient place.

Perfect car for teen
By templau

1997 BMW 3 Series Coupe 318is 2dr Coupe

The 318is does not have the power of other BMW's, but it has the handling, braking, looks, and feel all BMW's have. I bought it used because the price was good and the miles were low (46,000). At first, I was concerned that maintenance would be high as it typically is for BMW's. However, I use an independent mechanic who has serviced my cars for 13 years, and this car has been a dream. The small engine, manual trans and good handling are a great combination for a new teen driver while also providing some style and "cool". What I didn't expect was how much fun it would be or that my wife and I would fight with our teen over who gets to drive it.

Handling, brakes, comfort, low cost to operate and maintain, reliable drive train.

Trim doesn't hold up as well as it does on some other cars.

Fantastic Car
By Indyrob

1997 BMW 3 Series Coupe 318is 2dr Coupe

Bought this car used...Awesome handling, good gas mileage, quiet, excellent pick-up in 5th.

Body style, handling, zip on the freeway

Stock sound system

1997 bmw 328is
By kyle a

1997 BMW 3 Series Coupe 318is 2dr Coupe

Love the car, have lots of fun with it.

Computer trip