Used 1997 BMW 3 Series 328is Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Bmw 3-series - Consumer Reviews

1997 BMW 3 Series Coupe

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

I was in shock up until writing this Review
By merc272

1997 BMW 3 Series Coupe 328is 2dr Coupe

The one word that pops to mind when i think of this car is "timeless". Its like a well maintained Italian suit, aged with beauty, but always stylish. The throttle response is a little iffy because the pedal seems to have a lengthy discussion with the engine and drive train before kicking me back in the seat. (that's what you get when you let the french design a transmission) never the less I'm never afraid to push it just a little bit more, and hit a blistering speed of 115mph on the highway before backing off the throttle. I was floored, grinning ear to ear like a little kid who had just gotten his first 22. rifle for Christmas. This is truly what a proper sports car should be.

Favorite Features

The speed is one of the outstanding features on this build, however it take a while to engage so be patient. Interior is very well crafted and well thought out "with a few exceptions" (see below) the premium radio and subs are very impressive for how old the car is. the grip factor and very little roll due to the sport suspension.

Suggested Improvements

how can the country that built the panzer tank have forgotten how to make cup holders work? the only other complaint I have is the Anti Theft system witch seems to lock out owners more than it does deter thieves.

Hidden Costs Of BMW Ownership
By ACF

1997 BMW 3 Series Coupe 328is 2dr Coupe

Look, the BMW 3 series is as about a pleasurable ride in a daily driver you can possibly get. Great road feel, great acceleration, great looks, & in the MT a superior shifting experience. However, be prepared to pay high maintenance costs, especially beyond 75k miles. I bought my '97 with 49k miles. It now has 99k, & I have put out around $7k in maintenance since. Clutch is $900, alternator is $450, ball joints are $500, water pump $400, tires (sport) $700 & brakes $300 done every other year. It has some quirky things too. LED displays (radio & odm) go dim/out, radiator necks break, coolant lever sensors go bad, paint chips/rusts way to easy. All in all a great ride, but you're gonna pay.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, Handling, Manual transmission, Exterior styling, Attractive engine compartment, BMW name.

Suggested Improvements

Cooling system/water pump, Paint/undercoating, Electronics reliability.

BMW fans unite
By Constant Car Shopper

1997 BMW 3 Series Coupe 328is 2dr Coupe

Even before I got my driver's license I wondered why people payed a premium for BMWs. I openly criticized, but secretly wanted one. Now that I own one there is no doubt that the BMW 3 series is a car driver's dream. I test drove my current vehicle almost as a lark and wound up buying it on the spot. Much like other reviewers this car makes me glad to get up everyday to drive this car to work. So far the maintenance on this vehicle has been no more than other cars I have owned. I bought this car with almost 100,000 miles on it and would love to put 100,000 more on it.

Favorite Features

Performance, quality, and timeless appearance.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality on the plastic interior components. Better cupholders.

Great Drivers Car
By drpctp

1997 BMW 3 Series Coupe 328is 2dr Coupe

This car is awesome, there is a high attention to detail and once you gun the gas, this car begs to be driven hard. No wonder it's the ultimate driving machine.

Favorite Features

Handling is what this car does best, and acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

More power, standard LSD and better interior quality.

3 series review
By Steve

1997 BMW 3 Series Coupe 328is 2dr Coupe

Always look forward to driving to and from work because of this vehicle. Great balance and tossability along with good power, brakes and fuel economy. A little pricey to service and may not have the reliabilty of a Honda. Makes me feel young again.

Favorite Features

Steering, suspension and handling, smooth as silk engine, great mid range torque, strong brakes, good fuel economy

Suggested Improvements

Larger seats, lumbar controls on seats, better radio and speakers.