1997 BMW 3 Series Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
I'll own this car forever
By drandy on 01/02/14 18:53 PM (PST)

1997 BMW 3 Series Convertible 328i 2dr Convertible

I bought my 328 convertible in '99 with 11k miles, loved it for 10 years, sold it to a needy college kid for two years, and bought it back 18 months ago. With 125k miles on it, the car is still a delight to drive. Soft top is still in good shape, mechanicals are still rock solid, drive is a delight. I use a local German car specialty shop that is much less expensive than a dealership, so brakes, hoses, etc., aren't as expensive as they might be. With classic good looks and wonderful driving behavior, this car typifies, "the Ultimate Driving Machine" - I'm a BMW-owner for life. If you need to choose between a newer non-beemer or an older beemer, go with the beemer. You won't regret it!

Ageless
By neils1 on 10/02/11 13:31 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW 3 Series Convertible 328i 2dr Convertible

Though now nearly 15y ears old,it has features that most new cars still don't have. Handling is very good, takes corners at 30 mph though not recommeneded for safety reasons. 0-60 in under 7 seconds, still good by even today's standards, very good in the late 90s. Steering is well balanced, not heavy oe too light. My 04 Infinity feels like a tank in comparison sterring wise. Car feels very solid, though it moves athletically. Everything is expensive to repair, but the engine itself is very solid-no oil leaks, shakes, overheating, stalling in the 3 years I have had it (purchased at 100k miles).

My baby
By baby on 11/23/09 12:11 PM (PST)

1997 BMW 3 Series Convertible 328i 2dr Convertible

I purchased this car with 60K on it whom ever owned it prior to myself didn't take as good of care as I do. If it rains it stays in the garage. I need a new top and the driver's door panel, but with danian suspension and cold air induction this car makes 31.6mpg it is a standard shift and I cannot say enough about it. Needs a new top and secondary air cooler but still an awesome baby handles great and turns heads. It has a spoiler on the rear black with black top tan interior. I have worked hard on the paint and it looks very good these days. I am in love!

It's a Keeper!
By Robert on 08/11/09 11:14 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 3 Series Convertible 328i 2dr Convertible

I am the second owner of this car. It had 35250 miles when I bought it and now 2 1/2 years later I've only put 2000 miles on it. It was special ordered with the Dakar Yellow that was only available in the M series that year. So...to me it's pretty rare. I keep it covered in the garage and rarely drive it. It always turns heads whenever I take it out. Most of the ones like this are beat. I plan on having it forever. I love this car!

Santa got it right
By xmsbmw on 01/14/09 20:13 PM (PST)

1997 BMW 3 Series Convertible 318i 2dr Convertible

Santa brought a 1997 red BMW 5 speed convertible to our house on Christmas morning in 2006. My wife absolutely loves this car. We took a ride along the southern half of the Blue Ridge Parkway this summer with the top down and it was an incredible trip. We have had (knock on wood) no problems and no repairs since the day we got it. All we have done in two years is change the oil. Some day the top will need to be replaced but we knew that when we got it. I compare this to a 1986 Buick "T" type I bought new that was suppose to be GM's answer to the BMW. I spent $16K on the Buick, had it 9 years and put over $17K of my own money in repairs. I now know, if you want a BMW, then buy a BMW!

Through the painful part
By Bimconvert on 12/23/08 12:58 PM (PST)

1997 BMW 3 Series Convertible 328i 2dr Convertible

Today, I love this car. Never felt like this before; she handles so tight, races at every light. That is, after $3k in repairs; had to get new body electronics module, A/C heater module, struts, balljoints, bushings, power steering hoses and still need to get aux fan and new top. Too much for the 85000 miles it has seen. In hindsight not the brightest purchase I ever made, but now that the painful part is over, this is the most fun I've ever had on four wheels. At least while driving.

Fantastic car
By slk328ic on 02/07/08 22:29 PM (PST)

1997 BMW 3 Series Convertible 328i 2dr Convertible

I purchased my 97 328iC from a PP (1 owner w/ all records) w/ 70K miles. In first year, had to replace front pads and rotors, light bulb under clock and radiator, hoses, thermos and housing. Replaced coolant related parts (water pump was aluminum and ok). I upgraded the stock wheels to 18". Car is Alpine White w/ Ash Grey leather. BEAUTIFUL car that turns heads EVERY DAY! Performance is great for an automatic!

BMW for life
By bmwdan22 on 05/15/07 01:56 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 3 Series Convertible 328i 2dr Convertible

This car has been amazing for the entire time I have owned it. The only major problem I have had with it is that the top stopped working after being jammed. It has lasted over 170,000 miles and still drives better than most cars on the road. I will only own a BMW.

BMW 328ic, a very well made car
By Al on 03/16/06 11:56 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 3 Series Convertible 328i 2dr Convertible

I bought my 328iC back in April '03. It was still fresh looking and amazing to drive given the fact that it had 50K miles on it already. I thought I'd keep it for 3 years and just move onto another car, but I love this car! I'm going to keep it for quite some time further, repairs have been non existant other than a waterpump and fan blade. I'm nearing 100K miles so its time to replace some bushings, other than that it's a solid reliable ride.

Ya Gotta Love it!
By AtlantaGal on 12/15/04 16:12 PM (PST)

1997 BMW 3 Series Convertible 328i 2dr Convertible

I've now had this convertible BMW for 5 years and it's been a highlight of my driving days. I bought it used and still under warranty, which came in handy when the convertible straps needed replacing. I understand that happens at about 30K miles. If I had not grown up with two mechanic brothers working on Detroit vehicles, I would have had a chance to drive a BMW sooner. There is a reason why it's the Ultimate Driving Machine. Some folks may not like the fact that the control panel tells you when to do what, but it's a great help for me.