1997 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
I was in shock up until writing this Review
By merc272 on 02/04/12 16:23 PM (PST)

1997 BMW 3 Series 328is 2dr Coupe

The one word that pops to mind when i think of this car is "timeless". Its like a well maintained Italian suit, aged with beauty, but always stylish. The throttle response is a little iffy because the pedal seems to have a lengthy discussion with the engine and drive train before kicking me back in the seat. (that's what you get when you let the french design a transmission) never the less I'm never afraid to push it just a little bit more, and hit a blistering speed of 115mph on the highway before backing off the throttle. I was floored, grinning ear to ear like a little kid who had just gotten his first 22. rifle for Christmas. This is truly what a proper sports car should be.

Hidden Costs Of BMW Ownership
By ACF on 03/23/09 11:11 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 3 Series 328is 2dr Coupe

Look, the BMW 3 series is as about a pleasurable ride in a daily driver you can possibly get. Great road feel, great acceleration, great looks, & in the MT a superior shifting experience. However, be prepared to pay high maintenance costs, especially beyond 75k miles. I bought my '97 with 49k miles. It now has 99k, & I have put out around $7k in maintenance since. Clutch is $900, alternator is $450, ball joints are $500, water pump $400, tires (sport) $700 & brakes $300 done every other year. It has some quirky things too. LED displays (radio & odm) go dim/out, radiator necks break, coolant lever sensors go bad, paint chips/rusts way to easy. All in all a great ride, but you're gonna pay.

BMW fans unite
By Constant Car Shopper on 08/12/07 03:29 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 3 Series 328is 2dr Coupe

Even before I got my driver's license I wondered why people payed a premium for BMWs. I openly criticized, but secretly wanted one. Now that I own one there is no doubt that the BMW 3 series is a car driver's dream. I test drove my current vehicle almost as a lark and wound up buying it on the spot. Much like other reviewers this car makes me glad to get up everyday to drive this car to work. So far the maintenance on this vehicle has been no more than other cars I have owned. I bought this car with almost 100,000 miles on it and would love to put 100,000 more on it.

Great Drivers Car
By drpctp on 01/25/07 18:19 PM (PST)

1997 BMW 3 Series 328is 2dr Coupe

This car is awesome, there is a high attention to detail and once you gun the gas, this car begs to be driven hard. No wonder it's the ultimate driving machine.

3 series review
By Steve on 10/05/05 16:00 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW 3 Series 328is 2dr Coupe

Always look forward to driving to and from work because of this vehicle. Great balance and tossability along with good power, brakes and fuel economy. A little pricey to service and may not have the reliabilty of a Honda. Makes me feel young again.

70,000 trouble-fee miles
By crazy4blues on 02/26/05 23:26 PM (PST)

1997 BMW 3 Series 328is 2dr Coupe

I bought this car new 7 1/2 years ago, and have thoroughly enjoyed it. The handling is very neutral, and spirited driving is always fun--never "scary." I've never had any major issues with this car. Onramps are great fun, and I get about 28 mpg on the highway. 18 mpg City. It has started every morning and has never left me stranded. I have replaced the battery, the front brakes (rotors and pads), an AC module, and the water pump (as a precaution). While I have left it completely stock, this is a great platform for suspension upgrades and engine mods (CAI, Exhaust, Chip, etc.). I would definitely buy this car again.

Best ride I've owned
By Jeffy347 on 07/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 3 Series 328is 2dr Coupe

Bought this car knowing I would be driving a ton. Also, a bit of a rebound from previous marriage. It is an investment that has paid great dividends to my state of mind. No offense to my counselor - but for the same price, this vehicle offers similar solace :-) Bought with 99k,Trouble free to 107k in two months. I am concerned with a sluggish passenger window - auto up feature is sometimes sporadic - also passenger power lock has quit. I am sure it is a quick fix though. And smaller a price for sure than the 95 Audi 90 I owned this time last year. I am betting the Bimmer will not disappoint as much as that money pit! Long story short BMW Rocks!

Great handling, excellent value
By mdriver on 05/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 3 Series 328is 2dr Coupe

This is a very fun car. It has acceptable fuel economy in my opinion and has very good build quality. Easy to maintain if you like to work on the car yourself, though dealer visits can get very expensive very quickly.

1997 Arctic Silver 328is
By urban328is on 04/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 3 Series 328is 2dr Coupe

This is my first car, my father bought it for me for $10k. It is Arctic Silver, fully loaded with sports package, 6 disc changer, leather, etc. It does have 132000 miles on it but they are mostly highway miles and this car still drives like it is fresh off the lot. I would highly recommend the 3-series, we have two on the driveway and couildnt be happier with them.

BMW328is 2 door
By TZILLIGEN36 on 03/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 3 Series 328is 2dr Coupe

This car is the best handling car I have driven. It is a fun car to drive and gets good gas milage.