1997 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
A lot of car for the money
By fritz on 11/09/09 14:49 PM (PST)

1997 BMW 3 Series 318is 2dr Coupe

I own a 1997 BMW 318iS, it's almost identical to an M3 other than the engine which is the reliable M44 4 cyl. A solid car that is nimble and gets 38mpg highway, 24mpg in town, an average of about 30-32mpg. The S version has a lower M3 like sport suspension, wider stance, and mine was ordered with M3 rims which perfectly suit the car without being gawdy. Regular maintenance will give you a reliable smooth ride. Torquey engine redlines quickly with moderate gas but shifter seems longwinded compared to a 1980's Manual. Nice interior, mine has heated seats that warm up quickly in two modes. Multiple cabin vents. May be small for a larger person. I'm 6' tall and fit nicely. Very fun to drive.

Dream car
By kayandbert on 06/22/07 18:49 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW 3 Series 318is 2dr Coupe

I waited a long time to own the car of my dreams. Still looks great sitting in my garage. I still get compliments on the car. Very reliable transportation whether to work or traveling the interstate to visit my granddaughters.

Perfect car for teen
By templau on 07/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 3 Series 318is 2dr Coupe

The 318is does not have the power of other BMW's, but it has the handling, braking, looks, and feel all BMW's have. I bought it used because the price was good and the miles were low (46,000). At first, I was concerned that maintenance would be high as it typically is for BMW's. However, I use an independent mechanic who has serviced my cars for 13 years, and this car has been a dream. The small engine, manual trans and good handling are a great combination for a new teen driver while also providing some style and "cool". What I didn't expect was how much fun it would be or that my wife and I would fight with our teen over who gets to drive it.

Fantastic Car
By Indyrob on 04/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 3 Series 318is 2dr Coupe

Bought this car used...Awesome handling, good gas mileage, quiet, excellent pick-up in 5th.

1997 bmw 328is
By kyle a on 03/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 3 Series 318is 2dr Coupe

Love the car, have lots of fun with it.

How Soon Is Now?
By Moz1Fan on 11/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 3 Series 318is 2dr Coupe

Though it is used, it is the best car I've ever driven. Just had it fully serviced, and to no surprise it has NO problems.It's never too late to drive "The Ultimate Driving Machine". Morrissey drives one of these, what else can I say.

Highly Recommend This Car
By Juliet Brumlik on 06/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 3 Series 318is 2dr Coupe

This is my second 318is - both incredible. I now also own a 540i, and when I get back into my 318is I marvel that it does NOT seem dinky/underpowered next to the 540. I tend to drive the 3 faster, as it feels zippy and there's such a feeling of control over the vehicle. It has the sports suspension, which I adore - it really does make a difference. I have the manual transmission, and the clutch is silky and wonderful. Visibility is phenomenal. Great gas mileage, reliability and safety w/this car. By the way, this car has the best cup holders EVER. Put a soda can in and drive like Mario Andretti? No problem here.

Be ware of your local BMW shop
By saltyswede on 03/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 BMW 3 Series 318is 2dr Coupe

Took my car to S.F. BMW for a 60k check up. I was told that the cost would be 650. They then took of new wiperblades and replaced them etc. alot of hidden costs. They told me that the radiator was leaking and said that it with the "plastic waterpump and thermostate housing" at a cost of 3800. I took the car to a independent shop who informed me that the production date of my car indicated that it would not have the plastic waterpump. If you need parts for your BMW try the Partsbin.com they sell OEM and after market parts. S.F. BMW OEM Radiator 385 The Partsbin OME with shiping 169 The radiators are both made by baher and are identical.