1996 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
Best I've ever had
By oldf on 03/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

Not cheap but worth it. In the past trading in for a different car cost much more. Never kept a car this long and it's going to be even longer!

Fun to drive...but SECURE?
By barmem on 03/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

Great car to drive, amazing acceleration, tightest turn radius I've ever seen, and corners on a dime. Had some intermittent mechanical/electrical problems - but here's the concern on this car, people: It's been stolen twice in the last month. Both times, the thieves bipassed the FACTORY alarm without tripping it and started the car without touching the ignition or damaging the column whatsoever. BMW said it was impossible until they saw the car once we recovered it. Then they said there must be another key out there...until they accounted for them all. BEWARE...they'll say it's theft proof...but it's not any more.

Absolutely Awesome = 328i
By SF328i on 02/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

If your considering buying it, it is supreme over all competetors in its category. Considerable difference over the 325 also. Much nicer, highly recommended.

for autobahn drivers not commuters
By rajdc on 02/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Convertible

I bought a used 328i convertible in 1999. it got too problematic after 100K. who ever said german engineering is superior is crazy! ok maybe the perforance and design...but everything else--total crap. At first it gave me problems with the top. It would get stuck, and just act flaky. The car ran pretty well but had a lot of electrical problems--I mean A LOT! Pretty much everything on the dash was replaced at one point--even the HEATING unit!! spent about $5000 in repair.

Fun, but not worth it
By Readyforanother on 01/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

Great fun to drive, but at what cost? The car is in constant need of mechanical attention. The check engine and brake light sensors are constantly on, the electrical system is full of glitches, and everything started falling apart once it got past warranty (not that the warranty covered much anyway). If you are considering a used 3, find one with extremely low mileage or factor in several thousand dollars for repairs within the first few years.

Good Fun Doesn't Come Cheap
By FLS on 12/16/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

Great engineering went into the design of 328i. Great handling, good ergonomics, lots of cool gadgets, unbelievable at top speeds, but expensive to maintain. Other BMW owners seem to have the same comments.

My 328i
By Al Floer on 10/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

This car was bought with 26 k miles on t.i We have had to replace the brake disks 2 times, but this may be due to incorrect torqeing of the lugs by me. The car otherwise has been great. Just now replacing the shocks at 76k. Plan to keep for many years. May even give it to my grand child that is not born yet.. LOL

Stuck w/ it
By TEXanne on 09/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 BMW 3 Series 328is 2dr Coupe

This is a really fun car, but the repairs and tune ups are very expensive. Be sure to include those costs when you're evaluating what car to buy. Even with my warranty, I've still spent $2100 on repairs and the tune up inspection in one year! The service at the dealership in Austin, TX is beyond horrible (3 times they have told me I need repairs when the part isn't broken). If your BMW breaks down in Austin, take it to Black Forest Werkshop instead. My problem now is that with 91k miles, I'm afraid I'm not going to afford the repair costs much longer, but after driving this car, I'm so spoiled that it's hard to find a car I'd rather have! :)

It's amazing - but here are some issues.
By no alias on 08/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

Sport package seats are very stiff and also extremely supportive. You won't want to take this on a 3+ hour trip, but it's a blast getting to work each day! Also, remarkable in the snow with Blizzaks. The car is thought out very well, but the electric "glitches" can drive you nuts. Check engine light is aways on - but the performance exhaust and intake is probably my fault... Brake light indicator pops up from time to time, which I hear is a common issue. Everyone wants to race you from the stoplights - what's up with that!?! I have had only one repair in the past two years, and it was about $200.

Best Deal for Cheap Wheels
By Asian Persuasion on 07/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 BMW 3 Series 318ti 2dr Hatchback

Here I am sportin' my latest automobile acquistion. A 1996 BMW 318ti. I took this little white gem out for a spin after calling the selling party, in what seemed to be a deal that was too good to be true...$7200.00. No dents, perfect paint, everthing works! No argument here as it looks pristine! On the road it performed flawlessly as I flogged it on turn after turn. This vehicle handles! This vehicle is a nostaligic reminder of my old BMW 2002. I had the most fun in that car and the 318ti, in my opinion, is the spiritual successor brought up to current standards of crash worthiness and reliablity. Here's to another love affair with a car!