Used 1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Bmw 3-series - Consumer Reviews

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Fun to drive, not to fix
By Tony

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 318i 4dr Sedan

I just recently (may 2005) got hold of a 1996 318 automatic. Owner before me had taken good care of it. I haven't had any major problems (other than normal wear parts) with it so far (crosses fingers) and i just passed 100K. Check engine light came on for a "low pressure cat. converter" code, but i had that code cleared at a shop and it hasn't come on again. Gas mileage is great, i use 92 or higher, 94 if i can find it... (owners manual recommends 91 but gas cap says minimum is 89) I've taken a 393 mile trip 3 times in this car and I can drive straight through and still have a quarter tank left...with the AC running full blast going up hills...which is even better mpg than my 97 accord

Favorite Features

MPG, sporty performance, speed sensing steering, quiet interior, power/automatic everything...lots of gadgets for a small car

Suggested Improvements

I wish mine was a 5 speed, and had the sport suspension, ride is kinda soft with normal suspension. It wouldn't hurt to have a bit more HP & low end torque (maybe 150~160 instead of the 138Hp stock)

Amazing Car though not for everyone
By russ

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

Great car, love it but know what you are getting. Reliability: car will require some maintenance. Also reliability will vary with treatment more than some other cars, consider this when buying used. You will get electrical problems like brake light/check engine, do me a favor and don't buy/complain about this as it is not a "real" problem. Performance: depends on what you are comparing it to. Great compared to average cars: civic, grand am, saturn, etc. good driving experience corners well, accelerates, rear wheel drive which is completely under appreciated. Good blend of comfort and sport handling. But it is not a really fast car you will wish you had an M3 at times; though you can mod.

Favorite Features

Everything has a purpose and makes sense. 29 mpg when driving ~70 mph. great feel.

Suggested Improvements

Don't make an automatic, can't imagine driving this car like that. Really though, not too much to improve - some won't like cupholders.

Boston Green 318I Sedan
By Justin James

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 318i 4dr Sedan

I recently purchased this car during the summer, and it was the best money I ever spent. The car itself has a sporty and sleek design. Although it is a 96' it still gives other cars of that year a run for their money. Over all the 1.9L doch engine gives it a fairy quick acceleration which can be put to the test with the 4 speed tiptronic. This car will respond with elequence and grace toward any turn you put in fornt of it. Due to the German sport tuned suspention. The boston green with a metalic flake compliments the light tan interior very well. Instumentation and acessories inside the car are of excellent quality and are easily viewed. Overall it is the best car I've ever owned.

Favorite Features

My favorite features of this car is the tiptronic transmission, optional traction control,1.9l instead of the 1.8l,sports car feel in a sedan,mechanical reliability,great gas mileage,large sedan ride in a small compact,all power acessories.

Suggested Improvements

larger cabin space, slightly larger 4cyl,

328i=Permasmile
By Matt Van Dyke

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

Parts can be expensive, but most problems very easy to fix. This car is still tight and rattle free after 120k miles. I love it and will buy another BMW. Actually, I don't think I'll buy anything else again.

Favorite Features

Great looks, good performance, very solid

Awsome Vehicle
By RDSbmw

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

I bought the car used, in great condition, and I fell in love with it immediately. The interior is still in great shape, I haven't had any problems with it mechanically, and it is a pleasure to drive. The acceleration is unbelievable, it handles wonderfully, and the interior features work like a charm.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, automatic climate control, auto up/down windows and sunroof, on-board computer, visibility

Suggested Improvements

Larger cup holders, more storage space near driver seat