1996 BMW 3 Series 318i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
Fun to drive...but SECURE?
By barmem on 03/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

Great car to drive, amazing acceleration, tightest turn radius I've ever seen, and corners on a dime. Had some intermittent mechanical/electrical problems - but here's the concern on this car, people: It's been stolen twice in the last month. Both times, the thieves bipassed the FACTORY alarm without tripping it and started the car without touching the ignition or damaging the column whatsoever. BMW said it was impossible until they saw the car once we recovered it. Then they said there must be another key out there...until they accounted for them all. BEWARE...they'll say it's theft proof...but it's not any more.

Absolutely Awesome = 328i
By SF328i on 02/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

If your considering buying it, it is supreme over all competetors in its category. Considerable difference over the 325 also. Much nicer, highly recommended.

Fun, but not worth it
By Readyforanother on 01/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

Great fun to drive, but at what cost? The car is in constant need of mechanical attention. The check engine and brake light sensors are constantly on, the electrical system is full of glitches, and everything started falling apart once it got past warranty (not that the warranty covered much anyway). If you are considering a used 3, find one with extremely low mileage or factor in several thousand dollars for repairs within the first few years.

Good Fun Doesn't Come Cheap
By FLS on 12/16/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

Great engineering went into the design of 328i. Great handling, good ergonomics, lots of cool gadgets, unbelievable at top speeds, but expensive to maintain. Other BMW owners seem to have the same comments.

My 328i
By Al Floer on 10/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

This car was bought with 26 k miles on t.i We have had to replace the brake disks 2 times, but this may be due to incorrect torqeing of the lugs by me. The car otherwise has been great. Just now replacing the shocks at 76k. Plan to keep for many years. May even give it to my grand child that is not born yet.. LOL

It's amazing - but here are some issues.
By no alias on 08/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

Sport package seats are very stiff and also extremely supportive. You won't want to take this on a 3+ hour trip, but it's a blast getting to work each day! Also, remarkable in the snow with Blizzaks. The car is thought out very well, but the electric "glitches" can drive you nuts. Check engine light is aways on - but the performance exhaust and intake is probably my fault... Brake light indicator pops up from time to time, which I hear is a common issue. Everyone wants to race you from the stoplights - what's up with that!?! I have had only one repair in the past two years, and it was about $200.

Happy but Sad
By james lane on 07/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 318i 4dr Sedan

My 1996 BMW 318i offers great looks and luxurious interior. It has excellent driving feautures such as handling, cruise control, high-tech equipment but at 75,000 miles my ABS went out on the car. BMW of Nashville repair department wanting 77 dollars an hour to guess at what's wrong with the ABS.

A+
By Zug on 07/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 318i 4dr Sedan

This has been the best car I've owned. No, it doesn't accelerate fast, but in urban/sub-urban driving who cares? I get 25/city and 38/highway (Yes that's true) off of 89 Octane. Use Mobil 1 15/50 year-round (yes, it's worth the extra money) and have added a DRL module. Easy to work on.

Fun
By Jc on 05/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 318i 4dr Sedan

great car to drive, the 4c seems to lack a little, but when its up to speed watch out. the ABS went out at 78000 miles and may cost $1100 to replace

Fun to Drive---Annoying Otherwise
By KMc on 03/08/02 13:38 PM (PST)

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

I love driving this car! However, several things have been a disappointment. I purchased the car pre-owned (mistake), and ended up putting $3000 into it over the first 20 months. The most expensive repair was the clutch. I would imagine the previous owner learned to drive a 5-speed on this vehicle. My 2nd mistake was purchasing from Plaza Motor in St Louis. Worst buying experience in my life. Women, avoid shopping for any car here. You will get absolutely no respect.