Used 1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Awesome car!
By Mike James

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

This is arguably the best three series ever. It handles like a dream, has great power and has a classic design. The gas mileage is in the high 20s which is surprising. Big difference between this car and the earlier 325i. We plan on driving it until it reaches 250,000 miles.

Favorite Features

handling, power and feel for the road.

Suggested Improvements

nothing considering its a 10 year old car

The best 3 series ever
By Classic 3 series

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

We bought this car when it was 10 years old and with 62k miles and cannot believe how tight it is. Steering is awesome and power is impressive. It also gets about 29MPG on the highway. This model has all of the power options unlike the late 90s and early 00s where they started to option these features. The sport mode gives it a real edge and is great in traffic. We hope to have it for the next 150k miles.

Favorite Features

Handling and power.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders.

The ultimate driving machine
By john

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 318i 4dr Sedan

Zippy fun to drive car! handling is excellent. pick up is decent for a 4 speed automatic, 4cyl car. In my opinion you can hang with any other sports sedan on the freeway with this car. One thing about BMWs that the owner must stay on top of is the maintenace. these are VERY sensitive cars and if you ignore the maintenance the end result will hit you in your wallet hard!

Favorite Features

The sport mode. Love it just pop it into 3rd gear and its faster with shifts at higher RPMs and if you give it full throttle it will up shift when it hits its red line of about 6500 RPMs.

Maybe Will Keep Another 50,000
By PAUL WILSON

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 318i 4dr Sedan

I purchased the car while living in Germany, although it was a U.S. made car. I now have 205,000 miles and I have always had it serviced at authorized BMW dealers. No engine or transmission repairs ever. It is a really fun car to drive, and overall I would say economical. The first five years of my ownership were in Germany, and the car really did well at high speeds. On the Autobahn I usually drove 85-95 MPH, but I have driven it as fast as 140 MPH with no problems. Although the car has 205,000 miles on it I think it will be good for at least another 50,000 or more.

Favorite Features

Reliability. I have only had one breakdown, which was a throttle cable disconnecting, just last week. It was fixed by a bystander. Other favorite feature is range - I often drive 500 miles on one fillup.

Suggested Improvements

It would be hard for me to find anything they could improve upon. Some of BMW's recent improvements, such as no oil dipstick and the runflat tires make me think I will keep the car a have for a few thousand more miles.

Bang for the Buck
By chris

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

Had this car for over 10 years and 180,000 miles and the car is still going strong. Body is sturdy and still no creaks or rattles whatsoever. Maintenance is cheaper than my Honda since parts don't break down or rust as much. Excellent fuel mileage and very practical due to the folding seats. Excellent handling. This car can take curves and corners at high speeds. I've almost run off roads with rental cars since I'm used to how this car handles. It would have been better if this had a 6 cylinder engine, but it holds up more than repectably when pushed at higher rpms. Torque is strong at all rpms. Too bad they stopped making this model. Europe still has it with 6 cylinder models.

Favorite Features

- Extremely comfortable seats - Folding rear seats - Fuel mileage - Strong body

Suggested Improvements

- Bring it back with a stronger engine - Inside finish could be more in par with higher end 3 series. Looks a little cheap