1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
Fun to drive, not to fix
By Tony on 06/22/05 01:10 AM (PDT)

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 318i 4dr Sedan

I just recently (may 2005) got hold of a 1996 318 automatic. Owner before me had taken good care of it. I haven't had any major problems (other than normal wear parts) with it so far (crosses fingers) and i just passed 100K. Check engine light came on for a "low pressure cat. converter" code, but i had that code cleared at a shop and it hasn't come on again. Gas mileage is great, i use 92 or higher, 94 if i can find it... (owners manual recommends 91 but gas cap says minimum is 89) I've taken a 393 mile trip 3 times in this car and I can drive straight through and still have a quarter tank left...with the AC running full blast going up hills...which is even better mpg than my 97 accord

Amazing Car though not for everyone
By russ on 05/10/05 01:45 AM (PDT)

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

Great car, love it but know what you are getting. Reliability: car will require some maintenance. Also reliability will vary with treatment more than some other cars, consider this when buying used. You will get electrical problems like brake light/check engine, do me a favor and don't buy/complain about this as it is not a "real" problem. Performance: depends on what you are comparing it to. Great compared to average cars: civic, grand am, saturn, etc. good driving experience corners well, accelerates, rear wheel drive which is completely under appreciated. Good blend of comfort and sport handling. But it is not a really fast car you will wish you had an M3 at times; though you can mod.

Boston Green 318I Sedan
By Justin James on 03/03/05 15:27 PM (PST)

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 318i 4dr Sedan

I recently purchased this car during the summer, and it was the best money I ever spent. The car itself has a sporty and sleek design. Although it is a 96' it still gives other cars of that year a run for their money. Over all the 1.9L doch engine gives it a fairy quick acceleration which can be put to the test with the 4 speed tiptronic. This car will respond with elequence and grace toward any turn you put in fornt of it. Due to the German sport tuned suspention. The boston green with a metalic flake compliments the light tan interior very well. Instumentation and acessories inside the car are of excellent quality and are easily viewed. Overall it is the best car I've ever owned.

328i=Permasmile
By Matt Van Dyke on 10/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

Parts can be expensive, but most problems very easy to fix. This car is still tight and rattle free after 120k miles. I love it and will buy another BMW. Actually, I don't think I'll buy anything else again.

Awsome Vehicle
By RDSbmw on 03/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

I bought the car used, in great condition, and I fell in love with it immediately. The interior is still in great shape, I haven't had any problems with it mechanically, and it is a pleasure to drive. The acceleration is unbelievable, it handles wonderfully, and the interior features work like a charm.

328i
By M35 on 03/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

This car was an amazing blend of performance, comfort, and reliability. I will always own a BMW. The overall balance of their cars can not be matched.

Great Car
By stev1ap on 05/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

This is a great car. It was in great condition when I bought the car so I have not had to many problems with it. Little stuff like the drivers electric door lock messed up. That only cost me $150 to fix so not to bad. My water pump messed up and cost me $300, but I am told that it is common on these cars if the original pump is still in there. It has 80K miles on it. But the motor purrs like a kitten. It runs GREAT!

love it...quirky though
By ole on 04/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

this car is SO much fun to drive. BMW makes a quality car, but crazy german electrical rears its ugly head.

An exceptional car
By RBL on 03/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 318i 4dr Sedan

This is one of four BMWs I currently own and my seventh overall, and it is one of the best: inexpensive to maintain with 25+ mpg in daily driving, absolutely reliable and as fun to drive as any BMW.

Best I've ever had
By oldf on 03/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

Not cheap but worth it. In the past trading in for a different car cost much more. Never kept a car this long and it's going to be even longer!