1996 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews 2

1996 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
Awesome car!
By Mike James on 03/18/08 18:28 PM (PDT)

1996 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

This is arguably the best three series ever. It handles like a dream, has great power and has a classic design. The gas mileage is in the high 20s which is surprising. Big difference between this car and the earlier 325i. We plan on driving it until it reaches 250,000 miles.

The best 3 series ever
By Classic 3 series on 03/02/08 15:39 PM (PST)

1996 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

We bought this car when it was 10 years old and with 62k miles and cannot believe how tight it is. Steering is awesome and power is impressive. It also gets about 29MPG on the highway. This model has all of the power options unlike the late 90s and early 00s where they started to option these features. The sport mode gives it a real edge and is great in traffic. We hope to have it for the next 150k miles.

The ultimate driving machine
By john on 01/02/08 20:19 PM (PST)

1996 BMW 3 Series 318i 4dr Sedan

Zippy fun to drive car! handling is excellent. pick up is decent for a 4 speed automatic, 4cyl car. In my opinion you can hang with any other sports sedan on the freeway with this car. One thing about BMWs that the owner must stay on top of is the maintenace. these are VERY sensitive cars and if you ignore the maintenance the end result will hit you in your wallet hard!

Still an Ultimate Driving Machine
By White 2 Dr Coupe on 11/08/07 13:18 PM (PST)

1996 BMW 3 Series 328is 2dr Coupe

After owning this car for five years I still enjoy the ride & performance of this vehicle. It makes just driving to the grocery store a pleasure. Keeping it clean brings comments to me all the time, like what year is your car and when I tell them they don't believe it. They say that car still looks new. And it feels good because I stay up on the maintenance.

Maybe Will Keep Another 50,000
By PAUL WILSON on 07/04/07 22:02 PM (PDT)

1996 BMW 3 Series 318i 4dr Sedan

I purchased the car while living in Germany, although it was a U.S. made car. I now have 205,000 miles and I have always had it serviced at authorized BMW dealers. No engine or transmission repairs ever. It is a really fun car to drive, and overall I would say economical. The first five years of my ownership were in Germany, and the car really did well at high speeds. On the Autobahn I usually drove 85-95 MPH, but I have driven it as fast as 140 MPH with no problems. Although the car has 205,000 miles on it I think it will be good for at least another 50,000 or more.

Great little coupe
By Hellrot on 04/20/07 08:18 AM (PDT)

1996 BMW 3 Series 328is 2dr Coupe

Very comfortable highway car. I'm 6'3" 220 lbs. and I have plenty of room. It has plenty of power for the highway and is very agile in city traffic. The central locking system these Germans designed is a tough one to figure out. That's my only beef. The car is very tight, solid. At high speeds it is quiet and smooth. You definitely have to pay attention to your speed or set the cruise control otherwise you'll be traveling 80+ mph and not realize it. It handles like it is on rails but still maintains a smooth ride quality. This is my first BMW. I have owned 30 different cars over the last 30+ years. This car impressed me so much that I'll be adding another BMW to my collection very soon.

Genuinely fun but not for everyone
By Michael on 01/04/07 08:27 AM (PST)

1996 BMW 3 Series 328is 2dr Coupe

BMWs have the reputation of being a car for those to whom driving is more than just getting from point A to point B and this car shows why. It's sophisticated fun especially with a five speed and good tires. Turns everyday boring drives into something to be enjoyed. However on an older car like this you better know how to work on it yourself or know a good independent mechanic who can. A dealer can be really expensive. It's just the price you pay for owning an out of warranty performance car. If you want basic transportation with minimum $$ for maintenance better find something more reliable.

Great Value...
By BigMikeyP on 05/08/06 10:01 AM (PDT)

1996 BMW 3 Series 318ti 2dr Hatchback

This is possibly the most reliable car made in the last 20 years. Mine has 193K miles and has yet to have any major mechanical problems. It has never broken down and I don't detect a drop in performance. Its not a great long distance car as it can ride a little stiff. The other problem is noise at 70+ mph. It can also get lite in the rain, especially at high speeds. Interestingly enough, it seems unstable at 70mph (dry road) but sits down nicely and rides beautifully at 85+mph. Clearly a car built for the autobon. My parting though is that I love this car and intend to drive it for another 60+K miles.

My First BMW
By Yves on 05/06/06 20:11 PM (PDT)

1996 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Convertible

I couldn't pass up the opportunity to buy this car. I have never owned anything close to this car before. I have driven many north american and a few european models and this car's driving experience exceeded all of those and my expectations. The engine is silky smooth right to the redline and puts out plenty of go. Although the auto transmission may not provide as much pure joy as the stick, the manual shift option comes close. The suspension is pure genius. Never too harsh, it provides a stable, confidence inspiring platform at any speed or road condition. Drop the top, and this little white car goes from attractive to gorgeous. Every time I drive it, I can't stop smiling.

Bang for the Buck
By chris on 12/02/05 10:08 AM (PST)

1996 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

Had this car for over 10 years and 180,000 miles and the car is still going strong. Body is sturdy and still no creaks or rattles whatsoever. Maintenance is cheaper than my Honda since parts don't break down or rust as much. Excellent fuel mileage and very practical due to the folding seats. Excellent handling. This car can take curves and corners at high speeds. I've almost run off roads with rental cars since I'm used to how this car handles. It would have been better if this had a 6 cylinder engine, but it holds up more than repectably when pushed at higher rpms. Torque is strong at all rpms. Too bad they stopped making this model. Europe still has it with 6 cylinder models.