Used 1996 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Dissappointed
By yorgi

1996 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

I bought the car from a carpool co- worker with 97,000 mi. The car was in excellent condition and garage kept. The radio failed on me, the rear differential had a slow leak, the air conditioning dash unit had to be replaced. I also took excellent care of the vehicle expecting to easily get 180k mi or more. At 156k it just overheated on me, and needed head gasket repair $1800. Two mechanics have told me when this happens on my model usually the head unit also needs replaced $1K, and typically the cylinder cracks, coolant gels, water pump an issue. The BMW mechanic said I was better off to replace the engine $6K if I keep it. Now looking for salvage value after several years of pristine care. :(

Heated seats

It's obvious from my experience.

BMW 318IS - The Ultimate Driving Machine
By C. Keith

1996 BMW 3 Series 318is 2dr Coupe

With beautiful interior/exterior appearances, this little 1900 cc driven head turner has surprising acceleration and superlative handling prowess. With 315K mileage, my service mechanic always says, "You can't kill these engines," every time I stop by for routine maintenance or inspections. Problem is, however, there have been numerous factory recalls for faulty emission components that have finally caught up to ruin my wistful experiences with this rig. Two (2) bad air sensors and a dysfunctional cam sensor have now put my beamer permanently confined to my driveway, because to repair these at a dealer would cost more than the car is worth unencumbered by these maladies. Dream over.

Tight five-speed manual shifter pattern.

Grear car
By Bmw owner

1996 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

Owned the car for 3 yrs and at 160000 miles now. Has to be one of the most reliable cars ever made. If I could I would buy a new 1996 328 right now.

Gas mileage

SOOO expensive to repair
By Heather

1996 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Convertible

The head gasket is a major issue... YIKES. The engine components are made up of lots of plastic. I have had lots of electrical issues and the convertible top gets stuck sometimes. The top is leaking and caused mold damage to my back seats.

Cute and fun to drive. Love that tools are built into the trunk lid - nice. The car is solid. I was rear ended and the American SUV almost folded in half and just my bumper folded in the corner.

Everything electrical.

BMW 328 IC Convertible
By Gene

1996 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Convertible

I traded a Dodge Ram Diesel with problems for this vehicle. I have had a few problems. Radio display dim, climate control not working, and fast wear of pulleys and bearings. Overall a very good car and would recommend to anyone looking for a good used vehicle.

Power top and sport suspension. You ride on a rail!

Electronics are horrible. Windows, climate control and radio/cd changer issues. Find a good mechanic and have him re-engineer them for you.