1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
The ultimate driving machine
By john on 01/02/08 20:19 PM (PST)

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 318i 4dr Sedan

Zippy fun to drive car! handling is excellent. pick up is decent for a 4 speed automatic, 4cyl car. In my opinion you can hang with any other sports sedan on the freeway with this car. One thing about BMWs that the owner must stay on top of is the maintenace. these are VERY sensitive cars and if you ignore the maintenance the end result will hit you in your wallet hard!

Maybe Will Keep Another 50,000
By PAUL WILSON on 07/04/07 22:02 PM (PDT)

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 318i 4dr Sedan

I purchased the car while living in Germany, although it was a U.S. made car. I now have 205,000 miles and I have always had it serviced at authorized BMW dealers. No engine or transmission repairs ever. It is a really fun car to drive, and overall I would say economical. The first five years of my ownership were in Germany, and the car really did well at high speeds. On the Autobahn I usually drove 85-95 MPH, but I have driven it as fast as 140 MPH with no problems. Although the car has 205,000 miles on it I think it will be good for at least another 50,000 or more.

Fun to drive, not to fix
By Tony on 06/22/05 01:10 AM (PDT)

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 318i 4dr Sedan

I just recently (may 2005) got hold of a 1996 318 automatic. Owner before me had taken good care of it. I haven't had any major problems (other than normal wear parts) with it so far (crosses fingers) and i just passed 100K. Check engine light came on for a "low pressure cat. converter" code, but i had that code cleared at a shop and it hasn't come on again. Gas mileage is great, i use 92 or higher, 94 if i can find it... (owners manual recommends 91 but gas cap says minimum is 89) I've taken a 393 mile trip 3 times in this car and I can drive straight through and still have a quarter tank left...with the AC running full blast going up hills...which is even better mpg than my 97 accord

Boston Green 318I Sedan
By Justin James on 03/03/05 15:27 PM (PST)

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 318i 4dr Sedan

I recently purchased this car during the summer, and it was the best money I ever spent. The car itself has a sporty and sleek design. Although it is a 96' it still gives other cars of that year a run for their money. Over all the 1.9L doch engine gives it a fairy quick acceleration which can be put to the test with the 4 speed tiptronic. This car will respond with elequence and grace toward any turn you put in fornt of it. Due to the German sport tuned suspention. The boston green with a metalic flake compliments the light tan interior very well. Instumentation and acessories inside the car are of excellent quality and are easily viewed. Overall it is the best car I've ever owned.

An exceptional car
By RBL on 03/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 318i 4dr Sedan

This is one of four BMWs I currently own and my seventh overall, and it is one of the best: inexpensive to maintain with 25+ mpg in daily driving, absolutely reliable and as fun to drive as any BMW.

Happy but Sad
By james lane on 07/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 318i 4dr Sedan

My 1996 BMW 318i offers great looks and luxurious interior. It has excellent driving feautures such as handling, cruise control, high-tech equipment but at 75,000 miles my ABS went out on the car. BMW of Nashville repair department wanting 77 dollars an hour to guess at what's wrong with the ABS.

A+
By Zug on 07/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 318i 4dr Sedan

This has been the best car I've owned. No, it doesn't accelerate fast, but in urban/sub-urban driving who cares? I get 25/city and 38/highway (Yes that's true) off of 89 Octane. Use Mobil 1 15/50 year-round (yes, it's worth the extra money) and have added a DRL module. Easy to work on.

Fun
By Jc on 05/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 318i 4dr Sedan

great car to drive, the 4c seems to lack a little, but when its up to speed watch out. the ABS went out at 78000 miles and may cost $1100 to replace

MY 1996 BMW 318I
By BILAL on 03/02/02 22:47 PM (PST)

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 318i 4dr Sedan

Well, the car is exellent German quality, good fuel economy,and performance ratio in its class.