Used 1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Excellent car
By rhodesej2

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

When we bought our 328i it had approx 82k miles on it, it now has 150k. In that time we have had to replace the radiator and water pump. At 150k it drives like it just came off the showroom floor. We are very pleased with it. My wife is the primary driver and we are now considering buying a 2001 5 series. The paint is cracking in some places also the ignition switch has presented some problems which was an inconvenience to have repaired. All in all it is an excellent vehicle.

Steering is tight with no play in the steering wheel. Acceleration is outstanding.

not the greatest
By breezibre

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

We got this car in 2008 with 199000 miles it lasted 4 weeks before the check engine light was on. we paid $1700 in repairs just to have the light come on again 5 wks later. we finally donated it in summer 2010 after pouring $7000 into it and still couldnt pass smog. atleast we got to claim it on our taxes right? lol

Amazing car
By bmw_fanatic

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

This car is absolutely amazing. I've owned this car since 90,000 miles and have used it as a daily commuter, ALL seasons. It has 260,000+ miles on it now and it still runs great. This interior is in great condition and the leather looks amazing and won't just deteriorate on you. The exterior is still in good shape, although rust is beginning to start under the doors. The engine ticks a little bit now as well. Besides that the engine still roars like she's new and I couldn't be happier with this vehicle.

The interior is beautiful, the exterior is beautiful, the engine is fast, and the handling is top notch. I love everything about this car.

Better acceleration pedal (its VERY spongey), a bit better bass for the audio, better gas mileage haha.

Dissappointed
By yorgi

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

I bought the car from a carpool co- worker with 97,000 mi. The car was in excellent condition and garage kept. The radio failed on me, the rear differential had a slow leak, the air conditioning dash unit had to be replaced. I also took excellent care of the vehicle expecting to easily get 180k mi or more. At 156k it just overheated on me, and needed head gasket repair $1800. Two mechanics have told me when this happens on my model usually the head unit also needs replaced $1K, and typically the cylinder cracks, coolant gels, water pump an issue. The BMW mechanic said I was better off to replace the engine $6K if I keep it. Now looking for salvage value after several years of pristine care. :(

Heated seats

It's obvious from my experience.

Grear car
By Bmw owner

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

Owned the car for 3 yrs and at 160000 miles now. Has to be one of the most reliable cars ever made. If I could I would buy a new 1996 328 right now.

Gas mileage