1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
Excellent car
By rhodesej2 on 09/03/12 19:03 PM (PDT)

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

When we bought our 328i it had approx 82k miles on it, it now has 150k. In that time we have had to replace the radiator and water pump. At 150k it drives like it just came off the showroom floor. We are very pleased with it. My wife is the primary driver and we are now considering buying a 2001 5 series. The paint is cracking in some places also the ignition switch has presented some problems which was an inconvenience to have repaired. All in all it is an excellent vehicle.

not the greatest
By breezibre on 02/22/12 00:11 AM (PST)

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

We got this car in 2008 with 199000 miles it lasted 4 weeks before the check engine light was on. we paid $1700 in repairs just to have the light come on again 5 wks later. we finally donated it in summer 2010 after pouring $7000 into it and still couldnt pass smog. atleast we got to claim it on our taxes right? lol

Amazing car
By bmw_fanatic on 02/19/11 07:41 AM (PST)

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

This car is absolutely amazing. I've owned this car since 90,000 miles and have used it as a daily commuter, ALL seasons. It has 260,000+ miles on it now and it still runs great. This interior is in great condition and the leather looks amazing and won't just deteriorate on you. The exterior is still in good shape, although rust is beginning to start under the doors. The engine ticks a little bit now as well. Besides that the engine still roars like she's new and I couldn't be happier with this vehicle.

Dissappointed
By yorgi on 07/30/10 16:01 PM (PDT)

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

I bought the car from a carpool co- worker with 97,000 mi. The car was in excellent condition and garage kept. The radio failed on me, the rear differential had a slow leak, the air conditioning dash unit had to be replaced. I also took excellent care of the vehicle expecting to easily get 180k mi or more. At 156k it just overheated on me, and needed head gasket repair $1800. Two mechanics have told me when this happens on my model usually the head unit also needs replaced $1K, and typically the cylinder cracks, coolant gels, water pump an issue. The BMW mechanic said I was better off to replace the engine $6K if I keep it. Now looking for salvage value after several years of pristine care. :(

Grear car
By Bmw owner on 09/14/09 07:33 AM (PDT)

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

Owned the car for 3 yrs and at 160000 miles now. Has to be one of the most reliable cars ever made. If I could I would buy a new 1996 328 right now.

Awesome car!
By Mike James on 03/18/08 18:28 PM (PDT)

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

This is arguably the best three series ever. It handles like a dream, has great power and has a classic design. The gas mileage is in the high 20s which is surprising. Big difference between this car and the earlier 325i. We plan on driving it until it reaches 250,000 miles.

The best 3 series ever
By Classic 3 series on 03/02/08 15:39 PM (PST)

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

We bought this car when it was 10 years old and with 62k miles and cannot believe how tight it is. Steering is awesome and power is impressive. It also gets about 29MPG on the highway. This model has all of the power options unlike the late 90s and early 00s where they started to option these features. The sport mode gives it a real edge and is great in traffic. We hope to have it for the next 150k miles.

The ultimate driving machine
By john on 01/02/08 20:19 PM (PST)

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 318i 4dr Sedan

Zippy fun to drive car! handling is excellent. pick up is decent for a 4 speed automatic, 4cyl car. In my opinion you can hang with any other sports sedan on the freeway with this car. One thing about BMWs that the owner must stay on top of is the maintenace. these are VERY sensitive cars and if you ignore the maintenance the end result will hit you in your wallet hard!

Maybe Will Keep Another 50,000
By PAUL WILSON on 07/04/07 22:02 PM (PDT)

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 318i 4dr Sedan

I purchased the car while living in Germany, although it was a U.S. made car. I now have 205,000 miles and I have always had it serviced at authorized BMW dealers. No engine or transmission repairs ever. It is a really fun car to drive, and overall I would say economical. The first five years of my ownership were in Germany, and the car really did well at high speeds. On the Autobahn I usually drove 85-95 MPH, but I have driven it as fast as 140 MPH with no problems. Although the car has 205,000 miles on it I think it will be good for at least another 50,000 or more.

Bang for the Buck
By chris on 12/02/05 10:08 AM (PST)

1996 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

Had this car for over 10 years and 180,000 miles and the car is still going strong. Body is sturdy and still no creaks or rattles whatsoever. Maintenance is cheaper than my Honda since parts don't break down or rust as much. Excellent fuel mileage and very practical due to the folding seats. Excellent handling. This car can take curves and corners at high speeds. I've almost run off roads with rental cars since I'm used to how this car handles. It would have been better if this had a 6 cylinder engine, but it holds up more than repectably when pushed at higher rpms. Torque is strong at all rpms. Too bad they stopped making this model. Europe still has it with 6 cylinder models.