1996 BMW 3 Series Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
295k
By mbj5 on 01/06/12 16:39 PM (PST)

1996 BMW 3 Series Coupe 318is 2dr Coupe

I bought this car 6 years ago with 187k on it. I was a poor college kid at the time and it was a relatively inexpensive car. Well the past 3 years I have driven the heck out of it. An hour commute on the backroads of PA (terrible roads), and an hour commute on highways of MD. I've put 100k on it in those 3 years. I have had to replace a lower control arm, and the heater control unit, so about $500 in parts. The speakers have blown and the radio backlight doesn't show up too well. I nearly get 40 mpg and hammer it on the backroads and never ride slower than 80 mph. Great car! I would love another one.

BMW 318IS - The Ultimate Driving Machine
By C. Keith on 12/11/09 08:29 AM (PST)

1996 BMW 3 Series Coupe 318is 2dr Coupe

With beautiful interior/exterior appearances, this little 1900 cc driven head turner has surprising acceleration and superlative handling prowess. With 315K mileage, my service mechanic always says, "You can't kill these engines," every time I stop by for routine maintenance or inspections. Problem is, however, there have been numerous factory recalls for faulty emission components that have finally caught up to ruin my wistful experiences with this rig. Two (2) bad air sensors and a dysfunctional cam sensor have now put my beamer permanently confined to my driveway, because to repair these at a dealer would cost more than the car is worth unencumbered by these maladies. Dream over.

Still an Ultimate Driving Machine
By White 2 Dr Coupe on 11/08/07 13:18 PM (PST)

1996 BMW 3 Series Coupe 328is 2dr Coupe

After owning this car for five years I still enjoy the ride & performance of this vehicle. It makes just driving to the grocery store a pleasure. Keeping it clean brings comments to me all the time, like what year is your car and when I tell them they don't believe it. They say that car still looks new. And it feels good because I stay up on the maintenance.

Great little coupe
By Hellrot on 04/20/07 08:18 AM (PDT)

1996 BMW 3 Series Coupe 328is 2dr Coupe

Very comfortable highway car. I'm 6'3" 220 lbs. and I have plenty of room. It has plenty of power for the highway and is very agile in city traffic. The central locking system these Germans designed is a tough one to figure out. That's my only beef. The car is very tight, solid. At high speeds it is quiet and smooth. You definitely have to pay attention to your speed or set the cruise control otherwise you'll be traveling 80+ mph and not realize it. It handles like it is on rails but still maintains a smooth ride quality. This is my first BMW. I have owned 30 different cars over the last 30+ years. This car impressed me so much that I'll be adding another BMW to my collection very soon.

Genuinely fun but not for everyone
By Michael on 01/04/07 08:27 AM (PST)

1996 BMW 3 Series Coupe 328is 2dr Coupe

BMWs have the reputation of being a car for those to whom driving is more than just getting from point A to point B and this car shows why. It's sophisticated fun especially with a five speed and good tires. Turns everyday boring drives into something to be enjoyed. However on an older car like this you better know how to work on it yourself or know a good independent mechanic who can. A dealer can be really expensive. It's just the price you pay for owning an out of warranty performance car. If you want basic transportation with minimum $$ for maintenance better find something more reliable.

Who wouldnt like one??
By 328is Lover! on 03/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 BMW 3 Series Coupe 328is 2dr Coupe

I just love this car! I got an extremely good deal on a 64,000 mile car! The engine is GREAT, the 5-Speed manual is really smooth! and the performance is not expected. This car easily takes on v8 cars such as 98 Mustang GT's and older GT's. The only problem you have with it is people that hate you for owning such a car... Someone shot my window... but if you do it yourself its very inexpensive, and if you have a Cousin working at the Dealer its even better.

My "TOY"
By gerahart on 08/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 BMW 3 Series Coupe 328is 2dr Coupe

First time I've owned a BMW and have decided I'll always have one around. My vehicle is so much fun to drive with more power than I legally know what to do with. Maintenance is a bit expensive but I figured that's just the cost of quality. Controls are logical and easy to get to. Most of the better features I wanted came as standard equipment.

Stuck w/ it
By TEXanne on 09/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 BMW 3 Series Coupe 328is 2dr Coupe

This is a really fun car, but the repairs and tune ups are very expensive. Be sure to include those costs when you're evaluating what car to buy. Even with my warranty, I've still spent $2100 on repairs and the tune up inspection in one year! The service at the dealership in Austin, TX is beyond horrible (3 times they have told me I need repairs when the part isn't broken). If your BMW breaks down in Austin, take it to Black Forest Werkshop instead. My problem now is that with 91k miles, I'm afraid I'm not going to afford the repair costs much longer, but after driving this car, I'm so spoiled that it's hard to find a car I'd rather have! :)

I LOVE this car!!!!!!!!!
By wallabbie on 05/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 BMW 3 Series Coupe 328is 2dr Coupe

I purchased my 1996 model used in 1998, where it had been a demo car at the dealership and had only 7500 miles on it . I felt I was very fortunate to find this car at an excellent price. I love to drive, and have to brave the Dallas streets and the Texas drivers' mentality often. I feel very safe in this car-- not only for its sturdiness, but also for the reaction I feel under my foot when I need some extra acceleration to avoid those other drivers! The Harmon-Kardon stereo system is tops, and I get quite a bit of use from my weather radio.

review 328is
By dlouie on 03/23/02 00:00 AM (PST)

Great Car