Used 1996 BMW 3 Series Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

295k
By mbj5

1996 BMW 3 Series Coupe 318is 2dr Coupe

I bought this car 6 years ago with 187k on it. I was a poor college kid at the time and it was a relatively inexpensive car. Well the past 3 years I have driven the heck out of it. An hour commute on the backroads of PA (terrible roads), and an hour commute on highways of MD. I've put 100k on it in those 3 years. I have had to replace a lower control arm, and the heater control unit, so about $500 in parts. The speakers have blown and the radio backlight doesn't show up too well. I nearly get 40 mpg and hammer it on the backroads and never ride slower than 80 mph. Great car! I would love another one.

Favorite Features

Agility and 5th gear

BMW 318IS - The Ultimate Driving Machine
By C. Keith

1996 BMW 3 Series Coupe 318is 2dr Coupe

With beautiful interior/exterior appearances, this little 1900 cc driven head turner has surprising acceleration and superlative handling prowess. With 315K mileage, my service mechanic always says, "You can't kill these engines," every time I stop by for routine maintenance or inspections. Problem is, however, there have been numerous factory recalls for faulty emission components that have finally caught up to ruin my wistful experiences with this rig. Two (2) bad air sensors and a dysfunctional cam sensor have now put my beamer permanently confined to my driveway, because to repair these at a dealer would cost more than the car is worth unencumbered by these maladies. Dream over.

Favorite Features

Tight five-speed manual shifter pattern.

Still an Ultimate Driving Machine
By White 2 Dr Coupe

1996 BMW 3 Series Coupe 328is 2dr Coupe

After owning this car for five years I still enjoy the ride & performance of this vehicle. It makes just driving to the grocery store a pleasure. Keeping it clean brings comments to me all the time, like what year is your car and when I tell them they don't believe it. They say that car still looks new. And it feels good because I stay up on the maintenance.

Favorite Features

A white BMW is the best. My tinted windows make the car look real good. The sound system is new & exceptionally good sounding. The ride is comforting and exhilirating. The syle of my car is still eye catching. The sunroof makes an evening ride fresh. The tan leather seats still look & feel good.

Suggested Improvements

A nice detail would add value to my car. I didn't personalize it. But someone else might want to change the rims as an effort to reduce brake dust.

Great little coupe
By Hellrot

1996 BMW 3 Series Coupe 328is 2dr Coupe

Very comfortable highway car. I'm 6'3" 220 lbs. and I have plenty of room. It has plenty of power for the highway and is very agile in city traffic. The central locking system these Germans designed is a tough one to figure out. That's my only beef. The car is very tight, solid. At high speeds it is quiet and smooth. You definitely have to pay attention to your speed or set the cruise control otherwise you'll be traveling 80+ mph and not realize it. It handles like it is on rails but still maintains a smooth ride quality. This is my first BMW. I have owned 30 different cars over the last 30+ years. This car impressed me so much that I'll be adding another BMW to my collection very soon.

Favorite Features

The layout of the controls. Duel heating and a/c zones. I like it cool, the little lady likes it hot, with the duel zone we are both happy. The factory stereo is on of the best sounding stock systems I have heard. The trunk lid opens really far out of your way. High quality interior components.

Suggested Improvements

Simplify the central locking system. Make the delay wiper mode so it can be adjusted by the driver, speed up or slow down. I find the single preset unadjustable wiper delay to be to slow for any rain situation above a slight drizzle.

Genuinely fun but not for everyone
By Michael

1996 BMW 3 Series Coupe 328is 2dr Coupe

BMWs have the reputation of being a car for those to whom driving is more than just getting from point A to point B and this car shows why. It's sophisticated fun especially with a five speed and good tires. Turns everyday boring drives into something to be enjoyed. However on an older car like this you better know how to work on it yourself or know a good independent mechanic who can. A dealer can be really expensive. It's just the price you pay for owning an out of warranty performance car. If you want basic transportation with minimum $$ for maintenance better find something more reliable.

Favorite Features

Really shows its stuff on curvey back roads especially with high performance tires. Torquey engine gets 30+ MPG. Brakes are superb. Lots of aftermarket equipment available. Plenty of help available on line from fellow enthusiasts.

Suggested Improvements

Needs warning label stating "Caution this car tends to incite Mario Andretti like behavior."