Used 1996 BMW 3 Series 328i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Bmw 3-series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Soooo fun to drive! Even with 200,000mi!
By 328i96

1996 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Convertible

This car has by far been the most reliable car I've ever owned. I previously had a '94 325is and a '95 Mercedes Benz c280. The car is alot like my 325is but It has more options and It just looks much better. I have driven this car from DC to NYC many times without issues. The only problems that I've had so far is that the driver electronic seat backrest tilt doesn't function anymore. It just needs a new plastic gear for the seat motor. Another thing is that Over the years the black leather has become severely dried out because of the sun. These minor things dont bother me much. I just love the way the car handles and the looks I get from people when I drive around town.

Favorite Features

Heated leather seats, Auto down windows with key insertion, Handling, and the amazing power.

Suggested Improvements

The cooling system, the valve cover gasket, and the electronic top

SOOO expensive to repair
By Heather

1996 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Convertible

The head gasket is a major issue... YIKES. The engine components are made up of lots of plastic. I have had lots of electrical issues and the convertible top gets stuck sometimes. The top is leaking and caused mold damage to my back seats.

Favorite Features

Cute and fun to drive. Love that tools are built into the trunk lid - nice. The car is solid. I was rear ended and the American SUV almost folded in half and just my bumper folded in the corner.

Suggested Improvements

Everything electrical.

BMW 328 IC Convertible
By Gene

1996 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Convertible

I traded a Dodge Ram Diesel with problems for this vehicle. I have had a few problems. Radio display dim, climate control not working, and fast wear of pulleys and bearings. Overall a very good car and would recommend to anyone looking for a good used vehicle.

Favorite Features

Power top and sport suspension. You ride on a rail!

Suggested Improvements

Electronics are horrible. Windows, climate control and radio/cd changer issues. Find a good mechanic and have him re-engineer them for you.

My First BMW
By Yves

1996 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Convertible

I couldn't pass up the opportunity to buy this car. I have never owned anything close to this car before. I have driven many north american and a few european models and this car's driving experience exceeded all of those and my expectations. The engine is silky smooth right to the redline and puts out plenty of go. Although the auto transmission may not provide as much pure joy as the stick, the manual shift option comes close. The suspension is pure genius. Never too harsh, it provides a stable, confidence inspiring platform at any speed or road condition. Drop the top, and this little white car goes from attractive to gorgeous. Every time I drive it, I can't stop smiling.

Favorite Features

The drop top transforms this car from solid performer to a wonderful driving experience. The very comfortable heated seats are a like the suspension; perfect for any condition. Auto climate control works seamlessly. For do it yourselfers like me, oil and plug changes are a breeze.

Suggested Improvements

OK, let's be honest. The original sound system is barely adequate. The trunk can maybe take weekend stuff for 2 with strategic packing. And the electronics seem way too complex and therefore prone to failure. Any serious malfunction will likely involve a Break My Wallet repair facility.

Fun to drive, have an extra car
By buddy916

1996 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Convertible

I have had this car for about 2.5 years. It drives very well-lots of performance & power, but the usual Beemer electrical crap occurs. Repeated problems with the power top and power locks. Got locked out of the trunk a couple of times too.

Favorite Features

Style and driveability.

Suggested Improvements

Poor visibility w/ top up. Get some japanese guys to do your electronics.