1996 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
Soooo fun to drive! Even with 200,000mi!
By 328i96 on 03/17/13 17:36 PM (PDT)

1996 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Convertible

This car has by far been the most reliable car I've ever owned. I previously had a '94 325is and a '95 Mercedes Benz c280. The car is alot like my 325is but It has more options and It just looks much better. I have driven this car from DC to NYC many times without issues. The only problems that I've had so far is that the driver electronic seat backrest tilt doesn't function anymore. It just needs a new plastic gear for the seat motor. Another thing is that Over the years the black leather has become severely dried out because of the sun. These minor things dont bother me much. I just love the way the car handles and the looks I get from people when I drive around town.

SOOO expensive to repair
By Heather on 02/15/09 07:38 AM (PST)

1996 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Convertible

The head gasket is a major issue... YIKES. The engine components are made up of lots of plastic. I have had lots of electrical issues and the convertible top gets stuck sometimes. The top is leaking and caused mold damage to my back seats.

BMW 328 IC Convertible
By Gene on 06/11/08 17:55 PM (PDT)

1996 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Convertible

I traded a Dodge Ram Diesel with problems for this vehicle. I have had a few problems. Radio display dim, climate control not working, and fast wear of pulleys and bearings. Overall a very good car and would recommend to anyone looking for a good used vehicle.

My First BMW
By Yves on 05/06/06 20:11 PM (PDT)

1996 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Convertible

I couldn't pass up the opportunity to buy this car. I have never owned anything close to this car before. I have driven many north american and a few european models and this car's driving experience exceeded all of those and my expectations. The engine is silky smooth right to the redline and puts out plenty of go. Although the auto transmission may not provide as much pure joy as the stick, the manual shift option comes close. The suspension is pure genius. Never too harsh, it provides a stable, confidence inspiring platform at any speed or road condition. Drop the top, and this little white car goes from attractive to gorgeous. Every time I drive it, I can't stop smiling.

Fun to drive, have an extra car
By buddy916 on 01/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Convertible

I have had this car for about 2.5 years. It drives very well-lots of performance & power, but the usual Beemer electrical crap occurs. Repeated problems with the power top and power locks. Got locked out of the trunk a couple of times too.

Great Date Car
By littlehorses on 07/31/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Convertible

Found it on a used Corvette lot. Sat in both but found my old body liked the BMW better. Every woman in my life perfered the BMW. Drives and looks like a dream.Haven't had all the electrical problems yet except it says to "check coolant" from time to time, nothing wrong. Had to replace the low pressure power steering hose and the fan belt tensioner assembly. At 65K miles the tensioner pulley would scream at start up. Never owned a car that required that fix. The dealer spent close to $1000 fixing or replacing the top cable system.

for autobahn drivers not commuters
By rajdc on 02/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Convertible

I bought a used 328i convertible in 1999. it got too problematic after 100K. who ever said german engineering is superior is crazy! ok maybe the perforance and design...but everything else--total crap. At first it gave me problems with the top. It would get stuck, and just act flaky. The car ran pretty well but had a lot of electrical problems--I mean A LOT! Pretty much everything on the dash was replaced at one point--even the HEATING unit!! spent about $5000 in repair.