Used 1996 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Soooo fun to drive! Even with 200,000mi!
By 328i96

1996 BMW 3 Series 328i 2dr Convertible

This car has by far been the most reliable car I've ever owned. I previously had a '94 325is and a '95 Mercedes Benz c280. The car is alot like my 325is but It has more options and It just looks much better. I have driven this car from DC to NYC many times without issues. The only problems that I've had so far is that the driver electronic seat backrest tilt doesn't function anymore. It just needs a new plastic gear for the seat motor. Another thing is that Over the years the black leather has become severely dried out because of the sun. These minor things dont bother me much. I just love the way the car handles and the looks I get from people when I drive around town.

Heated leather seats, Auto down windows with key insertion, Handling, and the amazing power.

The cooling system, the valve cover gasket, and the electronic top

Excellent car
By rhodesej2

1996 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

When we bought our 328i it had approx 82k miles on it, it now has 150k. In that time we have had to replace the radiator and water pump. At 150k it drives like it just came off the showroom floor. We are very pleased with it. My wife is the primary driver and we are now considering buying a 2001 5 series. The paint is cracking in some places also the ignition switch has presented some problems which was an inconvenience to have repaired. All in all it is an excellent vehicle.

Steering is tight with no play in the steering wheel. Acceleration is outstanding.

not the greatest
By breezibre

1996 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

We got this car in 2008 with 199000 miles it lasted 4 weeks before the check engine light was on. we paid $1700 in repairs just to have the light come on again 5 wks later. we finally donated it in summer 2010 after pouring $7000 into it and still couldnt pass smog. atleast we got to claim it on our taxes right? lol

295k
By mbj5

1996 BMW 3 Series 318is 2dr Coupe

I bought this car 6 years ago with 187k on it. I was a poor college kid at the time and it was a relatively inexpensive car. Well the past 3 years I have driven the heck out of it. An hour commute on the backroads of PA (terrible roads), and an hour commute on highways of MD. I've put 100k on it in those 3 years. I have had to replace a lower control arm, and the heater control unit, so about $500 in parts. The speakers have blown and the radio backlight doesn't show up too well. I nearly get 40 mpg and hammer it on the backroads and never ride slower than 80 mph. Great car! I would love another one.

Agility and 5th gear

Amazing car
By bmw_fanatic

1996 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

This car is absolutely amazing. I've owned this car since 90,000 miles and have used it as a daily commuter, ALL seasons. It has 260,000+ miles on it now and it still runs great. This interior is in great condition and the leather looks amazing and won't just deteriorate on you. The exterior is still in good shape, although rust is beginning to start under the doors. The engine ticks a little bit now as well. Besides that the engine still roars like she's new and I couldn't be happier with this vehicle.

The interior is beautiful, the exterior is beautiful, the engine is fast, and the handling is top notch. I love everything about this car.

Better acceleration pedal (its VERY spongey), a bit better bass for the audio, better gas mileage haha.