Best Car I Ever Owned
By ccs95 on
1995 BMW 3 Series 318ti 2dr Hatchback
I bought my 95 brand new in Bellevue, WA. This car has been nothing short of perfect. I had a 12 year old son, a prairie dog with a cage that was 3' x 4', and we skied a lot! We went to the mountains in snow, sleet and rain...we have experienced several tropical storms and hurricanes...we moved to the Arizona desert. This car has taken us here, there and just about everywhere. We had a minor problems in the beginning... Never any engine problems, we have over 230,000 miles and are still going strong. Wear and tear has had it usual issues, and we are going in for struts this week. Still have original clutch, tranny, (got a rock in the radiator) not the cars fault. Love this car!
Favorite Features
very roomy for my 5'9" frame, can see well out of windows. Cloth interior is tough, no tears, but we have had some spills. back seats look brand new even though I have hauled some hay and saddles in it. Rugs have seen better days. LOL Lost the antenna a few years back. no biggy. Car hums along just fine. A/C has never been the best, but then I was living in Seattle when I bought it. If you change your oil regularly, this tried and true 4 cylinder is a gem. I am hoping to reach the $300k club some day. Great gas mileage! Ask me what I don't like, I can't think of anything except I wish it (as well as myself) weren't aging...haha
Suggested Improvements
One thing that "used" to bug me was the vent over the radio. I had that replaced because the little open/close valve slipped, now I just use a toothpick. They don't make them anymore, but I strongly suggest anyone discuss their purchase with a mechanic in the back when the sales person is not looking. Those guys will tell you what you should buy, not the sales guys. I was steered away from a new engine and told go with the old 4 cylinder. I could have spent more, but I didn't. I trusted the mechanics who work on these puppies all day long. It sure paid off!