318's are very reliable
By Rico C on
1995 BMW 3 Series 318i 4dr Sedan
95 318i sport package. I was lucky. I was owner #2 and the first owner by coincidence lived in the same city as me and took excellent care of the car. I bought it from a used car dealer with 78,000+ mi in 02/2003. I now have about 117000 mi on it and have had 0 problems. I replaced the original alternator, batt. and belts at 100K mi, but everything else (brakes, timing chain, etc. are still in good condition after 10 years). Replaced the belts myself actually. I found a remarkable performance boost after switching to Castrol Syntec 15W-50--instead of Mobil 1. I love this car and when/if I get another car it will be a 3-series.
Favorite Features
Leather seats--I just hate static shocks I get from cloth/velour. The car is inexpensive but high quality! Has both CD Changer & cassette so I can practice my voice tapes. Like the sound of the door closing--built very solid. Like the short shifter. Cornering is so boss!
Suggested Improvements
What's up with the tail light bulbs in German cars always acting funky? Burning out, dimming? Brake dust on wheels--my front wheels get about 1-2 days of clean before they are black again. The shop manuals (Bentley) are not as comprehensive as Honda shop manuals. Repair costs are not too bad.