1995 BMW 3 Series 318i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By mikehd

1995 BMW 3 Series 325i 4dr Sedan

We ordered our 325i to our specs and have put every mile on it since new. In the 11 years of ownership, the reliability has been outstanding. Regular oil changes at 9K miles or so with high quality synthetic oil and she still doesn't use oil between changes. We replaced the sport package shocks/struts & springs with Bilstein Sport shocks/struts and H&R Sport springs, which lowered the car a bit more. This is the agressive stance that the factory sport package should have provided.

Favorite Features

Buttery smooth I-6 engine, handling and responsiveness, brakes are superb. Instrument panel layout and switch location are perfect. Routinely get 28 mpg in my commute (~32 miles one way, highway/city mix).

Suggested Improvements

The newer 3er BMWs seemed to have addressed the e36 body issues with improvements in NVH and power. Factory sport package still too soft.

'95 318IS
By Ken O

1995 BMW 3 Series 318i 2dr Convertible

Purchased this car with 19000 miles on the clock. Have meticulously maintained since. Only significant repair was replacement of the ball joints around 100K. Other than that, only routine maintenance, brakes, tires, tune-ups and fluid changes (I switched to all synthetic). Exterior still looks like new. Plan to keep the car until she reaches 150K

Favorite Features

Reliability. Keep up on the maintenance and you won't have any problems. Handling is great with rear wheel drive and limited slip diff. Interior is still like new at 128K. I get 30 MPG and much of my driving is on the interstate at 75-85 MPH.

Suggested Improvements

Could always use more power, but that applies to every car.

A Bimmer for any season.
By Sid

1995 BMW 3 Series 325i 4dr Sedan

Have owned this one for over 9 years - 325is 5spd with the legendary M techinc suspension. The only odd repair has been a radiator leak needing a new one. All else is simple maintenance of fluids and the odd brake pads. Have over 185,000Km on it and it still behaves new. Give us hill, curving roads and watch the generics fall aprart in your rear view mirror. Impeccable handing. Put on snow tires and run cirlces around any SUV. You will save enough on gas to put your kids through an Ivy league!!

Favorite Features

A curvy mountain road with the sunroof open. More curves more the fun. Hill, what hill?

Suggested Improvements

A little more back passenger room would have helped.

1995 325i Bimmer Sedan from Japan
By Islandreamer

1995 BMW 3 Series 325i 4dr Sedan

Bought this U.S. Spec bimmer from a Japanese dealership with only 42,200 miles on it. The front facia having its masculine and aggresive looks is probably the best stock design worth upgrading to race track standards. Powerplant performance is phenominal specially with add ons. Drivetrain configuration is what you'd expect from high performance cars. Seems like the sheet metal was made to withstand an RPG blast. Interior design is acceptable. Leather seats are nice and firm. Overall, this car is worth keeping and I plan to keep her as long as I can. Although maintenance can get expensive but then again this car was not called "The Ultimate Driving Machine" if it meant cheap maintenance (:-)

Favorite Features

Exterior design. Leather and firm seats. Powerplant and drivetrain match up. Available aftermarket performance and cosmetic add ons. Heavy metal feel and a sense of assurance that it's built to last.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Best BMW below $5000!
By Murtaza Agha

1995 BMW 3 Series 318is 2dr Coupe

This is truly the best BMW that money can buy for less then $5000! I bought this car as a project car, the engine was perfect, body was straight and that's why i bought it. I've had it for about 5000 miles now and everything seems to be great. This car now has a BMW m3 body kit with a JL Audio sound system, its a show car aswell as a Daily Driver! Love it! Good Job BMW!

Favorite Features

The Stick Shift Punch when you hit 3rd gear!

Suggested Improvements

Tilt Steering Wheel should be standard! More Leg Space in the Rear!

This is the worse car I have ever owned
By mimi

1995 BMW 3 Series 325is 2dr Coupe

Bought this coming off of lease and have spend major $$$ from day one. Everything from steering to air conditioning problems. I have needed new brake pads almost annually and there is a strange loud noise while driving. Most of my problems started on day one but got continually worse as 100K miles.

Favorite Features

The drive

Suggested Improvements

Maybe I got a lemon but there are too many improvements to mention in this short of space.

Truly is the Ultimate Driving Machine
By David N

1995 BMW 3 Series 325i 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 1999 with 95,000 miles on it. From commuting back and forth from school I have racked up 240,000 miles on the car. Since then the only real problems I have ever had with it was thermostat, rear shocks (from lowering the car), left rear wheel bearing, and the fuel pump. These are basically all wear and tear parts. I owned a 1985 BMW 325e and it had over 250,000 miles on it. I got into a wreck with it and the officers pulled the badges off the car, gave it to me and said,"This car saved your life. If you were in any other car you would have been seriously hurt or dead." I upgraded BMWs to the 1995 so far this car has served me well. 240k with no eng/trans problems.

Favorite Features

The styling of the car is what instantly strikes you. It is 2005 now and I still get compliments on how the car looks. The styling is absolutely timeless. The car handles like a dream, has power on demand, many different upgrades for different tastes, and has a bullet-proof engine.

Suggested Improvements

Everything on this car is easy accessible. When I changed my fuel pump all I had to do was remove the seat, screw the old one out, and screw the new one back in. Whereas my cousin had to take off his fuel tank, cut a hole in it, and replace it from the inside. 350 dollars... BMW I would change nada.

Just a great ride!
By Zachary

1995 BMW 3 Series 318ti 2dr Hatchback

I bought the car from a friend and used it as my runner car. I find myself driving it more than my other car. It has a feel of quality and ride that just makes it fun to drive again. I haven't had any problems to speak of except I broke the windshield wiper. It was may fault. Great car for the price.

Favorite Features

The feel of the road when hitting the off ramps and the back roads.

Suggested Improvements

I broke the remote door opener and for a 10 year old car, I thought the replacement wouldn't be that much. Come on BMW, it is just a remote!

318's are very reliable
By Rico C

1995 BMW 3 Series 318i 4dr Sedan

95 318i sport package. I was lucky. I was owner #2 and the first owner by coincidence lived in the same city as me and took excellent care of the car. I bought it from a used car dealer with 78,000+ mi in 02/2003. I now have about 117000 mi on it and have had 0 problems. I replaced the original alternator, batt. and belts at 100K mi, but everything else (brakes, timing chain, etc. are still in good condition after 10 years). Replaced the belts myself actually. I found a remarkable performance boost after switching to Castrol Syntec 15W-50--instead of Mobil 1. I love this car and when/if I get another car it will be a 3-series.

Favorite Features

Leather seats--I just hate static shocks I get from cloth/velour. The car is inexpensive but high quality! Has both CD Changer & cassette so I can practice my voice tapes. Like the sound of the door closing--built very solid. Like the short shifter. Cornering is so boss!

Suggested Improvements

What's up with the tail light bulbs in German cars always acting funky? Burning out, dimming? Brake dust on wheels--my front wheels get about 1-2 days of clean before they are black again. The shop manuals (Bentley) are not as comprehensive as Honda shop manuals. Repair costs are not too bad.

sweet ride
By zip

1995 BMW 3 Series 318ti 2dr Hatchback

This car met all my expectations. It's fun to drive (except in rain and snow - it sucks), has enough power and great mileage. I get comments on it all the time. The manual is a must for this little car. Its very spacious for a hatchback, and it handles great, especially at high speeds. The interior is a little cheap, a few cosmetic issues but who cares, its all about the driving.

Favorite Features

tight handling, head turning styling, great mileage ~31-33 mpg. parts are expensive, but not too bad compared to Japanese cars, and just as reliable. everyone who has owned one of these loves it.

Suggested Improvements

BRING THEM BACK. If they were convertible too...Maybe a little more power, a better interior, its throbbing loud for such a small engine. And its very torquey in first gear. Better sound system. Handles bad in rain or snow. But considering the low price tag these have, its more than worth getting.