1995 BMW 3 Series Consumer Review: $$$ Repairs $$$

1995 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Review

318i Sedan (1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

$$$ Repairs $$$
By itzed on

1995 BMW 3 Series 318i 4dr Sedan

This was the best car I've ever driven and the worst investment I ever made. I had a love/hate relationship with this car because I loved the way it drove and hated the constant money I spent on repairs. And the repairs were weird stuff that I've never had happen on any car I've owned before: Brake calipers; ignition switch; door locks; window motor; auxiliary (electric) fan; etc... The list goes on and on, and everything seemed to cost about $500.00 to repair - not cheap. At the same time, I got the feeling that the engine, 5-speed tranny, & most normal wear and tear items would have lasted forever. It was well designed & a blast to drive, but...

The drivetrain w/ 5-speed is exceptionally smooth. Handling is well balanced & the steering feel is the best you could get from any car. Brakes are very good. The car lives for 80-90MPH cruising at 3500 RPM and is silky smooth at speed. Interior is handsome and very well designed.

Armrests built into the doors are hard and could use some padding. Gloveboxes tend to close too loosely. On-board trip computer can sometimes act a little weird, and the seats are a little narrow (and I'm skinny!). Mostly though, oddball problems just happen too often & cost $$$.