Used 1995 BMW 3 Series Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Bmw 3-series - Consumer Reviews

318ti 1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (12 reviews )

Best Car I Ever Owned
By ccs95

1995 BMW 3 Series Hatchback 318ti 2dr Hatchback

I bought my 95 brand new in Bellevue, WA. This car has been nothing short of perfect. I had a 12 year old son, a prairie dog with a cage that was 3' x 4', and we skied a lot! We went to the mountains in snow, sleet and rain...we have experienced several tropical storms and hurricanes...we moved to the Arizona desert. This car has taken us here, there and just about everywhere. We had a minor problems in the beginning... Never any engine problems, we have over 230,000 miles and are still going strong. Wear and tear has had it usual issues, and we are going in for struts this week. Still have original clutch, tranny, (got a rock in the radiator) not the cars fault. Love this car!

Favorite Features

very roomy for my 5'9" frame, can see well out of windows. Cloth interior is tough, no tears, but we have had some spills. back seats look brand new even though I have hauled some hay and saddles in it. Rugs have seen better days. LOL Lost the antenna a few years back. no biggy. Car hums along just fine. A/C has never been the best, but then I was living in Seattle when I bought it. If you change your oil regularly, this tried and true 4 cylinder is a gem. I am hoping to reach the $300k club some day. Great gas mileage! Ask me what I don't like, I can't think of anything except I wish it (as well as myself) weren't aging...haha

Suggested Improvements

One thing that "used" to bug me was the vent over the radio. I had that replaced because the little open/close valve slipped, now I just use a toothpick. They don't make them anymore, but I strongly suggest anyone discuss their purchase with a mechanic in the back when the sales person is not looking. Those guys will tell you what you should buy, not the sales guys. I was steered away from a new engine and told go with the old 4 cylinder. I could have spent more, but I didn't. I trusted the mechanics who work on these puppies all day long. It sure paid off!

My Best Car Ever
By kworben

1995 BMW 3 Series Hatchback 318ti 2dr Hatchback

Bought this car used in 1997 with <20K miles. I have maintained it myself and with the help of the Bentley manual found it easy to work on. With 145K it still has the original clutch. With snow tires and LSD it handles well in the snow. Other than ball joints, have done nothing but routine maintenance. Handles great (I added Bilsteins) and gets 30 mpg on my 80 mi commute. If you find a well maintained low mileage example, buy it!

Favorite Features

Handling, gas mileage, reliability, handling, ease of repair, did I mention the handling?

Just a great ride!
By Zachary

1995 BMW 3 Series Hatchback 318ti 2dr Hatchback

I bought the car from a friend and used it as my runner car. I find myself driving it more than my other car. It has a feel of quality and ride that just makes it fun to drive again. I haven't had any problems to speak of except I broke the windshield wiper. It was may fault. Great car for the price.

Favorite Features

The feel of the road when hitting the off ramps and the back roads.

Suggested Improvements

I broke the remote door opener and for a 10 year old car, I thought the replacement wouldn't be that much. Come on BMW, it is just a remote!

sweet ride
By zip

1995 BMW 3 Series Hatchback 318ti 2dr Hatchback

This car met all my expectations. It's fun to drive (except in rain and snow - it sucks), has enough power and great mileage. I get comments on it all the time. The manual is a must for this little car. Its very spacious for a hatchback, and it handles great, especially at high speeds. The interior is a little cheap, a few cosmetic issues but who cares, its all about the driving.

Favorite Features

tight handling, head turning styling, great mileage ~31-33 mpg. parts are expensive, but not too bad compared to Japanese cars, and just as reliable. everyone who has owned one of these loves it.

Suggested Improvements

BRING THEM BACK. If they were convertible too...Maybe a little more power, a better interior, its throbbing loud for such a small engine. And its very torquey in first gear. Better sound system. Handles bad in rain or snow. But considering the low price tag these have, its more than worth getting.

Love my car!
By wturner1971

1995 BMW 3 Series Hatchback 318ti 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car with just over 50,000 miles. I have since added 80,000 more with no major problems. Never left me stranded! Very peppy. My husband has had it up to 120 mph and says it was still a smooth ride - I don't recommend trying this, though! Fun to drive, still looks new!

Favorite Features

The look is great. It has the convenience of a hatchback, but doesn't look like a hatchback. Love my little digital external thermometer and that it tells me how many more miles I can drive before I'm out of gas!

Suggested Improvements

The wheels get very dirty with brake dust. Need some guards or something. Also, in cold weather the hatch doesn't want to stay up. Bumped my head a few times!